Callaway Rogue ST Max Irons

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Hi all.
Is anyone playing with Callaway Rogue ST Max irons, either currently or has had them in the past?

If so, what did you think of them?
After doing a bit of research, I'm thinking of swapping from Ping irons to Callaway.
The Callaway Rogues get good reviews & look less clunky than the Pings.
The lofts are very strong though compared to the Pings.

Any thoughts?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The "max" irons look less clunky than the Pings?
What Ping irons have you got?
I'd say that since the g400 they are not that big.
ST max have very strong lofts too, 7 is 27.5 and PW is 41. That might be an issue if you hit the ball a reasonable distance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, I've been using them for a year. I did a fitting for them and they were the longest and straightest of the ones I tried so it was a no-brainer really. I have the regular shafts in, they're the Elevate something or other which is a tad lighter, works well for me. 95g or something like that. The heads are extremely forgiving without looking too chunky behind the ball (in my opinion anyway).

As you say the lofts are strong, which I didn't necessarily want, but I couldn't argue with the numbers in the fitting, and I just ended up getting 6 to AW (additional wedge after PW, the AW is 46°). Doesn't really bother me that I'm now hitting 9 instead of 8 etc, as long as I know how far they each go.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
OK, cheers.
I've had Callaway's years ago, but in recent year's I've stuck to ping.
I was after a set of G425's, but I couldn't find a good used set in my spec.
I wasn't too sure about pulling the trigger on the Rogue's as the lofts we're very strong, but they we're at a good price & in my spec, so I went for it.(haven't hit them yet, cos of the weather)
I think the Rogue ST Max OS had weaker lofts, but I couldn't find any & they had more offset which I'm not keen on either.
Problem is now, the ground is so saturated that it'll be very difficult to get a good idea of their performance & the range can only give me a very vague idea as all the ranges around by me use crappy range balls.
Maybe a visit to a simulator is the way to go?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, cheers.
I've had Callaway's years ago, but in recent year's I've stuck to ping.
I was after a set of G425's, but I couldn't find a good used set in my spec.
I wasn't too sure about pulling the trigger on the Rogue's as the lofts we're very strong, but they we're at a good price & in my spec, so I went for it.(haven't hit them yet, cos of the weather)
I think the Rogue ST Max OS had weaker lofts, but I couldn't find any & they had more offset which I'm not keen on either.
Problem is now, the ground is so saturated that it'll be very difficult to get a good idea of their performance & the range can only give me a very vague idea as all the ranges around by me use crappy range balls.
Maybe a visit to a simulator is the way to go?
I'm like you, I've never liked the look of the Ping G# irons over the years, they always look fat and chunky to me. The Max OS stands for OverSize so they definitely would look more shovel-like with more offset.

With the lofts, I did have to get an extra wedge - as I say, just bought the matching AW 46° - but it's only when I absolutely flush one that they might go 10 yards longer than my old irons. On average it's probably only 5 yards longer, which is a good thing really as I tend to hit the same club as before, it just stops being short of the green quite as much. 😄 Loft isn't the be all and end all anyway. In my old irons I used to struggle to hit the 6 iron, whereas in this new set I can hit it alright even though it's 3° stronger than the old one. And my old set were Callaway as well.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The "max" irons look less clunky than the Pings?
What Ping irons have you got?
I'd say that since the g400 they are not that big.
ST max have very strong lofts too, 7 is 27.5 and PW is 41. That might be an issue if you hit the ball a reasonable distance.
I've been looking at the range of lofts. I think they would suit me fine. Quite like the look of them too.
Not too fancy or fiddly.

Ten irons that start 18.5° and finish 56°.
A perfect fit with my perception of 2-SW.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been looking at the range of lofts. I think they would suit me fine. Quite like the look of them too.
Not too fancy or fiddly.

Ten irons that start 18.5° and finish 56°.
A perfect fit with my perception of 2-SW.
Fair point.

How is the gapping at the upper end?

With my ping g425 I have 45, 50, 54, 58.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Yes I was also looking at the lower end of the set. I currently play Ping i25 the PW is 45°
The Rogue PW is 41°
The set I've bought is 4 - AW
The AW being 46°
My next club down is a Ping Glide 56°
So I've possibly got a bit of a gap to fill at the lower end, which is a bit of a pain, as that means possibly leaving something else out.
I really need a period of good weather to be able to get out & test & gap the clubs.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The shaft lengths are unusual in that they appear to be quite short.
I'm used to around 37" to 37.5" as being typical for a 5 iron, which to me is 32 degree loft.
So in this set that's an 8 iron, but the 8 iron has a length of only 36.5"

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my old set I have my Gap wedge a 50° Ping Glide which is my 100 yard club on a full strike.
I'm just curious, how far does your 46° AW go on a full strike?
Well, you and I are not necessarily the same. But I would hit the AW when I'm around 110-115 from the pin, or 105 if I grip down it a bit. For context I'm hitting the 7 iron from 155 (total distance not carry), PW 125.

I needed the AW because my 50° is probably a 90-95 yard club. I had an old 46° Cleveland previously but it was more of a bladey wedge, and I decided to get the Rogue AW/46 and just get new Clevelands in 50 & 54.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The shaft lengths are unusual in that they appear to be quite short.
I'm used to around 37" to 37.5" as being typical for a 5 iron, which to me is 32 degree loft.
So in this set that's an 8 iron, but the 8 iron has a length of only 36.5"
When you go for them, tell the fitter you would like to try +1 inch shafts.

You're welcome. :):):)