Thinking about moving clubs

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
LordT

Meant to ask
Did you check out the driving range or par3 course, prior to playing today?

Both good facilities, and part of the package with membership.

Last edited:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well seeing as this thread has come to the fore.

Through my own lack of restraint and self policing of replies before posting, the posts I made about Close House, attracted the ire of Close House, so much so that they terminated my membership. The comments aside, I think more then anything what did for me was the line, that I would not be renewing my membership come October, so I'm guessing they chose bin me a few months earlier.

I'm more disappointed in myself for being so foolish to post what I did when I should've known better, then I'm am for losing my membership, but we live and learn.

My mam always told me, "if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all", I should've took heed of that advice.

Never mind, some personal circumstances overtook common sense. Time to move on and start the next chapter where ever that may be.

Oh aye, careful what you post on here, it in the public domain and open for all to see and you never know who's reading and take a dislike to what your have written, I can safely write from experience now.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve been to close house, stayed in their accommodation. It was really nice. I won’t be staying there again based on the above.
It’s not a set up I’d ever join anyway as I get the impression that the needs of the member will always come second to a corporate quid, but this is poor.
Rightly or wrongly you’ve aired a grievance publically, they should look to address those issues rather than bin you. It makes them look a bit pathetic IMO.
They’ll probably be onto mike now to get this pulled, but they need to remember not all feedback is positive

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow, banned from the club for telling the truth lol.
If it’s any consolation mate, I was told the same thing by another former member, it’s all set up for corporate days and members come way down the list of priorities, a second or even third class membership if you will.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave
Don’t sweat it mate
You told the truth, got it off your chest
I’d lose no sleep
Nothing you’ve said hasn’t been said by many others already

It just brought forward the decision you’d already made for yourself

The next move is the big one
You need to get right
Do loads of research and road testing

As I’ve said to you before, you’re welcome anytime at my place for a game and a tour of all it has to offer

I’d guess you’d get plenty offers of games off many others on here too mate
So you won’t be short of options

Good luck

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Termination of membership....really????
I know how it ran and what it’s like up there Dave
There loss and hopefully they read into this and try sort the members out correctly
But at the end of the day it’s done you a favour
Where you thinking next then Dave?
More than welcome down my place for a thrash if you want pal
What’s happening with stu is he moving to or staying put?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've just read what you posted Dave and I can't find anything that is in the least bit OTT. To me, what you posted read as your experiences, not your opinions. Only having 3 comps available on a weekend is an experience not an opinion. Struggling to book tee times at all or before a certain time is an experience not an opinion.

Close House terminating your membership for relating your experiences, not your opinions, is very poor form. If they're not big enough to take that on the chin they're pretty small minded and petty. Not a place I'd want to visit.

Good luck with your next 'home.'

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really tricky situation Dave.

While it's good to have a rant, or air views on the forum, it isn't easy for companies or clubs to have a right of reply, which is important in the interest of fairness. Beyond that, I think you'd concede that it might have been better to express your views directly to the club so that they could address them.

However, the club's response is very disappointing. Personally, I would have rung you up and made you aware that the club had viewed your comments and were concerned that they weren't doing everything to keep their members happy, called you into a meeting, invited you to bring along anyone else who felt the same as you, and thrash out short-term and long-term solutions. This would have benefitted yourself and the club.

However, this draconian "like it or lump it" approach would certainly put me off playing at the club. Get yourself a new club asap and move on.

Edit: I trust you are due a pro-rata refund as well?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Attracted the ire of Close House, so much so that they terminated my membership.

Well that's poor form and perhaps gives more insight into their mindset than anything you wrote (which btw all seemed valid and factual, not loose gossip or opinions) :mad:

Seems you're better out of it - hope you find sonewhere more suitable soon :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It would seem having an opinion is a breach of free speech, something we fought for and should, if factual & truthful, not ever have any consequences.

If any individual or establishment takes offence to an opinion whether voiced in public or directly, and it is truthful & factually based opinion and not deemed to be slanderous or libellous, then that individual or establishment need to have the balls to openly defend and debate that opinion.

I am in a situation currently due to a tweet I have made, and I am considering my options.

D

Deleted member 21258

Quite shocked by that, very strange decision by the club, how to burn bridges etc rather than a smooth departure.

Sure makes me think about not playing there or the country membership.

How does that effect your future membership applications, does that mean you will need to declare it when applying to the new club?

Chris Curry

Visit site
They're all canny clubs in the list but for me it would have to be Tyneside. Classic James Braid track which is easily the one which copes with bad weather the best.

The others I like - especially Garesfield (and someone said Ravensworth) - but they don't tolerate the wet (which is the usual norm - hopefully not for a few months yet though, eh) as well as Tyneside.

Chris Curry

Visit site
I always post as me. No hidden names or owt.

They don't like it, stuff 'em! (Mod Edit)

You said nothing inflammatory IMO.

If they're that short-minded you're well away from the place!

That said I am a chippy, incalcitrant, Northern git! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Really tricky situation Dave.

While it's good to have a rant, or air views on the forum, it isn't easy for companies or clubs to have a right of reply, which is important in the interest of fairness.

It would be very easy for them to reply, all they need to do is get the secretary to join this forum and post their side of the story. Have seen that happen on other forums when a company feels that it needs to put it's side of the story.

Very poor state of affairs from the club, and CH must know that their reputation was likely to be further damaged once that their draconian action became public knowledge.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems a dramatic and negative move. With social medial these days it would have been been really easy to put a post out saying we've seen the issues raised, we'd like to meet with Khamelion and discuss his concerns. Shows they are aare of the situation, show they are open to discussion and see where it goes. If they took him to a meeting and the outcome was the same then they should expect all the negativity it would attract. Sad outcome. I hope Khamelion finds a new home, new golfing friends and put the situation behind him.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still no one has answered Jensen’s question, how did they know exactly who it was? Is GM towers able to answer this or is it because I’m far too lazy to google it for myself?