Time to Take Nike Seriously?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if any else had the same experience but many of the golfers I have played with treat Nike clubs as a bit of a joke. They see them as gimicky and clearly not a patch on the more establised manufacturers. They may sponsor Tiger Woods but, as far as they are concerned, he does not use their clubs anyway.

I notice, however, that Nike sponsored all of the top 3 finishers in the Masters, are more than likely to pick up at least one more major this year through Tiger and it would not be out of the question for them to take all 4.

Nike have pretty much always become the market leaders in any sport they enter (who would have seen them as being as involved in football and rugby as they are) so could this year be the one for them to make a charge to the top of the golf leaderboard?

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it just them buying tournaments ala chelsea,to say they will pick up a major is just like saying taylor made will win a major.Top tour pro's are using nike gear but how much are nike paying for them to use it?,would they prefer something else but the money is to good to turn down.These are all questions that should be taken into account.with out a doudt
with the money nike are pumping into research and development they must have some good products on the market.I still wouldn't put my money in their coffers over the more established brands out there.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would take them seriously, certainly. I really like some of their irons (forged cci), and I think they have done interesting innovative things with their woods. I have also used their balls.
I don't get why people rubbish them so much. I can't see why, however much money the pros are paid, why they would agree to play with rubbish clubs. This is their career we are talking about.
Bear in mind their wedges came out top in a recent comparison test too.
Yes, alot of their stuff is made in sweat shops in the far east which gets them bad press, but do we really believe the other manufacturers are not doing this?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have always taken Nike seriously, I have nothing in my bag from the "big four", its the mentality that these companies want from golfers that says "if you are serious about golf you have to show you have one of these brands in the bag" attitudes from them. Its the same in many sports and Nike is also one of them in most sports, its just swings 'n' roundabouts and cash.

ACP

Club Champion
Visit site
Although I don't play Nike (and probably never will)I don't think they can be simply dismissed and not taken seriously. They employ club designers that have worked with the "Big Boys" and who have been responsible for some of the best irons of recent years. I'm sure I saw a programme on this which included an interview with Nike's chief club designer who said he had previously worked for Hogan (designed Apex irons) and Titleist?

No matter how much they pay in sponsorship - if you're a serious tournament contender you wouldn't play with sub-standard gear ............. would you!?

ACP

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
As Mick said, Nike probably are one of the highest spending sponsors, and have the budget to blow on guys like Tiger. Similar to Ferrai being one of the few teams that could afford Michael Schmacher. There was once a well known yacht skipper that was sponsored for a round the world race by one brand of fags, which he didn't smoke (top athletes these yachters!) and consequently he had his preferred brand shoved into the sponsors brand packets.

It would be interesting to see what the pros would choose to play with given a completely free choice.

B

birdieman

I've played a few Nike clubs, the Ignite driver I used to have is still the longest driver I've hit. I was impressed by their SV wedges too, had a 54 and got some serious spin off it, felt good too.
I played the One platinum ball last year, very hard wearing for a premium ball, good all round ball.
Only Nike gear I have currently is a pro-combo trolley bag, happy with it.
Over the piece Nike kit has not disappointed me bar one polo shirt which lasted 2 washes before it lost it's shape.
Currently have a thing for Titleist again! :rolleyes:

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have mentioned this before, I was at the '99 Scottish Open and Lee Westwood was using the Titleist 983 driver and when asked what Ping would say he told me they would rather he had his PING bag, hat and kit on telly for the weekend using the Titleist driver or just Thursday and Friday by using the ISI driver they had for him. Incidently it was all blacked out ond in a Ping heacover.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously from my bag you may think I am biased but....

When you say they are one of the biggest spending sponsors - there are only really 4 big sponsors anyway. TM are by far the biggest spending by chucking money at anything that swings a golf club half decently - Nike tend to be a bit more selective and obviously a quite good a picking out talent - Woods, Immelman, Choi, Fisher, Wie, Casey....

