Time to Take Nike Seriously?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Tiger played Nike branded Miuras when he moved to Nike originally, but now definately plays Nike forged blades. I think his irons were Miuras even when he played Titleist back in the day. Bear in mind Nike only really started making clubs when Tiger moved, and so they were unlikely to develope a set for Tiger that quickly.

The odd thing is he still uses a blacked out Ping putter grip, which Ping apparently make now only for him. You would think Nike would just copy it, and put Nike on it. Can't be that difficult.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Michelle Wie - Talent my arse, the biggest over hyped load of shite ever.

I'd still rather be looking at hers, and not yours :D

Lets assume for a moment that Tigers irons are available on the open market, how many of us could actually use the things anyway? However there might be a worldwide market for it.

I've also noticed that with all the market launch and promotion of the original Sumo square driver you can now pick up a new one for £149. Thats had a very short shelf life at the original price, and its already been updated.

If Tiger is using another brand of club marked with a swoosh then surely that is just so wrong. Well morally anyway. But I guess that secret will stay a secret as long as what really is at Area 51, or whether Diana and Dodi were killed by the State.

To me Nike is shiny tracksuits, rappers, hoodies and school kids. Okay so I'm a snob, but customer perception is everything in retailing, and I can't knock the strides that Nike have made in the golfing world. An outstanding example of taking on an already established market. Puma are also trying to move in on the golf market, but with limited success from what I can tell. Talking of which, anyone tried JJBs 'new' golfing instore golf shops yet?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
The odd thing is he still uses a blacked out Ping putter grip, which Ping apparently make now only for him. You would think Nike would just copy it, and put Nike on it. Can't be that difficult.

Tiger uses a Scotty Cameron putter and the wiggly Cameron writing was clear on the grip at some stages of the coverage.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tiger uses a Scotty Cameron putter and the wiggly Cameron writing was clear on the grip at some stages of the coverage.

Well, yes it was, I'd noticed that. Phil also quit using his odyssey for the last round.......and went back to some random blade thing.
Poor Westwood must have been putting with his ancient Woolworth's special.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to thread this last week but refrained so here goes.

I was told by a club Pro that ALL Ping clothing is infact made by Umbro. I remember a couple of years back I bought Ping waterproofs from JJB and the made me sweat like a prozzie in confession and when I returned them the store guy told me they were rubbish made by Umbra under licence and it appears they now do all their clothing.

So will this info stop you buying that £60 jumper?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Tiger has always used a scotty newport, but previously with a ping grip. If he has changed it, it is a recent thing, as the ping grip he has used has been the same since he turned pro. Still odd that Nike don't make the grip, even if he won't change putters.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose if there is something really distinctive and impresive about the grip it may be patented.

No doubt about it though, nike clubs should not be dismissed I absolutely love my slingshot hybird, and am edging towards buying the sasquatch 3 wood over the G10 at the moment. And as for Tiger using another brands clubs I'm sure they would not allow Nike to reproduce them with a nike tick as even if Nike paid them majorly for this privelage, it would be worth far more to them if they were to reveal that it is their clubs that he uses.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
This Tiger not using Nike stuff is aload of pants. Do you honestly believe that?????

It was like the old story that Daly didnt use Wilson Firestick shafts and that it was steel shafts painted, absolute bollocks.
It may not be the case now, but for sure some pros have and still do not play the clubs that they purport to be. Harrington for example didn;t play Wilson on the Hoylake Open wich I witnessed first hand.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to say (sorry Dave) that I have always liked Nike trainers. Unbelievable as it sounds I use to do a lot of running and their shoes were the best for half marathons etc as was their running gear.

I think their emergence into the golfing market has been a good thing for the club golfer like us. They have produced some quality clubs which has forced the other company's to raise their game and improve too. They have introduced some decent clothes (albeit some of the designs like the coffin shaped chees grater - the shirt last year with the coloured panel and air vents - aren't to my taste). The wife bought me a couple of sleeveless jumpers for £20 a pop and they are pretty good.

I don't necessarily think they will be market leader especially in areas like putters. Ping, Scotty Cameron, Odyssey and even Taylor Made will in my opinion continue to be bigger better players in this niche and I don't think their top end balls will ever compete with Titleist.

What they do offer though is a different choice at a reasonable price. They will only continue to grow especially as Tigers dominance continues. Sadly there are many golfers who buy because its what Tiger plays, but there also 18 stone 35 year old Sunday morning footballers in top of the range football boots because it's what Rooney wears. That is the power of advertising.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I love Nike stuff, I think it looks great and that gives me confidence but more importantly it plays better for me and for my game than any other stuff thats why I'm using it. I love my Sumo Driver - I could never hit a draw with a driver before but I'm finding it pretty easy with the Sumo - I only play 2-3 times a week but I find when I come to shape a shot with the driver, we get on very well. The 3 wood and rescue club are great additions to me (if theres a more workable rescue on the market than the Sumo model then I'm happy for the owner) and the blade irons are just a joy to play. Seriously the back spin they generate is just funny.
This talk of Tigers irons had me thinking - his Nike blades have the swoosh in the centre of the head rather than the 2001-present model which has the swoosh on the left corner....either this is a prototype TW model, his own preference or something else entirely. But its pure folly to suggest that Duval (world number 1), Woods (World number 1), Cink (Multiple Major contender), Immelman (major winner), Casey (Matchplay champ), KJ (PGA Tour multiple winner for consecutive seasons) would play anything other than the best equipment they could lay their hands on. Its not John Letters or Benross we're talking here.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried a nike pro fit vest last night to see what they where like. Thought i was gonna be roasting in it playing football, as i had my United top over it. Gotta admit when the wind blew before the game it kept me warm, and when i was hot it kept me cool, magic.

Liked it so much i went into the nike shop today and bought 4. Even got 40% discount too so they worked out at £6 each, they normally sell for £25 each. Bargain. Nike clothing is normally good gear. Not sure about the golfing equipment.

Also picked up a black nick windstopper that should of been 26quid for 14quid. Will let you know what its like after i have tried it!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To give Nike their due, they know how to advertise on the back of a victory. Every shop and website has adverts for Nike kit in prime positions and banners about the Masters results.
Compare that to Wilson who hardly put out an add in the aftermath of Harrington's victory and only started making the most of it about 6 months later when the public interest had died down.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reagarding my last post, No complaints from me, top bit of kit.

Was freezing at range when i turned up, my pro vest kept me warm.

And when i got going and things started to heat up, my pro vest kept me cool.!

Well done Nike!