Thinking about moving clubs

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the subject says, I'm toying with the idea of moving clubs next year. Don't get me wrong my current club, well the course is great, it's a good test, and the club is run well, it could be one of the only clubs in the area that will be in the black once the books are audited. However a couple of daft little things have got my back up.

The catering was always franchised but never very successful, so the club took it back in house with an on the books chef/cook, but when I asked about a society meet with a coffee and bacon butty as part of the deal, I got told, "no, we don't do that kind of thing", which to me is a bit backward.

Hence the society meet I was looking to setup, didn't happen and the club lost out on a couple of hundred quid, in fees and likely bar money afterwards.

So, with the above in mind I was looking at other clubs, anyone from the north east got any views, comments on

Ponteland
Garesfield
Ryton
Tyneside

Cheers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played Tyneside with you this year and I think you enjoyed it. It seems a very good club to me, lots of members though so I don't know what it is like getting times for comps etc. Course in great nick whenever I have played it. Not sure I'd want to play the "coffin" hole every week mind, ha ha.

Not played Ponteland but my son has and he said it was decent but not exceptional. I'm not sure how great it is in winter either.

Don't know the other two but maybe worth having a word with Moogie. He has joined Close House, Filly course only at a very fair rate for courses in the area, certainly on par with the others. I don't know if there are any restrictions with the deal, cost of entering comps etc but it sounded really interesting. Same sort of area as Tyneside and Ryton so no extra driving required.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where abouts are u over there? I lived in hebburn and played Ramside, canny course, and handy enough. Played pointeland and was very wet, nice enough but would think it would be a swamp after September. Tyneside is canny too, not played the others though. Have u any mates local that are members anywhere?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tyneside for me out of those, Garesfield is 500 yards from my house but is VERY hilly and was in poor condition when I played it in late October.
As LT says, Close House are doing a cracking membership for the Filly course. Don't forget CLS down the road as well ;)
Is Kraxx also offski?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where abouts are u over there? I lived in hebburn and played Ramside, canny course, and handy enough. Played pointeland and was very wet, nice enough but would think it would be a swamp after September. Tyneside is canny too, not played the others though. Have u any mates local that are members anywhere?

There's three of us who all play at Whickham, I've played a lot of the local courses, but mostly during the summer months, so never really had condition issues, so the courses have always bee presented well.

Also thought about Beamish Park GC as well. Reading LTs post about Moogie at Close House, would be interested to know how that works.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tyneside for me out of those, Garesfield is 500 yards from my house but is VERY hilly and was in poor condition when I played it in late October.
As LT says, Close House are doing a cracking membership for the Filly course. Don't forget CLS down the road as well ;)
Is Kraxx also offski?

Good call on CLS. Yeah could be, I think a lot will depend on what the committee tell us come next years AGM.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave, my opinion

Ponteland ..... Decent course , nowt special, great greens, expensive compared to some others local

Garesfield ..... I really like the place, like the layout, nice atmosphere to the place too

Ryton ..... Shortish course, feels a bit crammed in places, great greens, course is nearly always in very good condition, no good if you slice though, river Tyne on 1 side, railway track when going back the other way

Tyneside ..... Nice course, very busy course, I know some lads there and weekends are rammed

1) Garesfield
2) Tyneside
3) Ponteland
4) Ryton

But you should take a look at the close house deal I've just joined on.
The best condition course in area, not short of money to do work on course😉

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave, my opinion

Ponteland ..... Decent course , nowt special, great greens, expensive compared to some others local

Garesfield ..... I really like the place, like the layout, nice atmosphere to the place too

Ryton ..... Shortish course, feels a bit crammed in places, great greens, course is nearly always in very good condition, no good if you slice though, river Tyne on 1 side, railway track when going back the other way

Tyneside ..... Nice course, very busy course, I know some lads there and weekends are rammed

1) Garesfield
2) Tyneside
3) Ponteland
4) Ryton

But you should take a look at the close house deal I've just joined on.
The best condition course in area, not short of money to do work on course😉

Played Ponteland md week through the summer and as you write the greens were great, some nice holes, but a bit bland as well. Clubhouse was good and the food really good, no idea how it plays on a Saturday during comps or how busy it gets and compared to others it is more expensive for what you get.

