Things to do in St. Andrews

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all

I'm off to St. Andrews for a little mid week break next Monday til Friday.

Just wondering what there is to do in the area. All golf And none golf related suggestions welcome.

Tempted to take the clubs if I can sneak them in without the missus noticing.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening all

I'm off to St. Andrews for a little mid week break next Monday til Friday.

Just wondering what there is to do in the area. All golf And none golf related suggestions welcome.

Tempted to take the clubs if I can sneak them in without the missus noticing.

If you either park over near the East Sands (the wee beach, as opposed to the main one that the Golf courses are on) or just walk from the town out that way, there is a long coastal walk out of the town. The path climbs from the East Sands beach onto the cliffs above the town. As far as I know you can walk as far as the Forth Bridge, but a brisk walk out beyond the Castle course as far as the Fairmont will work up an appetite. Reckon you could get from the Cathedral to the Fairmont in 50 mins or so.

You could probably get a bit of lunch at the Fairmont, and then if you hang about at reception you might be able to pretend you are a guest there and take advantage of their free bus back into town. Alternatively hoof it back along the same path.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you either park over near the East Sands (the wee beach, as opposed to the main one that the Golf courses are on) or just walk from the town out that way, there is a long coastal walk out of the town. The path climbs from the East Sands beach onto the cliffs above the town. As far as I know you can walk as far as the Forth Bridge, but a brisk walk out beyond the Castle course as far as the Fairmont will work up an appetite. Reckon you could get from the Cathedral to the Fairmont in 50 mins or so.

You could probably get a bit of lunch at the Fairmont, and then if you hang about at reception you might be able to pretend you are a guest there and take advantage of their free bus back into town. Alternatively hoof it back along the same path.

Sounds decent.

I'm guessing getting a round on the old course is just a no go without prior booking??

Visit site
Take a drive to Crail, lovely little harbour and fishing village, Pitenweem is nice as well. But St Andrews is just more then golf. Great place.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting on the Himilayas putting course... great fun

+1 for this, great fun and a good way to spend an hour or so. I like checking out the Dunvagen for all the pictures etc, same with the jigger. If the weathers nice, a visit to the cathedral is worth it, plenty of places to sit and have a coffee etc, can also visit Old and Young Tom Morris's graves.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
mostly Golf, though there are some shops to keep the wife busy for a few hours.

Dundee isn't that far you could send here there for the day while you play;)

if you can't get on the old as a single, new and jubilee are both better courses anyway, try those

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not played the Jubilee but as much as I liked the new course it was not really memorable. I can remember every minute of my time on the Old Course.

If you haven't played a course how can you say it's better or not than another?

Jubilee is most definitely better than the Old course.