The world of golf is being held back

steve_wood

Medal Winner
Visit site
Gilbert, its people lile you that made me stop playing golf when I was younger. At the end of the day I am just a working class lad, rough round the edges but a good person at heart. I enjoy playing golf, i find it relaxing and I love being outdoors. Yes I dress as to dress code at my local club which I am now a member of. But I don't want to put up with the pomp and snobbery that goes hand and hand at a lot of golf clubs. I don't care for it. I couldn't give a flying toss if your a director, mason, wealthy whatever, if your a git your a git regardless.

Golf clubs have to move on with the times, this is the 21st century after all.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
isnt it interesting when you visit the likes of Turnberry, Carnoustie, Gleneagles etc etc and find its smart casual wear throughout, golf shoes can also be worn anywhere indoors (as far as I remember), no collar and ties, no snobbery, just friendly courteous service minded people that take ownership and responsibility for the place they work in.
I however, had the misfortune to play at a well known club near Glasgow that still doesnt allow female members and was informed to arrive in a Jacket, and if nice weather I could play in Knee length shorts as long as I wore knee length socks:eek:
There's standards and there's standards!

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
isnt it interesting when you visit the likes of Turnberry, Carnoustie, Gleneagles etc etc and find its smart casual wear throughout, golf shoes can also be worn anywhere indoors (as far as I remember), no collar and ties, no snobbery, just friendly courteous service minded people that take ownership and responsibility for the place they work in.
I however, had the misfortune to play at a well known club near Glasgow that still doesnt allow female members and was informed to arrive in a Jacket, and if nice weather I could play in Knee length shorts as long as I wore knee length socks:eek:
There's standards and there's standards!

Toss up between either Pollock or Killermont then?

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally I think golf clubs need characters like Gilbert, whats a club without a bit of controversy and someone to shake things up now and again? Does anyone really want a golfing utopia where everyone agrees all the time and golfers hold hands skipping up the fairway?

The Gilberts at my club are an integral part of the place, like an old antique hickory hanging on the wall, sure they belong to the past but they bring character, history and colour to the clubhouse. Their views may be old fashioned and more often ignored, but life would be boring without them, just look at how Gilbert has kept us all going these last few days, I would have done some work otherwise.

Golf as a sport and our golf clubs are meant to be full of characters with different views, opinions, swings, scores and abilities, thats what makes them unique and makes for conversation and debate over a pint in the clubhouse afterwards. What else would we talk about? How nice and cordial we are to each other? Bollocks to that, give me a good natured slagging match, a hearty debate and a bit of controversy any day of the week.

Good on you Gilberts of the golfing world, dont ever change!

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I think golf clubs need characters like Gilbert, whats a club without a bit of controversy and someone to shake things up now and again? Does anyone really want a golfing utopia where everyone agrees all the time and golfers hold hands skipping up the fairway?

The Gilberts at my club are an integral part of the place, like an old antique hickory hanging on the wall, sure they belong to the past but they bring character, history and colour to the clubhouse. Their views may be old fashioned and more often ignored, but life would be boring without them, just look at how Gilbert has kept us all going these last few days, I would have done some work otherwise.

Golf as a sport and our golf clubs are meant to be full of characters with different views, opinions, swings, scores and abilities, thats what makes them unique and makes for conversation and debate over a pint in the clubhouse afterwards. What else would we talk about? How nice and cordial we are to each other? Bollocks to that, give me a good natured slagging match, a hearty debate and a bit of controversy any day of the week.

Good on you Gilberts of the golfing world, dont ever change!

there is no fine line between banter/ debate/ slagging and pomposity - it is a yawning chasm

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ironically some of the American clubs are a good example of how it should be done. Friendly places with people dressed in respectable causal clothes or appropriate golf kit, no ties, jackets or cravats, but no football tops or jeans either.

I have no time for the pompous stuck up "members clubs" where well fed members in jackets and stained ties look down at the peasants.

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Over the 40 odd years I have played this game there have been many meeting of all types of members.
The stuck up pompus ass and Col Blimp types but most are genuine working men who enjoy walking to the first tee with 3 stangers and returning with 3 friends.
Some are upset when their little isolated world is invaded by strangers who seem to be having a laugh and a joke as they play.
I know what type of match I want to play in and I say to those others you keep yourself isolated by your attitude.
I only go for the beer anyway and the laughs.
Remember you are a long time dead so enjoy this life as much as you can.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ironically some of the American clubs are a good example of how it should be done. Friendly places with people dressed in respectable causal clothes or appropriate golf kit, no ties, jackets or cravats, but no football tops or jeans either.

I have no time for the pompous stuck up "members clubs" where well fed members in jackets and stained ties look down at the peasants.
Ironically? I can´t see the the irony! Americans are friendly, decent folks.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of the friendliest golf courses i have ever been to are in France

They are classless, albeit there are posh people there as well, they wear jeans on the course, they wear collarless shirts, THEY LET PEOPLE PLAY THROUGH, they smile, they speak to you in English after you have embearrassed yourself with poor O level french, and they dont mind the standard of your play, and the weather is without execption better than here.

There are so few courses, that you would think they would be full of rich tw*ts. But they're not. They are an asbsolute pleasure to play and enjoy.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Classic thread !!!!

Gilbert, May I assume you are Gilbert Hamblet ?? The same Gilbert who visisted the HDID forum a while back.... Oh those were the days !!! I see you havn't changed a bit (if it is you that is) We do miss the days of old when you and Sancto were at it hammer and tong !!! It's got to be you, no-one else takes so much time to construct thier replies. At least your still out there playing golf and fighting the corner for old gits ;-)

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
may the shaft be with you young padewan:p

I knew there was still good in you somewhere - i could sense it!

May the Course be with you !

see what ive done with that - clever eh

God it's been a slow work day today!

Last edited: