Thinking of changing my putter

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can only agree with this. It was a while back, but I went for a £35 putting fitting/lesson and it was the best money I ever spent.

I found a Yes! golf trained fitter (it's probably just a course for a qualified PGA pro), but I guess a good Pro you trust and is "into" putters and putting will offer advice to you.

We talked, he watched me putt, I learned some *incredible* stuff that day. On top of the £35, I paid £8.99 for a new grip to go on a putter that came out of the shop 1 inch shorter and more upright. :)

Never looked back. I go all gooey and shiny-obsessed when I look at new putters, but have not been tempted (other than a short and costly foray back into blade territory!)

I find it depressing to see so many of my club pals, team members, scratch team players, pairs partners etc. all changing their putter from one season to the next. The only way to avoid it, i.m.o. is to take the plunge and get done by the putting doc.

:)

Totally agree.

I got fitted for my Scotty end of Feb/Early March and since then haven't even looked at another putter.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Bought an Odyssey White Hot 2 ball a couple of years ago. Couldn't seem to get on with it so went back to my TM c/shafted mallet. Happy with that until my putting went Pete Tong.

Reluctantly brought the 2 ball out of retirement in desperation. Received a few tips from a scratch player at my club and haven't looked back. Putting much improved now which goes to show it has burger all to do with the putter, it's the player. Sticking with the 2 ball for now as it's doing the biz for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just bought an odyssey proforce #9. Milled face. I prefer a putter without an insert but love the #9 syle so this is a beautiful compromise for me. I've still got the white ice for fast greens as the face is softer which I don't like but will put up with if necessary as I did at Blackmoor

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
With the debate into belly putters and the ruling yet to be made as to whether they should be banned I've recently been looking at a few conventional putters over the last few months, just in case.

A few weeks ago I picked up the Odyssey No7, everything from balance to weight and stroke felt perfect. Unlike some putters there was no inward weight shift pushing the heel down and towards you, it just felt perfect however I couldn't justify the £100 price tag.

I was tempted to ask if I could try it out but you know how that usually goes once you take it out onto the course.

Spookily a week later I got an email from CG Discount golf with the putter on special at £59.99 including delivery. A quick X-mas present chat with my wife secured the order.

I've now used the putter for four or five rounds ;) and I have to say it's the best piece of golf equipment I've bought in a long time. The balance, feel and alignment are superb and it is easy to understand why it is one of the most widely used putters on tour.

It is true that the player does have a lot to do with it however having the right putter to do the job also plays a big part especially when it comes to confidence.

The bad news is that CG golf no longer have the putter on special, however if you are looking at a No 7, based on my own personnal experience, I would thoroughly recommend one.