The young scot is out...

nicksampo

Assistant Pro
nicksampo.deviantart.com
Exactly, he did well but Roddick was on form. What can you do with 130mph plus average speed first serves going in (near the corners mostly) nearly 8 out of 10 times! I'm sure he'll get there in the next few years.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not good news! I have £100 with a mate that he will win a major before Rory Mcilroy.

Still not a bad result form the lad and much better than Tiger Tim.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought he played well but was beaten by the better man on the day. He didn't capitulate (a la Henman) and lost two sets only on a tie break. He's still young and will be back and may yet win the title

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I thought he played well but was beaten by the better man on the day. He didn't capitulate (a la Henman) and lost two sets only on a tie break. He's still young and will be back and may yet win the title

I'm not anti AM as a person, or tennis player for that. But it's this sort of comment which makes me quite pleased that he lost.

Rather than celebrate an up and coming talent let's use the opportunity to slag of our previous best player.

Henman made pretty much the best of his talents, he was a good player, and we all wanted him to be world no.1. Well he wasn't good enough - it's not a crime. For someone of limited talent to get to the semi finals of a grand slam half a dozen times, win nearly a dozen professional tournaments, and earn a fortune, I think deserves praise, not backstabbing.

Murray is a different kettle of fish. He's a bigger talent, and hopefully will use that to win a grand slam ( or two ). But all the while there is a Federer, or Nadal out there ( or Sampras in Henman's case ) it's going to be tough.

The boy done good, but not great. He'll be back, but Nadal is going to be the world no 1 for a fair while yet, and all the while he's around Andy isn't going to have a better chance than this year.

I think praise the semifinal position, by aim for one better next time. If I remember rightly, wasn't Andy always meant to be a counterhitter, and thus maybe more suited to win the US or the French ?

Looking forward in hope, and expectation :cool:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unlucky... good match.

Agreed. Superb effort. Tough to lose the last two sets on two tie-breaks.

Roll on the majesty of R.F. I actually like Roddick these days, but R.F. is a god of tennis and deserves another title.

Also, congrat's to Mark Petchey on his commentary work. Mark is a relation (of sorts) and also coached Murray in the early days. Nice to see him making good use of his experience.

:)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wasn't slagging Henman off per se as I agree. He is like a lot of the guys on the golf tour that aren't technically correct (Jeev Milkha Singh etc) but find a way to perform well regularly. However there were times when Henman had chances (Courier) and didn't perform on the day and that was the soul destroying part, knowing he had the potential and couldn't quite find the key

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn't slagging Henman off per se as I agree... However there were times when Henman had chances (Courier) and didn't perform on the day and that was the soul destroying part, knowing he had the potential and couldn't quite find the key

That's about right. Thing was, Henman reached no.4 but only really had his best game for grass and often (as I remember it) did crumble. Not running him down, but I'm sure his disappointment with himself is probably greater than the nation's disappointment.

Murray is different as far as I can see. He lost, but he was pretty solid.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Murray has one advantage over Henman, his serve is a weapon. Henman did amazingly well with a serve which wouldn't trouble the women. He was mentally tough too, as is witnessed by the number of 5 setters he won.

Murray will win one, but he needs to win somewhere else first, with less pressure.

Going tomorrow, so hoping Roddick can put up a show, but the money is on Feds in straight sets.