Whoever told you that TW uses someone elses clubs with a tick on them is talking a load of old balls......

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a Nike Sumo Lucky 13 driver last summer. It gave me nothing I did not already have. Sold it on eBay after a month.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Woods wedges are allegedly Miura forged blades, with the swoosh on them. You can't buy them.

I tend to believe this after all don't you think Nike would be trying to sell the same blades Woods plays with? Just think how many people would buy them!!

I think Nike stuff is just as good as the other big guys. I think the envy/disparaging opinions have arisen due to the fact that they have Tiger.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
We should take Nike seriously, of course, they make excellent golf gear (shown regularly on unbiased/independent tests) and have smartened up their act big-time over the years. I don't have a problem with anyone enjoying using their gear and wearing the swoosh with pride.

If you like Nike and feel your life is too short to get strung up on social responsibility, better quit now.

BUT, I wouldn't go near Nike products ever. They epitomise the American capitalist dream.....and that dream, in my opinion, involves the exploitation of the poorest labour markets in the world, the exploitation of the poorest domestic buyers, and the belief that the harder you push (though TV advertising & major sports personality sponsorship) and the more you expose the brand to the world, you can make grotesque profits from cheap products. I'm not talking so much about the golf per se, but back in the 70s Nike made their trainers for less than any other brand and cynically marketed them at the poorest kids who had nothing better to do than sit at home, watch the TV and be force-fed the American consumerist dream. In the 70s Nike moved their production of trainers from Korea to Vietnam to save 12c on the production costs on a shoe that was made for under $1 and was retailed at over $40.
Much nearer to today, the 800 Vietnamese workers pulled a strike in 1997 over pay. Nike had told the world that it would hold good to it's $2.50 a day minimum wage agreement, but the factory owners were paying all but the best workers under $1 a day and told them to leave if they didn't like it. $1 per day! for goods with a retail value of $250,000 per day leaving the factory for shipping every 24 hours.
I know the other companies use cheap labour as well, but the Chinese are getting their act together and the majority of good factory owners (I can only speak from my experience of importing stuff (not golf clubs)) are getting the right deals for everyone involved. In 2000 Nike stock was looking close to collapse, but they have pulled it back with some good business and I wish them luck......I'm not going to forgive them though for the past......making money is not a sin, but exploiting everyone along the way is......
The American dream eh...?...

T

thecraw

This Tiger not using Nike stuff is aload of pants. Do you honestly believe that?????

It was like the old story that Daly didnt use Wilson Firestick shafts and that it was steel shafts painted, absolute bollocks.

I have a Nike Sasquatch 4 Wood which I love, it sits awesome and the Diamana shaft is superb in my opinion! I have bought a dozen Nike One Black balls today which I have never tried and I thought lets give them a go.

I like a slightly firmer feel to a ball and currently use either Taylor Made Black or Srixon Z-URS so I thought I would see how these go.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I just sold my Nike SUMO Driver - It caused me to loose some sleep last night.
Its a mighty tool for the high handycapper. All my playing partners who have tried it loved it.

Nike have the money to buy their way in and then spend massive amounts on R&D so it can only be good that they are now here.

Also their clothes are pretty good, but I still prefer Ashworth cotton rather than Nike etc's new tech materials.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Michelle Wie - Talent my arse, the biggest over hyped load of shite ever.

There are so many rumours about Tiger not actually using certain Nike items. Heard the one about his wedges, also heard that his blades are infact Mizuno's. Is there any truth in it? How are we to ever find out.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never been a huge fan of their clothes. They look fine but the price is a little high for my tastes. I do, however, like their woods. My SQ hybrid is great and when I eventually decide to switch to a 10.5 degree driver then a non square Nike will be high on my list to try. Never hit a Nike iron as they had nothing to take my fancy when I was last looking. Would be intrigued to see how they feel compared to some of the other, more established brands. Certainly their wedges are good and a fair bit cheaper than their rivals.