Thoughts on Surrey club to join

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all!

I know there have been a few threads on this subject in the past but was wondering if anyone here are members at any of these or have played them and can give me their insights it would be appreciated :thup:

So I've moved down from Norfolk to Surrey (Walton on Thames) and trying to work out which club to join, I've tried a few,

1 Hersham - closest, not that impressed with greens and overall maintenance so not keen on it

2 Silvermere - too busy, nice last two holes though

3 The Drift - they offered me a free round, got a meet and greet, good deal on with no entry fees. Quite liked the course and the vibe however I'm concerned about the clay and not being able to play throughout the winter

Other possibles I've narrowed down but yet to play are

West Byfleet
Pyrford
Chobham (Got concerns about how wet it gets and the number of par 3s)
Tyrrells Wood (got a meeting arranged this week - I like the look of this one and it looks like it drains well)

I think the other courses in the area are probably a little over my budget

I'm happy with a half an hour commute so Tyrrells just about makes it (I'm Walton on Thames) and that's my preference right now but it may change after I see it

Thanks very much

Hersham I'd definitely avoid.

I personally like Silvermere as a golf course but couldn't be a member there just because it gets too busy.

The Drift I really enjoy in the summer but played it once in the winter and it was very wet.

Haven't played Pyrford myself but most I know who have played it like the course.

Chobham I'm not a big fan of myself and have also played in the winter and it was very wet.

Haven't played Tyrell's Wood and don't know many that have so can't comment.

I am actually a member at West Byfleet so my view is slightly biased but I love being a member here. Course is good and drains very well in the winter so rarely closed and never any temporary greens. Not sure on joining fees at the moment but I know annual subs are slightly cheaper for under 35s. If you wanted a look round feel free to give me a shout.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm just down the road from you, Hersham.

My comments would be as follows:

Twisted Stone (West Byfleet) - don't bother, course seems to get worse and worse plus in the winter the low parts of the course are underwater so you end up with an 11 hole course for 7-8 months of the year.

Just to save confusion Twisted Stone and West Byfleet are 2 completely different golf clubs. In fact Twisted Stone is in Pyrford, agree with your comments about Twisted Stone though, which is a shame as it was one of the first golf courses I learned to play on when I took up golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ah ok so again only 30 ish minutes providing the A3 is running smoothly - fall into the over 30 category and the annual fee and joining fee are about max what I'm thinking

From a quick look at the website it looks a lovely course, there are just so many in the area I was limiting myself to not get too bogged down by all the choices :confused:

Let me know (PM me) if you fancy a knock, and we'll sort something out.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Is Hampton Court an option? I’ve never played it, but noticed it when having a picnic in the Palace grounds and it looked very nice. Great views too, I imagine.

oh, I can help with this one.

membership fees c£1500

joining fee £100 but every month there are deals, waterproof, gps watch etc, that usually means you get something of at least the same value

practice facilities are very good, 300 yard grass range, chipping green, putting green and short game area with 2 practice bunkers and an area to hit wedges into.

Only downside is the range isn't covered so no good if raining, but if the weather is good then it's great.

It is very dry, only seen standing water once, it drains very well and playable pretty much all year around, greens rarely on temps, just a couple of hole during the winter. Tees never on seen on temps.

Scenery wise, it is lovely. Just outside Kingston yet you wouldn't know, being in the middle of Home Park is very quiet. The deer are very tame and a great addition to the scenery.

The 5th hole plays up towards the palace with the green a few 100m away, there won't be too many holes in the country with a grander feel to it.

The layout is good, no 2 holes are the same, which is impressive given the ground is pretty flat.

The course itself is an inland links so very different to anything else in the area, the club have done a lot of work on the greens, they are now lovely.

Despite having a name that sounds like it will be very posh, the club and it's members are very down to earth. Swindles on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, with comps on Saturdays, they are very keen for new member to get involved.

The negatives are the bunkers aren't great, they have a problem with stones. It can get busy, it's not always chocked but it can get busy.

Not necessarily a negative but as road2ruin says the greenkeepers are not allowed to cut the rough (SSSI and a Grade 1 Historical Site) so the course moves from very open in the Autumn and Winter to very tight in the Spring and Summer. Makes it interesting I guess but can also be infuriating when your ball trickles in never to be seen again

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
That sounds worth a go :cool:

I can also vouch for the quality of Hoebridge. The greens are the best I’ve played on recently. I know one member there who’s a really decent bloke, and I ended up playing with their secretary recently in a qualifying comp. He was also a nice guy.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played most of these and my conclusions based on your stated aims would be between West Byfleet and Tyrells Wood.

The weakness of the latter is in the 1st/10th holes - but no course is perfect!

Overall both courses have excellent access for members, have sufficiently challenging greens that your short game and putting will develop (some of those mentioned definitely aren't) and bith are fundamentally golf clubs.

The Drift has a really good bunch of guys in their Senior section & challenging course but suffers terribly from the weather (i can put up with wet clay but the greens have so much organic matter they become spongy soft - played once and the ball was plugging into the green, completely plugged!). Heavily played course as well, which can have access issues.

Arrange to visit the two clubs around midday on a Sat to get the feel for the membership in the bar area - this will give you what you need on top of playing the courses. Weekend afternoons are usually a good time to play an introductory round as well. You get a good feel for course usage.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I really like Tyrrells Wood. If you are going down the A3 then Hindhead is an option, and better in my opinion than any of the op’s original options. You could even go a few miles further and look at Liphook. Definitely better than any courses mentioned.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My brother lives in Hersham village,and is a member at the Drift. Have played it many times,not a bad course, but as others have said, can get a bit wet in winter, although not always.

Silvermere facilities great, last time we played there we walked off after 9 having taken 3 hours to that point, would avoid the course.

Burhill has two nice tracks, have played them both and prefer the Old course, but I think it has a hefty joining fee.

Hodge

Hacker
Visit site
I really like Tyrrells Wood. If you are going down the A3 then Hindhead is an option, and better in my opinion than any of the op’s original options. You could even go a few miles further and look at Liphook. Definitely better than any courses mentioned.

Briefly looking at Liphook I am 32 miles away (around 45 mins drive) and just miss out on the 35 miles range for Country discount (if that applies to my age in any case). Same goes for Hindhead - too expensive I think @ £4k ish all in first year and Liphook £4.5k at full rates

Thanks anyway, damn I need a pay rise...

Hodge

Hacker
Visit site
My brother lives in Hersham village,and is a member at the Drift. Have played it many times,not a bad course, but as others have said, can get a bit wet in winter, although not always.

Silvermere facilities great, last time we played there we walked off after 9 having taken 3 hours to that point, would avoid the course.

Burhill has two nice tracks, have played them both and prefer the Old course, but I think it has a hefty joining fee.

Agree on Silvermere, range is pricey but the shop is brilliant for choice

I was originally thinking I'd be in the area for 5 years or so before moving back to Norfolk so don't want to spend too much on joining, plus it would be coming out of my house deposit and my girlfriend would not be too impressed :D

Hodge

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input

Narrowing it down to these I want to check out

West Byfleet
Tyrrells Wood
Effingham
Farnham Sands
Puttenham

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Briefly looking at Liphook I am 32 miles away (around 45 mins drive) and just miss out on the 35 miles range for Country discount (if that applies to my age in any case). Same goes for Hindhead - too expensive I think @ £4k ish all in first year and Liphook £4.5k at full rates

Thanks anyway, damn I need a pay rise...

if looking down the A3 you also have Guildford, Milford and Hurtmore, all nice courses but can't offer anything on Members or Membership.

or back the other way, Wimbledon Common/London Scottish or Wimbledon Park.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Puttenham looks nice too, how was it for you?

I was HGK there for 5 years in the mid/late 1970's. It was in brilliant condition then.:lol:
Good year round course.
One of my old apprentices is now HGK keeps it in very good nick.

It was a very friendly club when I was there, still is I hear.

Hodge

Hacker
Visit site
That's good to hear Doon

I definitely want a year round course, my home club is Gorleston, links on the cliff and rare that there isn't any wind so I'm used to the elements

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
if looking down the A3 you also have Guildford, Milford and Hurtmore, all nice courses but can't offer anything on Members or Membership.

or back the other way, Wimbledon Common/London Scottish or Wimbledon Park.

Wimbledon Park is not my favourite and they lose chunks of the course during Wimbledon fortnight. I'm a big fan of Wimbledon Common. It's where I started and it's still a challenge. Short but with small greens which are in good nick all year. It's a friendly club and if I was back in the vicinity I'd rejoin in an instant

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
oh, I can help with this one.

membership fees c£1500

joining fee £100 but every month there are deals, waterproof, gps watch etc, that usually means you get something of at least the same value

practice facilities are very good, 300 yard grass range, chipping green, putting green and short game area with 2 practice bunkers and an area to hit wedges into.

Only downside is the range isn't covered so no good if raining, but if the weather is good then it's great.
is that a members only range, or is that open to anyone?
And what are the teaching pros like?

