Tied After 18

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Quote from post number 1”But there is confusion over 4BBB if tied, some matches have played extra holes with no shots given, some have played extra holes with shots given in same same way as start of match.

Going back to original post PJ and trying to return on track for 4BBB

How can there be confusion and who is running the Comp in case there is a dispute? One of them must be wrong.

If the original rules have been lost when was The Comp played to the original rules?

After such a long period of time how appropriate would it be to rewrite the rules so that there is clarity for next year and put this year down to experience?

D

Deleted member 16999

Quote from post number 1”But there is confusion over 4BBB if tied, some matches have played extra holes with no shots given, some have played extra holes with shots given in same same way as start of match.

Going back to original post PJ and trying to return on track for 4BBB

How can there be confusion and who is running the Comp in case there is a dispute? One of them must be wrong.

If the original rules have been lost when was The Comp played to the original rules?

After such a long period of time how appropriate would it be to rewrite the rules so that there is clarity for next year and put this year down to experience?
Last time for clarity.
Both comps have been played since the early 20’s, the singles in 1920.
I know the Comps are not compliant with current CONGU Regs.
They are very popular with all members and all handicaps and everybody knows the rules before they start (or at least we thought they did till this year) this year we had one member who coincidentally went to extra holes in both his singles and his doubles, he and his playing partners disagreed on the rules for a tie and asked the comp committee, again the original rules are lost and have differing notes on some of the paperwork from over the years.
I opened the thread to see if any of the guys on here may of come across anything like this and to provide some advice.
There are a few things were the Club are “stuck” in the past or believe “they can do what they want” these particular comps and the format was raised on our AGM in 2016 and after the issues were explained members still voted they wanted to retain the original format.
What I don’t need is 3-4 people quoting CONGU, I know the issue.
Eventually, in time I am sure the formats will be updated, for now the club is obviously willing to “risk” flaunting CONGU rules for the sake of history and tradition.
I’ve apologised once on this thread for it going off track but unfortunately some saw the need to keep contributing the same point.
I’d be very happy if this thread was deleted.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Might be worth giving Frank, the Sec, at Cleveland a ring. They run, or used to run, a similar singles comp, called the Calcutta Cup.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Seems crazy why a club can't run an informal competition to their own rules if they want to - make it a non-qualifier and call it 'Our 20's-style historic match-play competition', and not as a formal match-play comp.

Or is that just too simple?

3-clubs and a putter, vintage club comps - what's the difference between those and the ones the OP described if they are all non-qualifiers?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems crazy why a club can't run an informal competition to their own rules if they want to - make it a non-qualifier and call it 'Our 20's-style historic match-play competition', and not as a formal match-play comp.

Or is that just too simple?

3-clubs and a putter, vintage club comps - what's the difference between those and the ones the OP described if they are all non-qualifiers?

It's nothing to do with qualifiers. Performance in properly handicapped and properly run matchplay competitions can be used as additional evidence in the Annual Review.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest you simply follow the standard (Congu of course!) guidelines for matches that are all square after 18 - where shots given are reset to as they were on hole 1! At least that part would be 'conforming'!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd suggest you simply follow the standard (Congu of course!) guidelines for matches that are all square after 18 - where shots given are reset to as they were on hole 1! At least that part would be 'conforming'!

Too obvious for the doubles, and would require an 18 hole play-off for the singles format.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
It's nothing to do with qualifiers. Performance in properly handicapped and properly run matchplay competitions can be used as additional evidence in the Annual Review.

Yes, I know that - you are missing the point though. I'm suggesting that a club should be able to run a 'fun' competition if they want to, so long as it is made obvious what it is. I can't see the harm in that.

Loads of clubs run 3 clubs and a putter or similar competitions, and they have to be non-qualifiers as they don't adhere to the rules of golf. I don't see the difference, or should they be banned too?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I know that - you are missing the point though. I'm suggesting that a club should be able to run a 'fun' competition if they want to, so long as it is made obvious what it is. I can't see the harm in that.

Loads of clubs run 3 clubs and a putter or similar competitions, and they have to be non-qualifiers as they don't adhere to the rules of golf. I don't see the difference, or should they be banned too?

I think Rosecotts point is that if a handicap basis exists for a competition format it should be used; especially singles formats.

Clubs have always been able to make up their own competition formats, and for many there's no prescribed handicap basis. It's no coincidence that the further you go from a single player performance based competition the less prescribed handicapping occurs eg Texas scramble.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Too obvious for the doubles, and would require an 18 hole play-off for the singles format.

Indeed, a fairly daft format for the Singles - 'unfairly' weighted towards the lower handicap.

But a chance to 'save' some of the integrity of the doubles - which was the format the OP was seeking comments on.

Last edited: