Thoughts on attire

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I have read several books and publications on golf and great emphasis is often made on golfing attire.

I have always maintained that dress does play a part of the game and obeyed the rules when on the course.
To many non golfers. Golf attire consists of dressing in the loudest and most clashing ensembles possible! (I think we've seen the type at all the courses we play.

I do believe though that maintaining a smart appearance on the course is all part of the game.
I don't spend a fortune on my golfing wardrobe. I have named polo shirts, waterproofs and headwear, but items such as sweaters and trousers are plain numbers bought from a regular high street store.
The result is a smart appearance acceptable both on the course and even in the street after a round.

My feeling at the moment is that my game is not good enough to venture into vivid colours yet! :D Saying that, I don't think HID would allow me out of the house wearing anything brighter than black or navy blue!

It just feels right, dressing in smart clothing to play. I played a small muni last year in (horror of horrors) JEANS!!! But there were no rules concerning dress code on this course.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
IM with you on the smart attire think it adds a bit of class to the game,however at my club which is council run it seems anything goes which lowers the standards in my mind its a disgrace.

T

thecraw

I always have a decision to make before golf.

Today is it the red trousers, the yellow trousers, the electric blue trousers, white trousers, black trousers or a little somber pair of beige chinos!

Go on be daring.

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I always have a decision to make before golf.

Today is it the red trousers, the yellow trousers, the electric blue trousers, white trousers, black trousers or a little somber pair of beige chinos!

Go on be daring.
Thats the way to do it, don't do anything by half. Love it.
For me it's usually Red and Black or Black and Red but I sometimes unearth the Red, Black and White tartan trousers just to push the boat out.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
IM with you on the smart attire think it adds a bit of class to the game,however at my club which is council run it seems anything goes which lowers the standards in my mind its a disgrace.

Try playing at Temple Newsam in Leeds!

I played there often last year (it was cheap, a pretty good challenge and pretty much next door to my old house) but the states i've seen some people around there playing is borderline ridiculous.

I've seen people in 3/4 length combats and a shirt suited to town on a friday night, tracksuit bottoms and football tops, football shorts and vest tops....you name it!

Its just not right, if you're going to play the game, at least look the part! :(

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Here here,

Like the sound of these Bay City Rollers tartan check numbers, time for me to expand the collection me thinks!

Suits you Sir! Suits you!!!
They are very Bay city rollers actually, even have a little flare at the bottoms. Better than that Poulter crap.

T

thecraw

Here here,

Like the sound of these Bay City Rollers tartan check numbers, time for me to expand the collection me thinks!

Suits you Sir! Suits you!!!

B

birdieman

Not too loud either but always try to be smartishly dressed - just ordered a pair of trousers from Subseventy which is about as trendy as I'm ever likely to get.
Black, white, browns, khaki, and greens mainly for me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Um, I normally dress like a twit. No colour is ignored. If you can't play well, you might as well dress like a clown. I have fushia trousers, orange ones, yellow and green diamonds, I have yellow shoes, purple shoes, red white and blue shoes. Nothing is considered too garish.

All I hope is that I don't have to get out of the car on the way there.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site

I played there often last year (it was cheap, a pretty good challenge and pretty much next door to my old house) but the states i've seen some people around there playing is borderline ridiculous.

I've seen people in 3/4 length combats and a shirt suited to town on a friday night, tracksuit bottoms and football tops, football shorts and vest tops....you name it!

Its just not right, if you're going to play the game, at least look the part! :(
I live about 5 mins from Tempsy and you are right that's what made me go to join a private club, full of Charvers (leeds speak for chavs) drinking cans of lager smoking wacky stuff and tearing up the course. It does have a large number of decent members but they are fighting a loosing battle.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now then ,trousers by Stromberg , black and red, navy and sky blue, rupert the bear checks (nice) ,shirts and jerseys by J lindeberg nearly every colour in the range, shoes Adidas 360 LTD and awaiting with bated breath the new J Lindeberg 2010 shoes.You know you've got to keep yourself nice. :D

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com

I live about 5 mins from Tempsy and you are right that's what made me go to join a private club, full of Charvers (leeds speak for chavs) drinking cans of lager smoking wacky stuff and tearing up the course. It does have a large number of decent members but they are fighting a loosing battle.

The amount of aggro I got there from gangs of scumbags on late evenings there last summer was ridiculous. Me & my son were playing and were coming down the 17th on the bottom course, both had tee'd off, when a gang of mongs from Halton Moor stomps across the fairway and nicks our balls.

We got down to where they were, dropped our new balls down and proceeded to play, only for these imbeccile's to start chucking stones at us so we picked up and walked off.

I joined a private club 2 days after that and havent played there since :(

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd like to get back to the plus fours and tweed jacket, But i'd alway's thought that there would be a great comp in playing a stableford with old attire and old clubs on modern courses.