Despite having a name that sounds like it will be very posh, the club and it's members are very down to earth. Swindles on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, with comps on Saturdays, they are very keen for new member to get involved.

The negatives are the bunkers aren't great, they have a problem with stones. It can get busy, it's not always chocked but it can get busy
Does busy mean you can’t get a tee time, or do you get really slow rounds?

Moving to Hampton and currently play Dukes Medows only, but I am thinking to take the plunge into club life, and longer hikes than 160 on a far pin.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
is that a members only range, or is that open to anyone?
And what are the teaching pros like?

Does busy mean you can’t get a tee time, or do you get really slow rounds?

Moving to Hampton and currently play Dukes Medows only, but I am thinking to take the plunge into club life, and longer hikes than 160 on a far pin.

Anyone is free to use it the range however, it's a well hidden golf course, you wouldn't know there was a range there. It's rarely busy, I have never not managed to get a space to hit from.

The pros are good, all quite young. Haven't had many lessons with them, but what I have had they were good.

It can be slow, but I will emphasise can be. Always managed to get a tee time, and usually I just roll up and ask if it's free. Most I've had to wait was just over and hour, most of the time it's straight on or maybe a 15 minute wait.

When I say slow, if you get stuck behind a society as a 3 ball you'd be looking at 4.5 hours max which is pretty long, but not the 5+ hours you can get at some courses. But most of the time it's a 3 hour round.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Hi all!

I know there have been a few threads on this subject in the past but was wondering if anyone here are members at any of these or have played them and can give me their insights it would be appreciated :thup:

So I've moved down from Norfolk to Surrey (Walton on Thames) and trying to work out which club to join, I've tried a few,

1 Hersham - closest, not that impressed with greens and overall maintenance so not keen on it

2 Silvermere - too busy, nice last two holes though

3 The Drift - they offered me a free round, got a meet and greet, good deal on with no entry fees. Quite liked the course and the vibe however I'm concerned about the clay and not being able to play throughout the winter

Other possibles I've narrowed down but yet to play are

West Byfleet
Pyrford
Chobham (Got concerns about how wet it gets and the number of par 3s)
Tyrrells Wood (got a meeting arranged this week - I like the look of this one and it looks like it drains well)

I think the other courses in the area are probably a little over my budget

I'm happy with a half an hour commute so Tyrrells just about makes it (I'm Walton on Thames) and that's my preference right now but it may change after I see it

Thanks very much

I was in your position about 18 months ago, although I live closer to Woking to the Tyrells Wood side of the county was ruled out for me so can't comment on that course at all.

Hersham - don't bother. About 6 holes in a field each 300 yards straight up and down with internal oob everywhere. Very very short too.

Silvermere - too busy. Also very average from 8-16. Great shop and range though.

The Drift - I really liked it but only played it in summer. Have heard about how wet it gets in winter although can't personally comment.

Pyrford - nice course off the whites. Get other crown courses thrown in, although in reality Pyrford is easily in the top 2/3 and most are poor. Was very close to joining here. My personal preference was a private members club rather than a for profit club. I know of a another Crown course where members are leaving in droves due to lack of investment and poor conditioning.

Chobham - nice enough. Does get very wet. Average membership age is extremely high.

West Byfleet - the club I joined. Good all year round course, the proximity to WB train station with its fast links to London mean there's quite a few around our age that travel down so good age mix. All year comps. Large Saturday roll up. Serious investment going on every winter to improve what was already a very good track. I think you're looking at a joining fee of roughly £1200 plus subs of £1500ish at 33.

Others that have been mentioned I think are too far away in Surrey traffic that you'd get very annoyed.

Puttenham - nice track, v good greens. Few too many quirky holes and too tight for me. Awful 18th. Very very old membership.

Farnham - lovely, too far away for me (and I'm 20 mins closer than you)

Guildford - really like it but my word you know you've played 18! Very hilly, not sure I could play it every week.

Effingham - never played.

The others down the A3 mentioned are great courses but you're talking 1 hour plus to get down on the A3 if the traffic is only slightly bad.

I'd enquire at Burhill if I were you too. I think the joining fee is quite steep but the subs aren't too bad after that. I might be completely wrong though.

Hodge

Hacker
Visit site
I'd enquire at Burhill if I were you too. I think the joining fee is quite steep but the subs aren't too bad after that. I might be completely wrong though.

Was on the phone to them yesterday - For me £1500 entry and £3000 per year, 1400 members although 2 courses plus they have very good facilities (so I was told)

I'm not entirely sure how long I'll be based here (thinking around 5 years or so, maybe less) but in any case that's just a little too steep for me right now - shame as that one is very close to me