Titleist Fitting Opportunity!

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Delighted to have been selected for the Titleist fitting with GM! First time I've been selected for any opportunity and I'm super excited!

I applied for the 917 Driver fitting as I'm pretty strong with my Mizuno MP59 irons, but am still rocking the Titleist 910 woods in my current setup, so will be great to test out the latest technology!

I've always been a fairly long hitter, but sometimes a bit offline, so hopefully a custom fit can get me firing straight and long!

I've been nagging the wife about getting a new driver, but with the new baby i've really had to limit my golf spending!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey hey! Hearty congrats!!! Now the rest of us look forward to an evening of hitting the refresh button :D

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha! Thanks for putting me out of my misery!

Nice one chaps enjoy the day, looking forward to hearing all about it!

Like Philly169 I am uber excited, I have never been to a GM day either where we get to keep the toys, so it will be a fantastic experience, Titleist are a great brand and I cant wait to see the outcome of the fitting session, I just hope I can take some sort of half decent swing with me.

H4H on Wednesday and Titleist on Friday, what a cracking week :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Delighted to have been selected for the Titleist fitting with GM! First time I've been selected for any opportunity and I'm super excited!

I applied for the 917 Driver fitting as I'm pretty strong with my Mizuno MP59 irons, but am still rocking the Titleist 910 woods in my current setup, so will be great to test out the latest technology!

I've always been a fairly long hitter, but sometimes a bit offline, so hopefully a custom fit can get me firing straight and long!

I've been nagging the wife about getting a new driver, but with the new baby i've really had to limit my golf spending!
You had better not upset Mike at Hankley, or he might be looking for another forumer.:whistle:

Sounds like a cracking day. Sure you will enjoy.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope you all had a cracking day gents.

Come on then Philly how much further (as if you need it mate 😁 )?

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope you all had a cracking day gents.

Come on then Philly how much further (as if you need it mate 😁 )?

Well.......

In true fitting fashion, when I was hitting my driver they were not going as straight as Hankley! I'd warmed up with some 8 irons from an AP1 set and was flushing them real nice. Once warm we had a look at my current driver and hit a few shots with it. So a bit of background, I bought my current Titleist 910 D2 9.5 off the shelf at Direct Golf, I'd noticed it had an upgrade Diamana Kali Blue stiff shaft in it and thought it would be worth buying that at the standard price and if i didn't get on with it could shift it on.. Fast forward a few seasons and it worked for me as many of you have seen before.

Hitting a few shots with my driver to get the Trackman stats, I hit a few nice ones, but also threw a few of my big misses (right slice) in there for good measure. Looked to be averaging 245 yards, but dispersion was all over the place.

We then started discussing what i want from a new driver, I said I would like to tighten up the dispersion, so my misses are a lot less damaging, and if we can get some more distance then great. So Paul (the fitter) had a look at my club and went into his box of goodies and pulled out the newer version of my shaft and a 9.5 D2 head, standard settings. We began to hit some of those but noticed I was still heading out right. We started playing around with some different shafts, firmer and softer, but always kept coming back to the Diamana Blue. We then had a look at the 10.5, I then managed to start hitting some better, less destructive shots. So we agreed that the shaft was the right one, as I was used to my current shaft and seemed to be playing ball. The next step was to tweak, so Paul added a 13 gram draw weight into the Surefit CG slot, the idea for this was to add that bit of weight to pull the misses back in. We also changed the setup to be A2, which made it a bit more upright.

I started hitting again and saw that we were now a lot tighter in terms of landing zones and spin rates were dropping down to around the 2400rpm mark which is what they are after. There were a few occasions where I even beat the optimizer, this is a trackman feature which works out what should happen from the stats and says you should get x carry and x total.

I was a bit skeptical on a 10.5 as i've used a 9.5 for so long, so I asked if we could try again with the 9.5 head, so we had another go with the same settings but it was clear to see the 10.5 was doing the right stuff.

At the end of the fitting we had a look at the differences between my old and new setup and you could clearly see my landing zones were tighter and i'd gained about 10 yards distance.

My problem was that I was still finding my swing, after having had best part of 6 months off so far with the new baby, consistent tempo is really hard to find , and we looked at a softer shaft which was really going straighter, but once you tried to put some power behind it, the flight wasn't as good, so we agreed that having the newer version of my shaft would benefit me in the longer term.

I'm looking forward to getting down the range with it when it arrives and taking it out on the course, hopefully it can help we reduce the slices which can put me in trouble!

New Setup: Titleist 917 D2 10.5, Diamana Blue stiff shaft, A2 setting with 13g draw bias

Thanks go to GM for giving this opportunity!

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Philly, glad you had a cracking day mate, look forward to seeing you in action during next season mate. May even out a few bob on you at the next H4H mate 😁

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
After an easy journey to the Titleist National Fitting Centre at St Ives in Cambridgeshire I signed in and was directed to the fitting bays where Joel and Dan from GM were already hard at work interviewing and photographing Philly 169 who was testing the new Titleist 917 driver with Paul the Titleist fitter. After introductions I had plenty of time to go and warm up using my current clubs, after a few stretches and hitting a good few balls I felt fully ready for the upcoming fitting which would be done using the Trackman system and would assess me for the brand new Titleist 718 series irons.

Paul the fitter taped the face and sole of my 7 iron and got me hitting of a strike board to assess how and where I was striking the ball, he concluded that the strike pattern was slightly towards the toe (the coaching must be changing my shank thank goodness !!) and the club was a little flat for me.

Strangely Paul after looking at my swing had clearly decided that the magnificent new Titleist muscle back irons were not matched to my game, no worries, looking down at the beautiful new 718 AP1's he put into my hands my confidence soared. We started off with a 7 iron hitting a few shots before switching shafts, I can't recall them all but I think I was using AMT (?) regular shafts although Paul kept switching them around some seemed firmer but he advised that they were all still regular flex.

Distance wise my 7 iron distance went from a carry of 143 yards with my current clubs up to a maximum of 152 yards with the 718.

Looking at the trackman stats Paul decided he could improve dispersion a little more and switched the shaft to a regular flex True Temper XP 90, whilst this took my carry back down to approx. 148 yards we were both very happy with the straight flight and the tighter dispersion, decision made XP 90 shafts would be the ones. I then hit a few shots with the wedge (around 112 yards carry which is about 5 yards up on my existing) and then the 4 iron (around 180 yards carry which is a 8 yard improvement).

All in all I was hugely impressed with the Titleist Fitting experience and Paul the fitter was patient, friendly and professional. Joel and Dan went about their business effortlessly and made the morning a complete delight for which I can only offer my sincere thanks.

I will now be counting the hours waiting for my new clubs to arrive, they will I suspect see their first action within an hour of arrival even if its only up to the range, as AAC is one lucky and excited chap.

For those who might be interested the final specs were:

Titleist 718 AP1 - 5-PW
True Temper XP90 R300 shaft, standard length with black Tour Velvet grips (+1 tape)
Lie 2 degrees upright

Thank you once again to GM for giving me the opportunity and a big thank you to Titleist for the fitting and providing the hardware.

AAC

Last edited: