this Saturday or next Saturday ??

super hans

Assistant Pro
Visit site
let me set the scene - I've invited a newbie at our club to start playing with us as he's just joined, doesn't know anyone else, and we have a mutual friend (outwith the club).

I've got him up to speed with our online booking system (a saturday medal goes live online the Thursday of the previous week - 9 days earlier).

So yesterday, (Thursday 21st) I texted him " I'm going to book a tee-time for next Saturdays medal around 8am - do you want me to add you?

He replies 'Saturday 23rd or 30th?'

I reply 'Next saturday, the 30th'

He replies ' next saturday is the 23rd!'

At this point i think he's at the wind-up, but I answer back saying 'well i meant the 30th'

he replies ' well to me the NEXT saturday is the 23rd lol '

I didnt want to labour the point and at this stage i was getting a bit annoyed with the pointless back & forth (plus i dont know him that well). I think what i said made sense although I accept his point is technically correct

So what I want to know is, was my choice of phrase the norm to everyone. Surely if I meant the 23rd, i would have said ' im going to book a tee-time for Saturday.....on Saturday....this Saturday.

Thoughts ??

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd want clarification as it's one of those areas where different people have a different take on it.

You can say that this Saturday is the 23rd and the next Saturday is the 30th, but when is the next opportunity?

super hans

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd want clarification as it's one of those areas where different people have a different take on it.

You can say that this Saturday is the 23rd and the next Saturday is the 30th, but when is the next opportunity?

OK Crow - do you fancy a round at Augusta "next Saturday" - I've got a 10.02 tee-time and its absolutely free, Rory & Jordan are making up the fourball - all you need to do is turn up on the right date............will I see you there?

when would you turn up?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK Crow - do you fancy a round at Augusta "next Saturday" - I've got a 10.02 tee-time and its absolutely free, Rory & Jordan are making up the fourball - all you need to do is turn up on the right date............will I see you there?

when would you turn up?

Don't bother with him......I'll play :D

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't understand why people are confused; "this" Saturday" is the next actual Saturday, whereas "next" Saturday is the next Saturday after that (this) Saturday, so that that Saturday is the next Saturday rather than this Saturday even though "this" Saturday is actually the next Saturday but it isn't "next" Saturday.

Simples as they say. :D

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I said 'sit next to me' how many places away would you sit?
If I said 'I'm going next door' how many houses away would I go?
If I said 'The next bus along is the number 23' would 23 be two buses away?
If I said on a Wednesday 'lets play golf next Tuesday' what Tuesday would we play golf?

Just saying!

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

when would you turn up?

Sorry I can't make it, I've got a date with RiRi...

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I would say "a week on Saturday". If you said "next Saturday" on Thursday or particularly earlier in the week then it is increasingly ambiguous. Not saying it's wrong but to avoid confusion, if you'd said that to me I'd have queried it because as this thread will show folk have different views on stuff like this. Had a similar issue when moving an event "back" a week in our calendar a couple of years ago. Person I was talking to thought that meant it would now be a week earlier. Always best to use dates!!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Confusion happens becasue you meant 'next week's Saturday' i.e the Saturday from next week and not 'the next Saturday'

But these days so many drop the word weeks from the instruction and assume its always implied because to them everyday this week would have a this prefix instead of a next

Only avoids confusion when both are using the same model (its geographical as well)

Technically the op's message is the wrong one by not inferring the week but its habitual with many of us