Tips on playing in wet weather/rain

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've always struggled when playing in showers or constant rain, I dont mind wet weather after rain but during kills me. I know it's the same for everyone playing on our famous weather bug is there any basic tips to help as some players seem to play the same game rain of sun but tend to not give much away

Thanks in advance

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just the obvious really. Keep as much as dry as you can for as long as you can, especially grips and gloves.
I watch the weather while I'm out and if I think its going to rain in the next 5 minutes then the rainproofs go on. I don't wait until it starts.

And don't try too hard. I think most people, when it rains, fight it instead of just going with it and trying to stay smooth.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put your towel under your brolly to keep it dry. Do the same with gloves when your not using them.

I usually carry spare gloves - all weather ones, and a spare towel just in case it gets really bad.

Make sure you have a hood on your bag and try to get the clubs under the hood again as soon as possible.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine always has a yellow marigold in his bag and swears by it in wet weather. I've never had the balls to put on of those on but it really does work.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wet weather gloves really do work. I bought a right-handed one as well in case in gets really bad but not had to use it yet.

Using a brolly holder on a trolley really helps me too. I hate having to hold an umbrella and try to put clubs away, mark a card etc at the same time.

Last thing is don't let it pee you off. It won't make the rain go away and your game will suffer.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Remove all fabric club head covers too, when they get wet, your grips will be damp from rubbing past them when taking and putting back in the bag.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not bothered by rain at all and I know that 50% of the field might aswell not be playing as they lose it in the head. Another 30% lose it soon after it starts to rain and they hit a bad shot or their grips get wet and they start moaning about everything. Just leaves me a few others to fight it out for the prize money.

Simple things make all the difference when it's wet and people amaze me at how little effort they put into trying to keep things dry.

1. Get a brolley holder for your cart , it leaves both hands free to dry things off and replace headcovers,clubs etc
2. Have spare gloves in freezer bags so theyre dry when you need them
3. Carry a couple of towels and hang them up under your brolley , one for drying hands and one for maybe drying your clubface before your shot
4. Get your wet gear on asap
5. Put your glove on at the last minute and take it off straight away and tuck it into a nice warm pocket or hang it up in your brolley
6. Laugh at everyone elses pathetic attempts at playing in the wet , it will give you positive vibes about your own game
7. keep drinking water cos your going to sweat and dehydrate

there are more but ive got to go to work now

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I agree with most of what JD has written above, and this will hold you in good stead in rain. Playing in high wind and rain, where the brolley will turn inside out, or blow your trolley over, is more difficult than 'a bit of rain'. Conditions like that are nearly impossible. There is no way of keeping stuff dry. Get a pair of wet gloves, and a decent set of waterproofs, and then you don't need to faff about trying to keep stuff dry.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Before I started wearing glasses I didn't mind the rain at all. But rain and glasses don't mix. Doesn't matter how hard I try to keep them clean it's like driving up the M6 in the rain with your windscreen wipers wonky.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get yourself the best water proof suit you can find. A pair of Macwets gloves and a waterproof hat.

No need to worry about umbrellas, towels or gloves, dry grips or anything else. Just accept the fact that it's a bit damp and away you go.

Agree with Jammy, when it's raining you've only got to beat 1/2 the field at most because everyone else is either moaning or has given up.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Decent waterproofs, plenty of gloves or a couple of wet weather ones and for glasses wearers like me a good cap is a must. Club up on approaches as the ball won't fly as far or run. Don't get too stressed and accept it will be hard but its the same for everyone so enjoy the challenge.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple of other things you could do to help

Get a gortex mitt for the hand you push your trolley with

Never put a wet ball in your pockets , you need to keep those pockets dry

I also like to keep a smaller towel hung off my trouser waistband but inside my waterproof leggings , great for that last little dry off in a warm place :p

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I also like to keep a smaller towel hung off my trouser waistband but inside my waterproof leggings , great for that last little dry off in a warm place :p

Yeh yeh,...... we know it's for catching those little unwanted 'Ping' dribbles.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Gorrila Gold Grip Enhancer.

Pole dancers and drummers use it to stop their sweaty hands sliding on their equipment. Works very well on golf grips and gloves as well.

I use it in the wet and it makes a huge difference. Of course I do get to 'test' such things.

All the advice about trying to keep the important bits of your kit dry are spot on. I just find it tricky when it's too windy to use the umbrella holder.

Link?

Why not. :eek:

http://www.improvemygolf.co.uk/acatalog/Gorilla_Gold_Grip_Enhancer.html

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did hear earlier this year that if your really soaking and it pissing down a wet hand on a wet grip is just as good.

Not tried it myself yet so not sure if it will work. Anyone else hear anything like this?