Thinking of calling it quits

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's just the nature of the game. You are obviously a good player, I could have 2 lifetimes and never get to single figures. Maybe take a break, we can be guilty of playing too much. Wish you could talk to my pro, he is very helpful with the mental side as well as the technique, where I am sure he would very quickly get to the root cause of your problem. I don't agree with the previous comment about "most pros are crap teachers", that's a strange post to put on a golf forum IMHO. Agree with another post that when it happens to a tournament pro then it's their living that's under threat. Wish you well, you will probably be completely back to your old self by this time next week.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I don't agree with the previous comment about "most pros are crap teachers".

Sorry, probably a bit strong. What I should say is that there are many pros who can teach a textbook swing, or the​​​​ ​swing that they use but not many at all who can take the swing of a player with physical limitations and suggest changes to make it work better. I just wondered what kind of advice the OP had had.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry, probably a bit strong. What I should say is that there are many pros who can teach a textbook swing, or the​​​​ ​swing that they use but not many at all who can take the swing of a player with physical limitations and suggest changes to make it work better. I just wondered what kind of advice the OP had had.

All depends on what "pros" you are talking about

Fully qualified PGA pros or the amateur who has decided that he wants be pro and enters Pro Comps.

The first will be able to teach the second not that often

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
All depends on what "pros" you are talking about

Fully qualified PGA pros or the amateur who has decided that he wants be pro and enters Pro Comps.

The first will be able to teach the second not that often

That's no guarantee either! In the same way that qualifications to teach anything doesn't guarantee being a good teacher!

Bobmysterkaymer

Head Pro
Visit site
I went through a similar thing 5 months ago. Didn't play at all durning the winter, just trying to get my head around everything again but I'm not taking things to seriously and just getting back to basics and keeping light hearted about any mistakes. You'll find the love again if you maybe just take it not so seriously.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have had lessons with pros where I've walked off totally bamboozled. I never went back. I am lucky that my pro doesn't want to teach me a perfect swing but reduce the faults that are leading to compensations. There will always be foibles but if I can be more consistent then I'll take that over textbook any day

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I went through a similar thing 5 months ago. Didn't play at all durning the winter, just trying to get my head around everything again but I'm not taking things to seriously and just getting back to basics and keeping light hearted about any mistakes. You'll find the love again if you maybe just take it not so seriously.

Spot on. I don't think there's one golfer who hasn't thought at some point about giving up the game,but it's what keeps us coming back for more...went through the same last year.id play on the Saturday go and practice in the week and I couldn't hit a barn door..simple answer I stopped practicing hitting ball after ball at the range and just played..hcp is coming down so I'm doing something right.my advice is stick with it,your swing will come back just as quick as it went.get out there with your mates and enjoy it, it'll come,

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Part of me thinks going through a slump and coming out the other side is a sort of right of passage for a golfer. But then again every situation is different.
You may have already tried, but maybe some solo games, two balls no pressure on yourself. Or some match play games with a mate, bit of banter.
If the 'give it a break' still has you back at the range, maybe pick something else to learn - to focus that energy - weather is better so maybe a water sport or something. When not very good at something new but improving quickly it can be fun. Golf may still lure you back in when the time is right, but with a different mindset.
Just my ramblings. Good luck.

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
During April I think I was 3 games from having a Sergio style break!

knackered my shoulder up just before playing Burnham in Feb and it is still bad now but chiropractor has giving me all clear to keep playing as the movement is good.

Since feb my scores gave been between 5 & 15 over which I appreciate is not that bad, but I was playing shocking and really not enjoying it. Fatting, thinning, shanking then chipping and putting for par or bogey.

It's a hobby at the end of the day and should be enjoyed.

At the start of my 3 rounds of the that's it phase I shot 1 under at a work comp (woodlands signature- short course off yellows), won my handicap club matchplay first round 1 up shooting handicap and then my first round of scratch matchplay 6&5 where I was 1 under off blues (6900 yards) after 13 holes in hurricane like conditions (17 putts through 13). In all those games I was just having fun and not thinking about what was wrong etc.........will be carrying that attitude going forward!