Tiny Steps Forward

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a day off today and so took myself off to the club. I've got my original Ping Anser 2 cut down to 34 inches with a nice new Winn grip on and so was desperate to try it out. I use to love it as a junior and then we had a falling out. It came back into action in the late 90's and the turn of the century but has been retired for about 10 years.

I hit the ball really well at the range yesterday and so was hoping to make progress on the course. Went out on my own to give me a chance to swing and play in my own little world. The initial signs are that the swing from the range is holding up. I went out in 15 points thanks in part to a couple of poor shots, a duffed chip and a three putt.

The back nine was in and out but I made a couple of sand saves (rare for me) and there were some good shots in amongst some bad ones although in my defence I caught the back of a seniors roll up and so wasn't going to go anywhere and so the old concentration went a bit. I ended up hitting two bals to give me some space.

The new putter behaved pretty well and I had 33 putts including that one 3 stab. The feel from the beryilium face is lovely and soft and it has a great roll. Now its the right length I have high hopes.

The only thing that is letting me down still is the chipping. I have less than zero confidence and it's making it impossible to play even simple shots. I start to think too much and worry about the duff before it happens. On the positive side I went to the putting green after a wonderful sausage bap and pot of tea and had a eureaka moment. If I keep the clubhead pointing towards the hole after impact I am making better contact although it is a bit chicken wingsy. Not ideal but as a short fix it might have the potential to help at least until I can get a lesson to sort it.

The course was in good condition. A few patches of casual water but no flooded bunkers or puddles on greens and given the soaking we had yesterday it is playing great. Some of the fringes are a bit soft which doesn't help a dubious chipping stroke but all in all a decent day with a 31 point haul.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re chipping i took on board advice someone put on here. Weight on left hand side, steeper takeaway and lower follow through. Works a treat for me and that part of the game is looking good.

What happened to the Odyssey putter that was going well? Fall out with that one?

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Homer have a look at the GM Gary smith short game app. Sorted my pitching and chipping out no end. Would also recommend a 1 a week short game range session. I go on thurs and only take my vokeys 50/08 and 56/14 and practice 50 yards right down to 10 yards where chip and run isn't suitable based on lie. This specific session gas got me over quitting half way through and making sure I follow through and rotate my body to face target. Sounds easy on paper bit trust me it works!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought you said you had a v-easy,doesnt that help with chipping,and boost your confidence in the process.Play more chips with a 7 or 8 iron Homer and get the ball rolling,more of a safer play,imo

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Play more chips with a 7 or 8 iron Homer and get the ball rolling,more of a safer play,imo

Sound advice. I learnt from my grandad at st andrews who alwqys told me to get it on the ground whenever possible. I still do it now, 7 or 8 iron with putting grip and it does take out a lot of risk. Only where i cant run it to the hole does the wedge come out.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive always chipped with an 8iron from just around the green, or the 54* if further away.

Certainly easier to roll it to the hole than to fly it in.

bluenose10

Assistant Pro
www.collingtreeparkgolf.com
I struggle with my chipping so sometimes if I'm close enough use me hybrid to bump and run it. I find this helps with a long run down the green not very good if the hole is only 6 foot away tho as it runs too much.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tiny steps is what it's all about Homer. Try chipping with your forearms connected to your chest. It forces you to keep you arms out of action and stay in sync. It's something I used to do a while back, not sure why I stopped really. I went back to it last week and my contact was much improved, no fats or thins. Also keep your weight on your left side and hands ahead of the ball through impact.

If you like I'll show you what I mean on Saturday, I'll swap it for some tips on reading the greens :D

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dare I say it... Have another lesson! :)

If you struggle with confidence there's only one way to overcome it. Get out there on the practise green and get your wedges out and don't leave until you've improved. It only takes one shot where the penny drops and your away then.

Good luck Martin!

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As far as chipping goes you just really need to put the work in imo.
I posted a few weeks ago about how poor my chipping was and how i hated it. since then I must've spent around 14 hrs practising on my clubs par 3 course and now its a strong part of my game and I actually enjoy the challenge of a tricky chip shot!
I'm not saying I'm the new mickelson by a long shot but I just have so much confidence when chipping now that I enjoy it, I'm even taking my wedge out if I'm just on the fringe with loads of green to play with, a shot I usually would of used a 7/8 iron to eliminate most of the risk, because I did a kind of comparable session between clubs and got better results with my wedge. All my usual playing pals have noticed the difference and its saving me shots!
I really believe that people can spend far too much time on the range trying to create and build the "perfect swing" when time would be better spent just chipping and getting really comfortable with your wedges, after all any golfer worth his salt knows that its all about the short game!