Mizuno vs ping irons

Jjones899

Visit site
I currently have a set on mizuno mx-19 irons but I am half tempted to change. My club pro has a set of ping g15 irons with new grips. They feel "lighter" but is that better? Anybody woth experience with either of these irons. I know the mizuno irons are old but do I get them re-gripped and keep practicing and upgrade when im better to a newer set?

I am a high handicapper so am i silly to spend money on annother set of "old-ish" irons

Ian_George

Visit site
I currently have a set on mizuno mx-19 irons but I am half tempted to change. My club pro has a set of ping g15 irons with new grips. They feel "lighter" but is that better? Anybody woth experience with either of these irons. I know the mizuno irons are old but do I get them re-gripped and keep practicing and upgrade when im better to a newer set?

I am a high handicapper so am i silly to spend money on annother set of "old-ish" irons
Indeed, testing them is the best way to compare! Personally, I'd stick to the Mizunos, partly down to my preference of 'any brand' to Ping's 'fugly but effective' shape' but mainly because the G15s are only a couple of years younger, at least in design and initial release, than the MX-19. G15s are one of Ping's 'great' sets of irons though! My Ping devotee mate skipped his normal 'always upgrade each release' policy to keep the G15s!

Last edited:

HPIMG

Visit site
I had ping irons when I was high handicap, good irons as in forgiving but as I got better I hated them. They feel horrible and hard also found it hard to shape my shots with them. I now use mizuno pro irons and they feel so much better and a lot easier to shape the ball about.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I had ping irons when I was high handicap, good irons as in forgiving but as I got better I hated them. They feel horrible and hard also found it hard to shape my shots with them. I now use mizuno pro irons and they feel so much better and a lot easier to shape the ball about.
Think you need to be careful not to over generalise - Mizuno also make game improvement irons, and ping also make 'pro model' irons

Yorkhacker

Visit site

You obviously havent hit any Ping irons recently! The I525 and I230s feel great

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Yes there both cavity back irons and forgiving irons so why would I not compare them ?
Mizuno Pro irons are not cavity back. They are muscle back and there is a difference. In addition, the G425 top line is nothing like the Mizuno top line, and the heads are longer too.
The forgiveness in the Pings is more than the Mizunos, I believe.
I had the i25 irons which were good, but the Mizuno MP20 HMBs that I got fitted for have been better for me. That said, those two irons are a little closer to apples and apples.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I had the G15’s a few years back and liked them, got Mizuno JPX 921 Hotmetal’s now. The Mizuno’s are way better, in my experience. Fantastic clubs, am a confirmed Mizuno convert.

Last edited:

HPIMG

Visit site
Mizuno Pro irons are not cavity back. They are muscle back and there is a difference. In addition, the G425 top line is nothing like the Mizuno top line, and the heads are longer too.
I had the i25 irons which were good, but the Mizuno MP20 HMBs that I got fitted for have been better for me. That said, those two irons are a little closer to apples and apples.
That’s funny mizunos website says there cavity back

Bratty

Visit site
That’s funny mizunos website says there cavity back
Mizuno Pro 221 are forged blades, Mizuno Pro 223 are cavity back, Mizuno Pro 225 are muscle back.
I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that the comparison was being made between the most forgiving iron in Ping's range and Mizuno's range.
The G425 vs the 223 is not a fair comparison, as they are designed differently and to do different things.

Bratty

Visit site

In response to the OP, only you can decide which are better. Hopefully your pro lets you try a short, mid and long iron to get a feel. Some golfers like light, others heavy. It will depend on how you hit the ball with each.
I moved from Ping to Mizuno and much prefer the latter. Best irons I've ever had were Mixuno MX-20s and that's when I was a 21 handicap.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
They may well be the Hot Metal Pro, which as well as being a cavity back also have some extremely jacked lofts.