Heard good and bad about Garesfield, so not sure about that one, would have to give the course a run out as I've never played there.

Ryton and Tyneside are nice courses, but I'm not up for crammed congested courses.

More thought required, the Close House option is very tempting.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played the championship course at Close House and felt VERY underwhelmed after. Personally think the whole place is very overrated and have no desire to go back.
In fact I preferred your course, Whickham, and will definitely be back.
Not played that many courses in the north east, but my favourite so far is Matfen Hall.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As the subject says, I'm toying with the idea of moving clubs next year. Don't get me wrong my current club, well the course is great, it's a good test, and the club is run well, it could be one of the only clubs in the area that will be in the black once the books are audited. However a couple of daft little things have got my back up.

The catering was always franchised but never very successful, so the club took it back in house with an on the books chef/cook, but when I asked about a society meet with a coffee and bacon butty as part of the deal, I got told, "no, we don't do that kind of thing", which to me is a bit backward.

Hence the society meet I was looking to setup, didn't happen and the club lost out on a couple of hundred quid, in fees and likely bar money afterwards.

So, with the above in mind I was looking at other clubs, anyone from the north east got any views, comments on

Ponteland
Garesfield
Ryton
Tyneside

Cheers

Can I ask why you didn't pursue it further with the club or the chef? I'm sure if they were aware of the situation fully and the potential lsot of revenue they'd have found a way to accommodate. Hardly the hardest thing to knock up

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tyneside every time. Played it loads and love it.

Two you haven't mentioned are Prudhoe and Stocksfield. Bit further up the valley but not too far. Prudhoe had a proper lads club feel to it, but I don't remember the course too well. Liked Stocksfield though.

If you're not working next Monday afternoon about 2-ish............

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cannot comment about the other courses, but played Tyneside twice and loved it both times. Has everything for me, not sure why you don't like the coffin hole. Melly birdied it first time he played 😁
It might seem an odd statement but we got good " vibes" when we played there.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I've heard good things from Ponteland. But from the list - Tyneside is probably my favourite - a good Harry Colt course. I play at Brancepeth Castle - but might be a journey for you but worth it.
But if you don't mind a commute I recommend looking up the Northumberland Coastline - I played bamburgh on sunday - beautiful course and membership only 350 a year I was told!

In the north east I think we're lucky with the quality of courses we have - brancepeth, Tyneside Ramside (princes course though - new one is rubbish), Slaley, Close house, matfen, linden, south shields, seaton carew, the list goes on and on, I'd suggest you do your research and pick a course that's right for you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure there's more to it, but you've made it sound like you're leaving your club just because they wouldn't do you a couple of bacon rolls. :D

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure there's more to it, but you've made it sound like you're leaving your club just because they wouldn't do you a couple of bacon rolls. :D

There is a little more to it than a couple of bacon rolls, and now it's going to read like some major conspiracy, falling out or whatever else the imagination can dream up. I guess there is a combination of a few little things, which at the moment make me want to try somewhere new.

I may end up staying at Whickham, as I've mentioned I'll wait to hear what's said at the AGM next year, what the clubs prospects are, what their plan is etc.. and make my mind up from there.

I opened the door about moving to a new club, soo while the weather is still decent, any recommendations for courses that people make, I've then got the chance to go play a round there, that written I lot of the courses mentioned I've already played and I agree with above Tyneside is a cracking course.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a little more to it than a couple of bacon rolls, and now it's going to read like some major conspiracy, falling out or whatever else the imagination can dream up. I guess there is a combination of a few little things, which at the moment make me want to try somewhere new.

I may end up staying at Whickham, as I've mentioned I'll wait to hear what's said at the AGM next year, what the clubs prospects are, what their plan is etc.. and make my mind up from there.

I opened the door about moving to a new club, soo while the weather is still decent, any recommendations for courses that people make, I've then got the chance to go play a round there, that written I lot of the courses mentioned I've already played and I agree with above Tyneside is a cracking course.

The younger ones at your place are a bit erm...sniff-sniff...wild :D