Thinking about moving clubs

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave where abouts to you live?

Beamish is a good shout although I know in the winter they go down to 14 holes
Couple holes in the middle are bland but I like the place.
Tyneside played it twice and not my cup of tea to many stand about waiting for the Bell to ring and I have heard they have a load of members so comps might be difficult to get into
Hexham is a nice track worth a look up that way has good practice area too
Ryton is a nice little track and the greens are normally good
Prudhoe is a good lay out but the greens have been dodgey each time I've played it
Played in a open there with moogie and we watched a greenkeeper actually rip 1/3 of the green up completely
Garesfield played it a few times. And to be honest the greens have been very good each time. I would consider there
Close house filly deal is worth it IMO I liked it when I played there and it was in very good nick. Haven't played the colt course before mind but I have heard it's over rated

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Somebody else mentioned Stocksfield which I think is not too far from you, ignore this if I'm wrong. I like it. A bit tight on some holes on the front 9 but it's always been pristine when I've played it and it has a friendly feel to it. Worth a try out if you are going to look at a few.

Heavy-grebo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dave I played your place last month in a society, on a Sunday for £20. Bacon butties included. The course has been on my list to do for a while now and gotta say it's a cracker. I know we were lucky as not many societies get to play there but maybe they are coming round to societies, slowly.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well after all was written, the option of moving to Clouse House was what was chosen, it just seemed to good to be true. Golf anytime Monday to Friday, after 14:00hrs on a weekend (Filly only), lots of competitions to keep a handicap going, plus the use of all the facilities, only thing I couldn't do was play the Colt course.

Well, it turned out it was to good to be true.

Golf anytime Monday to Friday, yes there is, so long as the Filly is not booked out to one of the many corporate days, checked for this week and Tuesday and Friday through the day are booked out.

Golf after 14:00hrs on a weekend, yes but you have to be online to make a booking 1 second after midnight otherwise your tee time can be after 16:00hrs or not at all. Paul tried to get a tee time yesterday - Sunday 24th June - only to see that there were no available member slots until after 17:00hrs. Checked the online tee booking site Teeofftimes and the public could book a time, yet there was nothing for members.

Yes there are lots of competitions, accept they are all on a Wednesday when I'm working. I checked the calendar, there are only 3 competitions on a weekend that as a Filly member I can play in, two have already past, next one is a Sunday in August.

So needless to write, it was to good to be true, hence now looking for a new club, as I'll not be renewing at CH.

Not sure where I'll end up, could be Ryton, Stocksfield, back to Whickham (probably not), Chester-Le-Street is not out of the question either, need to play the courses again and for the first time to see what's what.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a great shame as it is a lovely place. However what you describe does not fit with what you need, or me for that matter if I was in your shoes.

The good news is that area is well blessed with very good courses so you have a good number to choose from.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a great shame as it is a lovely place. However what you describe does not fit with what you need, or me for that matter if I was in your shoes.

The good news is that area is well blessed with very good courses so you have a good number to choose from.

You're right it is a lovely place, the Filly this weekend was in great condition, it's just a shame that as a Filly only member the feeling you get is that you are just there to make up the numbers, to make sure the bottom line is solvent. You get the distinct feeling that if it wasn't for the big corporate days being played on the Filly, that course wouldn't get half as much looking after as it does.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're right it is a lovely place, the Filly this weekend was in great condition, it's just a shame that as a Filly only member the feeling you get is that you are just there to make up the numbers, to make sure the bottom line is solvent. You get the distinct feeling that if it wasn't for the big corporate days being played on the Filly, that course wouldn't get half as much looking after as it does.

Interesting how the corporates want to play the Filly, maybe the Colt is also busy, I don't know. Whenever I speak to people about CH, including members, I have yet to find one who prefers the Colt over the Filly.

D

Deleted member 16999

Interesting how the corporates want to play the Filly, maybe the Colt is also busy, I don't know. Whenever I speak to people about CH, including members, I have yet to find one who prefers the Colt over the Filly.
I believe there is a big price difference for corporate between the 2.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

I played the Colt as a freebee as a thankyou to all new members, played it on a scorching hot day, the greens were superb, it is a little hilly, only 3 holes that get your breathing heavy other than that it's a nice course. If it was within my price range I wouldn't complain at playing it every week. However, that written I do prefer the Filly.

The filly in my mind provides me more of a challenge than the Colt does, in fact I finished the round I had on the Colt with the same ball I started with, I found the Colt one of the easier courses I've played, that written, it was a red hot wind free day.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe there is a big price difference for corporate between the 2.

If Corporate pricing plays the same as member pricing, the difference is huge.

Premium Academy member - Filly Only - £720 per year or £60 per month.

Full Membership - Colt & Filly - £2100 per year or £175 per month

D

Deleted member 16999

If Corporate pricing plays the same as member pricing, the difference is huge.

Premium Academy member - Filly Only - £720 per year or £60 per month.

Full Membership - Colt & Filly - £2100 per year or £175 per month
A lad at the Golf was telling us his Dad’s firm are holding a day on the Filly because they couldn’t afford the Colt.
They thought they’d get a choice for the same price.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes Dave
As discussed with you last week at forest pines
I was sold a pack of lies too.
With regards the limit on the numbers they'd take on that deal, (initially 100), about the number of club comps qualifiers......and a whole lot more
Bentley......no private plate.....not interested

As much as I really enjoy playing the filly, I need to be able to get out there, book a time and play.
So that's why we walked and didn't even see 12 months out
They even offer to allow you to upgrade to full membership for the 6 (good) months between April til end September......then drop back to academy deal.
Another sign that the £££ is all they're interested in
As I bet most full members aren't aware these deals are there....£175 per month for summer then £60 per month for the off season, winter period, that's unheard of Id guess elsewhere.

Anyway......we're really happy at Matfen Hall
3 loops of 9, par 3 course, practice areas, plus driving range
Never fail to book a tee time
Comps every weds, sat, Sunday, 9 hole comps on Friday, plus other topical comps throughout the calendar
Staff friendly and helpful, even remember your name (unlike CH)
Members come first

Dave, as said before, you're welcome anytime for a game mate👍

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Matfen today and if you haven't played it before then it is worth adding to your list to check out. I played the two old nines and very enjoyable too.

Relatively forgiving off the yellow tees but the greens are very well protected with bunkers surrounding most greens. I like courses like that, not all about distance but test your iron play. Very different off the whites on certain tees, very different, and anyone with a h/c there can take it anywhere else comfortably. Greens were true, interesting and just the right pace. It is a good test.

I liked the clubhouse, nice set up.

The only questions I would have, maybe Moogie can answer, is the course looks like it attracts a lot of society and corporate golfers. Will they clog up the course? The course looks very open. Does it get feisty in poor weather?

All in all though, very enjoyable and I will be looking to play there again.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Matfen today and if you haven't played it before then it is worth adding to your list to check out. I played the two old nines and very enjoyable too.

Relatively forgiving off the yellow tees but the greens are very well protected with bunkers surrounding most greens. I like courses like that, not all about distance but test your iron play. Very different off the whites on certain tees, very different, and anyone with a h/c there can take it anywhere else comfortably. Greens were true, interesting and just the right pace. It is a good test.

I liked the clubhouse, nice set up.

The only questions I would have, maybe Moogie can answer, is the course looks like it attracts a lot of society and corporate golfers. Will they clog up the course? The course looks very open. Does it get feisty in poor weather?

All in all though, very enjoyable and I will be looking to play there again.

Pleased you enjoyed it mate.
The original layout plays 6355yds off yellow, the goes to 6700yds off whites.
1 par 5 becomes 60yds longer, but it's the length of the par 4's that test most.
With water just in front of several greens, making you think carefully on approach shots.

Yes , Matfen Hall, can and does , attract many societies, corporates, green fees and hotel guests (hotel on site)
But due the place having 3 loops of 9, there is a system in place that works really well, whereby this causes no issues to the members
PM sent with explanation ( hopefully you understand explanation)

The clubhouse lodge is very informal and welcoming, decent food and drink, at very reasonable prices too.