Tickling a leaf in the backswing

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it just me, or does this happen to other people too?

I'm about to take a shot near a tree. I check my backswing and discover that I'm going to very lightly brush a leaf or two, but it won't make any physical difference to the behaviour of the club.

I then take my shot, and despite the fact that I know I will hit a leaf, and I know it won't affect anything, as soon as I hear the club hit the leaf it puts me off and I duff the shot.

Is there any kind of mental training possible to overcome this seemingly ridiculous outcome?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it just me, or does this happen to other people too?

I'm about to take a shot near a tree. I check my backswing and discover that I'm going to very lightly brush a leaf or two, but it won't make any physical difference to the behaviour of the club.

I then take my shot, and despite the fact that I know I will hit a leaf, and I know it won't affect anything, as soon as I hear the club hit the leaf it puts me off and I duff the shot.

Is there any kind of mental training possible to overcome this seemingly ridiculous outcome?
are you sure your practice swing is the same as your actual swing.
In my experience most golfers have very nice practice swings but totally different actual swings.

so you expect a tickle but get a bit of a shock when hitting something harder!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your problem starts as soon as you start thinking about your backswing....in this case the proximity of the tree is simply the cause.

The mental training involved is relatively simple - practice. Find a tree, practice playing full shots with various angles and restrictions.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Your problem starts as soon as you start thinking about your backswing....in this case the proximity of the tree is simply the cause.

The mental training involved is relatively simple - practice. Find a tree, practice playing full shots with various angles and restrictions.
Not sure I undersand the point you're making.

Are you saying that I shouldn't bother checking if my backswing is going to hit a leaf? If that's the case, then presumably you are advising that sufficient practice might teach me how to avoid being disturbed if I hit a leaf in the backswing.

On the other hand, perhaps you're suggesting that I should practice making varying types of swing near trees such that I can always find a way to play the ball without hitting a leaf in the backswing.

Or perhaps there is some other interpretation of your response that I've missed - in which case can you clarify?