Titleist vs Srixon

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OK the fact of the matter is I have been playing like a bit of a numpty lately and as they are letting the rough grow for the club championship next month I am getting through my Pro V and TP blacks quicker than normal.

I've got a lesson booked for tomorrow but until the swing changes are bedded in and I am playing with confidence again I am looking to swap balls for a while. My choice is between the NXT and AD 333 (unless anyone has a compelling reason to use something else). Cost is not an issue so I don't want loads of replies telling my that one is x£ cheaper than the other.

What I'm looking for is some constructive feedback on how these balls perform, particularly around the greens, given that my greens are firming up now and it is getting it hard to stop any sort of approach. I am aware they will come off my putter hotter too.

Over to my forumers for their words of wisdom

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer, I use both srixon (soft and 333) and titleist balls (nxt tour) but have recently switched to Wilson Staff Dx2 soft.

In my (not very helpful, I realise) opinion, as I'll play with any old lump, this ball is a close to a Pro V as I have come across. Yes, they look a bit wierd, and are slightly cream in colour (I can tell which is mine from 20 yards), but I love them.....can't find anything AT ALL to moan about.

I've hit some crackers off the tee (distance), they are a delight to putt with (though not as buttery soft as Pro V) and at £4.25 a sleeve, great value too!

I'm sold.....

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer, I have used both balls, 333's more than NXT's.

And quite simply, If I had to buy any, it would be srixon's, hands down, everytime. I cant really give you a concrete answer as to why.

AD333's are long(ish) have a nice feel about them, are workable, Land softly and have great putting aid to line up.

Nxt's I find are just ordinary, so much so, i dont really care if I loose them. With the 333's, I always get a bit emotional parting ways with one!

I suggest you buy a sleeve of each and make your own mind up before bulk buying!

Sorry this has prob not helped alot

(P.S you are on about NXT's and not NXT tour aint you?)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave, I have to back that up actually, I have found a couple of them and really enjoyed playing them. Only lasted a few rounds in wet conditions but would love to try them again.

AG had an offer on them last month, I didn't need any balls so didnt get any, now I need some, I may get them.

(I also use soft feels now and then but find I loose a club lentgh of distance compared to 333's, what about you)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also use soft feels now and then but find I loose a club lentgh of distance compared to 333's, what about you

It's a "given" that the green soft feels are a short ball.
It goes to show how dodgy the whole ball specification thing is. It's supposed to be a ball for lower swing speeds....maybe we simply don't swing slow enough?......

DCB

Visit site
Used the Srixon Soft Feel at the weekend whilst playing mixed foursomes. I usually use TM TP Reds and this is my wifes ball of choice. Must say it performed very well, nice off the face of the putter too.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
if it is the AD333 v NXT then The AD333 is a much better ball and I find the NXT somewhat disappointing. The NXT just feels like a disappointment having played the pro v1, even though you are prepared for a worse ball I think you would be disappointed with this lesser Titleist just because it is miles away in terms of performance. The same goes for the NXT tour although to a lesser degree. It really is noticeable the difference between the tour version and the standard ones. If it were me I would definitely opt for the srixon's but that is just because I like them. In terms of performance they are very similar to the NXT tour so I would perhaps try both and see what appeals. Again not much help so if you want a straight answer: go for the AD333.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am currently using Wilson Staff PX3 and can thoroughly recommend them. soft with a good degree of spin but also with good distance. I am using the old version but note that the new PX3 is the first zero compression ball. This should make them even softer than the ones I use.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am with GB72 the PX3 is such a good ball, Please try it out?

They are such value for money and feel like butter on the club face.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Srixon Trispeed is nice and soft, flies high so has a decent chance of stopping and spins decently as well. Not gruesomely expensive either. TMade Burner TP might do the trick from what I've heard but I haven't tried one yet.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
NXT are not as bad as they are being made out to be but .. they are not a pro v.

I have used most. My ball of choice is the pro v1.

But..... I had a dozen 333 as a xmas pressie and I am impressed with the performance for the price but if I had to choose from all the non premium balls that I have had the "pleasure" to hit I would go for the Dx2. It has a lovely feel to it but it does cut up a bit.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How about the Taylormade burner, I play NXT Tours, AD333 then changed to the TM Burner.

Cant be very helpful as its all personal but it is fantastic off the putter. It has th TM logo and the alignment aid for lining up when putting.

With the wedge it peels a bit but I find the cover more durable than the AD333 or NXT.

Off t he driver the feel is great - plus I find I get a few extra yards from it - I generally get the same distance as a Pro V1X.

And lastly, I genuinely like playing a ball that no one plays - most others play AD333 and NXT's so I have no problem with ball identification.

Try a box at £18 they are worth it just to try.

mikest

Club Champion
www.middlesbroughgolfclub.co.uk
Homer, I use both srixon (soft and 333) and titleist balls (nxt tour) but have recently switched to Wilson Staff Dx2 soft.

In my (not very helpful, I realise) opinion, as I'll play with any old lump, this ball is a close to a Pro V as I have come across. Yes, they look a bit wierd, and are slightly cream in colour (I can tell which is mine from 20 yards), but I love them.....can't find anything AT ALL to moan about.

I've hit some crackers off the tee (distance), they are a delight to putt with (though not as buttery soft as Pro V) and at £4.25 a sleeve, great value too!

I'm sold.....

Homer my mate in american golf at home gave me a few sleeves of these to try as wilson gear was on offer in there and he had loads of free sleeves to give away. Anyway I hit one off the first at my home club and pulled it a little into the rough, I looked for around 5 minutes but no-where to be seen, I was about to drop one when someone in front of me about 50 yards ahead of where I was looking souted me, it was my ball with my mark on it. I was gobsmacked! It was ridiculous how far I hit it, throughout the round the ball impressed me off the tee, very true through the air and I have to say I've never hit a proV1 as far off the tee as I hit this thing. I felt although they were soft their performance around the greens were not in the same league as the proV1 or 1x of even the two in the
Z-UR range, but would definately reccomend this ball over the AD333 or NXT balls.

My brother took all the other sleeves I got given and now he uses these balls all the time, he is a 16 handicapp and a consistant golfer and he loves the ball. I would give them a try.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am using the Wilson DX2 soft at the moment. Also fed up with losing prov1s (although I will swap back this weekend). They are ridiculously soft, way too much in my opinion. Like playing with a lump of jelly. Cannot recommend them at all. I don't find them that long off the tee, they aren't great around the green, and I can't putt with them as they need to be whacked.

My clubs shred nxt and nxt tour, so after a couple of holes the ball needs a shave. No good for me. Same applies with AD333s, they look tatty very quickly.

There is no substitute for prov1s I am afraid.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have used both and find the Srixon AD333 a better all round ball, I do though prefer the NXT off the tee from my experience of finding NXTs, but taking the price difference which is about a fiver a box I would say the AD333 comes out on top.

I did receive a sleve of Callaway Golf HX Hot BITE from GM and found them to be like rocks and gave them to my step son, thought the callaway BB are quite good for the same range as the AD333 & NXTs.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Homer

Like you i have been going through my pro v1x's and TP reds at an alrming rate (six in one round!!! :eek:) and have recently changed.

I have tried the nxt, burner tp and AD333. Found the burner tp far too hard for my liking. As a bit of a TM fan i was very dissapionted. There was not much to choose between the nxt and the AD333 but i found the AD333 a little more responsive around the green and surprisingly it was quite soft off the putter face. Once i get my driving back in shape i think i will return to the TP red and pro v1x as none of the above really com close tbh.

There are quite a few at my club who have changed to the Wilson PX3 recently but i can't offer any advice as i have not yet tried them.

County Golf are currently selling last years TP Red/Black at £20 a dozen if you are interested

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of the two, the AD333.
I like Srixon better then Titleist and to me the NXT feels like a brick, can't explain why but the Warbird feels better.

I was quite the opposite i thought the ad333 felt harder .. there you go i prefr titleist.Im not a golf ball snob i'll try anything if it works