Tied After 18

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

I'm really confused by this...

So if Player A is off 2 and Player B is off 28, the difference is 26 and 50% of that is 13, so player B is 13 up with 18 to play? That's hilarious.
Seeing as you’ve got it exactly right, how are you confused?

How many holes would you expect the 28 handicapper to par playing off scratch?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seeing as you’ve got it exactly right, how are you confused?

How many holes would you expect the 28 handicapper to par playing off scratch?
I'm "confused" why the club feels the need to change from the usual CONGU agreed process.

And it doesn't matter how many pars the 28 handicapper gets. He just has to beat the number of shots the player off 2 has.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm "confused" why the club feels the need to change from the usual CONGU agreed process.

And it doesn't matter how many pars the 28 handicapper gets. He just has to beat the number of shots the player off 2 has.
If you read all the posts you’d see this is a comp that was played in this format before CONGU came into existence, first contested in 1920, it’s one of our oldest comps, the members like it and voted for the format to stay.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm fairly confident that members of an affiliated club cannot vote to ignore any CONGU rule.
They can’t - as the rules say in Congu all affliliated Clubs “must” follow the HC rules for all comps - it’s not a guidelines it’s a rule. There will be clubs that will ignore it of course but the rules are there for a reason

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm fairly confident that members of an affiliated club cannot vote to ignore any CONGU rule.
I appreciate that Jim, but that point has been raised and it’s not worth simply going round in circles.

D

Deleted member 16999

They can’t - as the rules say in Congu all affliliated Clubs “must” follow the HC rules for all comps - it’s not a guidelines it’s a rule. There will be clubs that will ignore it of course but the rules are there for a reason
Strange when we have Dress Code discussions you are all for members wishes being respected, regardless what others think.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Dress Code is something that a Club has complete control over!

By 'signing up' to Congu, for all the advantages that brings, a Club has also signed up to 'obeying the Congu Rules!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm really confused by this...

So if Player A is off 2 and Player B is off 28, the difference is 26 and 50% of that is 13, so player B is 13 up with 18 to play? That's hilarious.
OK Taking things to absolute extreme here. What if player A is off +2 and player B is off 36!!!

D

Deleted member 15344

OK Taking things to absolute extreme here. What if player A is off +2 and player B is off 36!!!
Then player b gets 38 shots - as per HC rules in Congu , both players will be their respective Hc’s For a reason. I have had to play a 32 HC and have them 28 shots , the match was over by the 14th as we shook hands and i won. The Handicap System is there for a reason to try and level the field - people always seem scared of people with high handicaps in KO

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not even absolute extreme....

The crux of the matter is that a competition basis suited to a maximum handicap of 18 (at the time the comp started), and maximum differential of about 23, is going to run into issues when the handicap basis changes etc etc.
They may well have a max handicap for the competition to keep it playable - fine by me.

The only real issue is in raising issues about such a comp here, or with CONGU or the R&A - all three will basically respond the same way (the way this thread started).

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then player b gets 38 shots - as per HC rules in Congu , both players will be their respective Hc’s For a reason. I have had to play a 32 HC and have them 28 shots , the match was over by the 14th as we shook hands and i won. The Handicap System is there for a reason to try and level the field - people always seem scared of people with high handicaps in KO
I think 3offthetee's point was that 19 up with 18 to play is a tough starting point....or something similar. Nothing to do with handicapping!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think you've missed the point he was making...

D

Deleted member 15344

Apologies just got it - I suspect in that scenario the HC’s will be manipulated so that a maximum of 28 can enter or you can enter but must play of 28 so that the maximum shots ( or holes up ) will be 14 maybe - either way it’s a ridiculous format that goes against Congu regs and also would suggest the spirit of the game

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Not seeing what the fuss is about
Presume the comp isnt a qualifier, its an internally run club match that affects nothing outside the club.
this should be treated in the same way as Texas Scrambles etc, they can play the rules they want,

Its been played since forever, let it go, get a life etc etc

D

Deleted member 15344

Not seeing what the fuss is about
Presume the comp isnt a qualifier, its an internally run club match that affects nothing outside the club.
this should be treated in the same way as Texas Scrambles etc, they can play the rules they want,

Its been played since forever, let it go, get a life etc etc
But it’s not the same as a Texas Scramble - it’s a recognised format within Congu rules using Congu Handicaps so Congu Handicap allocation must be used - it’s not a guidance it’s a rule that must be followed. They can’t play the rules they want if they are a Congu affiliated club - it’s fabric of the game to follow the rules of gold and the rules of Congu.

When you come on asking for a ruling on a matchplay event then it’s hard to give that when the event is not being run according to the rules.

Affiliated clubs do not have the authority to create their own HC rules - if they want to do that then they need to remove themselves from Congu and follow their own Handicap System. If they don’t then all HC events being played using a recognised format “must” follow the HC rules set out in Congu.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I still fail to see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over an internal club fixture
just accept that this one is an odd one, Congu rules dont apply, original rules have been lost, so what rules would you need to have to make it work.

as you've said, max handicap 28 (or whatever they decide)

D

Deleted member 15344

I still fail to see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over an internal club fixture
just accept that this one is an odd one, Congu rules dont apply, original rules have been lost, so what rules would you need to have to make it work.

as you've said, max handicap 28 (or whatever they decide)
Sorry but it’s singles matchplay and 4BBB matchplay - both formats are covered in Congu and those rules must be applied - following the rules as detailed are the fabric of the game - doesn’t matter if it’s internal or not or if it’s longstanding , all competitions must be updated with any rule change when it’s released.

Congu rules do apply and they must be followed - simple as that , you cannot pick and chose what rules to follow

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry but it’s singles matchplay and 4BBB matchplay - both formats are covered in Congu and those rules must be applied - following the rules as detailed are the fabric of the game - doesn’t matter if it’s internal or not or if it’s longstanding , all competitions must be updated with any rule change when it’s released.

Congu rules do apply and they must be followed - simple as that , you cannot pick and chose what rules to follow
Try reading post #29 again and help rather than hiding behind your keyboard.