Titleist irons

Buckbeak

Visit site
Hi guys,

Does anyone play with/or has previously used Titleist 716 AP2 irons?

I saw a reasonably priced second hand set at my local AG. I currently use Nike Victory Red full cavity irons, and have done for around 5 years.

I'm a 20-handicapper and probably don't need to buy new irons, but I'm playing much more now and getting itchy feet with my current set.

But if anyone has played with them, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers all

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a set that I’ve had for four years. Just bought a new set of Ap3’s

Very soft of the face, look lovely at address.
Depending on what your previous irons are. You may notice a distance drop.

Lofts are the weaker side of today’s irons with the 7 iron being 34 degrees.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
How do you typically strike the ball?

Have you held the club at address and feel confident in hitting it?

Best thing i'd advise is asking to hit a few at AG, see how you feel with them, hit a few AP1's or AP3's to allow you to have a comparison with something with a little more forgiveness so you can determine if it's the right choice. I would stress however don't let anyone put you off because they're more of a players iron as you may well strike the ball well enough, compare them for yourself and review the results.

If you can hit them, enjoy them and you have confidence with them go for it, if you plan on getting your handicap down there a club that will allow you to keep dropping the shots as they have a good level of workability with a little flexibility but not quite as much as alternatives. as you improve you'll be able to do more and more with the clubs so you won't outgrow them.

More traditional lofts than certain alternatives, so not a distance iron like the AP1's.

I picked up my first set of AP2's when the 710 launched off around 16 I used AP2's all the way down to a 4 handicap with the 716's. I then scratched my itch on the MB'S.

Personally I think the AP2's are a great club, they served me well from mid-high handicap all the way down to low handicap.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played the 714 AP2's for a while and loved them. Quite "clicky" off the face but that aint a bad thing.. Not overly difficult to hit, and better looking than most on the market. Upgraded to the CB's now and I'm in love. Just about the purest feel I've ever had from a club..
Anyway, it all depends what shaft is in them..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

Does anyone play with/or has previously used Titleist 716 AP2 irons?

I saw a reasonably priced second hand set at my local AG. I currently use Nike Victory Red full cavity irons, and have done for around 5 years.

I'm a 20-handicapper and probably don't need to buy new irons, but I'm playing much more now and getting itchy feet with my current set.

But if anyone has played with them, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers all

Ive heard a few people who struggle with AP2 because they are blade like almost.. Ive got the AP1s and Im a high handicapper I love them

I wouldnt consider AP2 until im like off 14

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AP3’s are great. Nor as soft a feeling as a forged set, but still a great feeling and I like sound... some don’t....

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played the 714 AP2's for a while and loved them. Quite "clicky" off the face but that aint a bad thing.. Not overly difficult to hit, and better looking than most on the market. Upgraded to the CB's now and I'm in love. Just about the purest feel I've ever had from a club..
Anyway, it all depends what shaft is in them..

Purer than my 6 iron Mr Matsuyama?

😉

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Purer than my 6 iron Mr Matsuyama?

😉
To be fair, that set of yours is pure butter. If you'd like me to describe what a great shot with them feels like, a real low penetrating flight that stops on a penny, then you'll have to buy me a pint this weekend 👍👍👍

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Guy in my work had these and I hit a couple of shots with them now and again.

They do feel good but I would say quite a bit different from hitting my cavity backs, which are dull and unresponsive in comparison. Usually 9 iron or wedge I would try.

I would love to game a set of slim looking clubs like Titleist or Mizuno, but in reality - you need to take all the help you can get.

I'm not sure where the cross over point would be in terms of whether it would be worth having clubs like this.
My guess is you would find these clubs would not go high enough - especially with the longer irons and you would lose distance. Cavity backs launch the ball in air that bit better.

Of course it depends on how you hit the ball.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Guy in my work had these and I hit a couple of shots with them now and again.

They do feel good but I would say quite a bit different from hitting my cavity backs, which are dull and unresponsive in comparison. Usually 9 iron or wedge I would try.

I would love to game a set of slim looking clubs like Titleist or Mizuno, but in reality - you need to take all the help you can get.

I'm not sure where the cross over point would be in terms of whether it would be worth having clubs like this.
My guess is you would find these clubs would not go high enough - especially with the longer irons and you would lose distance. Cavity backs launch the ball in air that bit better.

Of course it depends on how you hit the ball.
Ap2's are cavity backs not blades and they are pretty forgiving. I used proper blades for years, ap2s are much more forgiving and will launch higher than an actual blade, I used a set of ap2s for 4 years roundabouts and they are good irons, just about compact enough to not look offensive but plenty of forgiveness on offer. Ap1 is sort of the more beginner type titleist iron, a beginner most likely wouldn't get much out of anything under a 6 iron anyway regardless of head type, they'd be better off using hybrids up til that point.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Ap2's are cavity backs not blades and they are pretty forgiving. I used proper blades for years, ap2s are much more forgiving and will launch higher than an actual blade, I used a set of ap2s for 4 years roundabouts and they are good irons, just about compact enough to not look offensive but plenty of forgiveness on offer. Ap1 is sort of the more beginner type titleist iron, a beginner most likely wouldn't get much out of anything under a 6 iron anyway regardless of head type, they'd be better off using hybrids up til that point.

Yes - accepted. But they are obviously not as chunky or will have the same low centre of gravity as other 'less sexy' looking cavity backs. See Ping G range for example.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes - accepted. But they are obviously not as chunky or will have the same low centre of gravity as other 'less sexy' looking cavity backs. See Ping G range for example.
They would be classed as game improvement irons I.e cavity backs taken to an extreme. Take titleist cb for example, smaller profile, less forgiving than ap2 yet titleist call it the cavity back

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Lots of Titleist staff players use the AP2 irons. Jordan Speith is one of them so the irons must be OK.
It was at one time the most played iron on tour, it's definitely a great package, though i think other manufacturers have caught up in this particular head type. I personally think the srixon 785 irons are better all round than ap2s

Buckbeak

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. The lack of distance doesn't put me off, if anything, at my handicap, I need something that's more consistent. Think I'll pop back to AG and have a go with them on the range and see how they feel

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had AP2's, then changed for the 714CB's, and now the 716CB's, and love them, Classic, clean, and beautiful off the face. Transformed my shot making, fade/draw etc, but I accept thats not all the Club.
As mentioned, they are standard lofts, not these super strong things sold now, - a friend of mine has recently got the P790 TM irons, and quite frankly, the lofts are stupidly strong, I think its all a bit of a 'marketing fiddle' to fool people,
cos it sure as hell aint about how far you hit it !
9H/C here.