Tips for winter golf.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ok, so we now know the not so nice weather is upon us, who has good tips for playing on wet & windy courses. Smiffy would also be greatfull if there was any tips for playing off of the lovely matts that we all get this time of year.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play links courses as more chance of better under foot conditions most parkland courses will be like a bog .
Have an extra layer on at the start when your cold when you start to get round you can take it off if your warm.
Most important a cheeky hip flask :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
steve, i noticed sunday that i wasnt actually cold, and i bloody hate too many layers. top wise i only had a polo shirt & wind sheeter style over top, but i felt restricted. after 4 holes i took the wind sheeter style top off and replaced it with a normal jumper and my hole feel was alot more comfy and alot less restricted.

to say it was a turning point in my round was a understatement.

I also tried Macwets trhis weekend for the first few holes and playing with 2 gloves was very alien, im not sure if i should have tried just one wet glove, but in the end they both got bagged and i was back on my normal all weather footjoy again with beter results

i think from sundays round alone i picked up a few tips that will carry on through the winter.

* committ to straight or uphill putts

* playing into greens play one club less if in doubt, the ball will/should stop if you hit to the back of the green, but the front of nearly all greens were soft and offered no run

* have a decent coffee before i start!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some one told me that if you hit the mat before the ball it imparts top spin and the ball goes further.

Use fewer clubs, I sometimes only take out a half set this helps me become more versatile with my irons leaning to play different types of shots with them

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My advice, stay at home and practice short game in the warmth and comfort of your living room.
Chip balls into laundry basket, moses basket, babys car seat or anything else you can get hold of.

Include the cheeky hip flask for added fun, but remember to blame damage on the dog!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It is almost impossible to put top spin on a golf ball with any semblance of a normal swing, and if you did, it would carry about 50 yards. Top spin is what keeps a tennis ball in the court, it isn't suitable for distance. A ball needs a minimum amount of back spin to stay in the air, around 2000 rpm. Any less than this, and it will drop like a dead hamster.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have seen guys scuff balls off a mat with the driver, the ball didn’t travel far in the air but rolled a very long way on a hard fairway.

never tried it myself.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I noticed that yesterday, for a few holes you didn't ;)

Had nothing to do with the mats OS.
The holes I played reasonably well were due to reasonable chipping and putting.
Off the tee yesterday? Forget it.
I only hit one drive to be proud of and not one iron on a par 3.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our club doesn't use them but are pretty good at moving the tees regularly to stop too much damage and compaction. The best tips I know for winter golf are to warm up (muscles don't like being cold) and club up as the ball won't travel as far in the air, you won't hit is as hard with extra layers on and it won't run when it comes down.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Get yourself some M & S thermals. Very snug and keeps everything nicely tucked in. You can also scare the crap out of HID when she first sees you in them. :D :D :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's interesting about matts and tee's. Westerham on Sunday I beleive had no choice, the tee areas are protected by woodlands which is great for summer but poor in the winter as they don't get the wind or sun to dry them. The ones that were tees were very damp and dispite it not being nice or ideal I can see all tees there being matts pretty soon. No fault of the course but to protect the tees for spring, which is a good thing for members.

It's funny as matts dont tend to bother me too much. As a kid I played a local 9 hole which is matts 365 days a year and most ranges are matts also and as I use the range often matts are quite familiar.