Tied After 18

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Because your club has knowingly signed up to membership of CONGU and to abide by the CONGU regulations.

Ever done 31 in a 30 or 71 on a motorway.
Blindly following the rules is different to understanding why they are in place and their purpose.

D

Deleted member 15344

Has this ever happened ,cant believe a club would let it go that far ? And if so how do they get it back ?

I know there are a few that don’t affiliate to Congu and just run their own HC system

I suspect there are going to be plenty of clubs that will ignore the Congu rules which makes it unfair on a lot of golfers especially KO’s and 4BBB - but it takes the members to ensure their HC committee are following the rules properly

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know there are a few that don’t affiliate to Congu and just run their own HC system

I suspect there are going to be plenty of clubs that will ignore the Congu rules which makes it unfair on a lot of golfers especially KO’s and 4BBB - but it takes the members to ensure their HC committee are following the rules properly

Yup there is on in Shropshire that's not affiliated but do you know of any that have lost their affiliation ? I can't think of any .
Very difficult for members to know what Committees are up to at times :(

D

Deleted member 16999

As long as you (the club) are willing to face the possible consequences you can break every rule in the book.

Having signed up to the rules though, you are expected to abide by them.
Mate, I know what you’re saying, but no one asked me if the Club were aware they are not playing by the rules or if the issue has been raised, straight away the thread was derailed.
Even you above have not answered my original post and questions to you, knowledge is power and rather than me going to the club and simply saying, “because that’s the rules” it would be nice to hear if anyone knows why CONGU come across that way, I could possibly get one step ahead of the club and have answers ready.
Threats about CONGU and losing affiliation will be laughed at. We have over 30 qualifiers and 40 non-qualifiers that all comply with their direction and rules.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mate, I know what you’re saying, but no one asked me if the Club were aware they are not playing by the rules or if the issue has been raised, straight away the thread was derailed.
Even you above have not answered my original post and questions to you, knowledge is power and rather than me going to the club and simply saying, “because that’s the rules” it would be nice to hear if anyone knows why CONGU come across that way, I could possibly get one step ahead of the club and have answers ready.
Threats about CONGU and losing affiliation will be laughed at. We have over 30 qualifiers and 40 non-qualifiers that all comply with their direction and rules.

I can see why you are feeling a little defensive, but I don't think anyone here can have anything constructive to offer.

The club is running these competitions to it's rules, for its reasons. Any speculation as to what the rules for continuation might be would be exactly that - speculation. As such it doesn't contribute anything constructive.

If the competition was being played to normal rules, and in this the pairs one just about fits, then strokes would be allocated at the same holes the second time round, and the extra holes should commence at the starting point of the match ie If the match started at the 1st, and player D had a stroke on that hole the first time, it should continue from there and he gets another stroke etc

But they may well have a different view...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They can't just pick and choose which CONGU regulations they follow.

6 RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE AFFILIATED CLUB
The Affiliated Club must
6.2 Ensure that the spirit and intent of the UHS is properly applied in the club. Failure by a club to comply with this requirement may lead to a Union withdrawing the club’s right to act as a Handicapping Authority or imposing such conditions as the Union considers appropriate. (

D

Deleted member 16999

Thanks for ALL the replies, best section on the Forum, like others have said, not all Clubs do everything correctly and changes come slowly if at all at some.
Some battles are lost, but, I’ve personally found some are easier to win if you have all the information and background knowledge, just saying “because” doesn’t go down well at times.
Apologies for the thread being sidetracked :thup:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No not at all... they are to be spread evenly over all 18 holes otherwise you could have the top 6 or so SI holes in the back 9 with the match being over before a player ever got the benefit of them. However relating SI directly to difficulty is a very common error.

As I have often said this is a recommendation only.

The full recommendation is that clubs should have two cards with two different SIs one for match play and one for stableford but try getting that through a committee. We tried but too many players used the wrong card.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why? Every qualfier in our Club is run in accordance CONGU rules, why does it need to change 2 comps in a club that affects absolutely no one else in the County or Country or World.
We’re not making things up, both of these comps were probably in place before CONGU, why shouldn’t clubs be able to play a competition at their club to their rules if it impacts no one else, were’s the harm or justification to threaten clubs?

I agree. If these are one off (or two off in this case) competitions and form part of the history of the club then what harm is it doing? Members have the choice to enter or not.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Basically their guidance

"Without substantially deviating from the above principles, allocating low-numbered strokes to holes near the end of each nine should be avoided so that players receiving strokes will have the opportunity to use these strokes before either nine or 18-hole matches are decided. Lower-numbered strokes should not be allocated to the first and second holes of a course in the event that a hole-by-hole playoff is necessary."

Is fundamentally the same as CONGU currently in its practical elements.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Basically their guidance

"Without substantially deviating from the above principles, allocating low-numbered strokes to holes near the end of each nine should be avoided so that players receiving strokes will have the opportunity to use these strokes before either nine or 18-hole matches are decided. Lower-numbered strokes should not be allocated to the first and second holes of a course in the event that a hole-by-hole playoff is necessary."

Is fundamentally the same as CONGU currently in its practical elements.
I believe that Golf Australia follow those principles for matchplay but they have a standard allocation for all courses.
They have a different difficulty based card for stableford.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe that Golf Australia follow those principles for matchplay but they have a standard allocation for all courses.
They have a different difficulty based card for stableford.

That's my understanding to - standard SI distribution for match play use across all courses. Which makes huge sense. Still don't believe theres any right or wrong as to whether a single stroke should be given at the hardest or easiest hole - so that side of it really doesn't matter.

I do understand that receiving strokes at the hardest holes makes the game much more enjoyable when playing stableford. Two sets of SI are the best solution (although we went away from it nominally because it confused people, but I suspect the impact on our 9 hole swindle series was the bigger reason - 9 handicapper would get 1 stroke on the front 9 and 8 on the back based on difficulty 🤔).

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well, I stand corrected. But my point was the holes on which strokes are allocated does not change just because of a playoff vs stip round. Right?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have main 2 matchplay comps, 1 singles and 1 4BBB, both have been played for over 80yrs and currently the rules are as follows.
Singles is 50% of the difference in Handicap and shots are given at start of match, ie, Player A off 6, Player B off 12, Player B starts match 3up and match is off scratch.
4BBB is 75% difference off lowest handicap, shots given on SI.
If tied after 18 holes singles continue playing off scratch.
But there is confusion over 4BBB if tied, some matches have played extra holes with no shots given, some have played extra holes with shots given in same same way as start of match.
Original rules have been lost, any thoughts?
I'm really confused by this...

So if Player A is off 2 and Player B is off 28, the difference is 26 and 50% of that is 13, so player B is 13 up with 18 to play? That's hilarious.