The world of golf is being held back

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"There are hundred of clubs out there now begging for members…Funny though how all the traditional clubs don’t appear to be chasing members"

Please enlighten us,just what is a "traditional club" ?
If you mean a private members club,where tradition and standards,are as important as the condition of the greens,then why are so many offering pay and play memberships ?

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
:D :D :D

Golf needs to look forward not back. Yes be aware of it's history but it's time to move on or a lot clubs will go to the wall and as such ties and blazers are out at the majority of places. Clubhouses are accepting denim, opening up to the wider public just to get by.

Golf needs saved from itself, the stuffiness and stick in the muds like the OP. Where would golf be now if Tiger hadn't took the world of golf by storm, I fear a worse place than where it is today and that is why we need changes and fresh air like Tiger brought... who does he hand the batten onto now or what can be the next thing to happen that will capture everyone just like Eldrick did.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
"The World of Golf is being held back." Hearty haha.

Golf is more inclusive than its ever been. There are more juniors playing than 10 years ago, and loads more than 20 years ago, and believe me there are absolutely stacks more than 40 years ago - I could go days without seeing another junior, even in the summer holidays.

I am an old fashioned traditionalist, and do miss some aspects of what used to happen in clubs but golfclubs are more fun now than 30 years ago, and definitely better than 40 years ago.

So just what is missing that I'd like to see back? My first choice would be being waved through when a group is looking for a ball. Speed of play could be better, and for the love of god leave your damned mobile phone in the car/locker, or turn the damned thing off. That said, wearing denim doesn't make you a mass murderer, and some of us traditionalists would do well to learn to bend a little... we all need to respect each other's differences and recognise that we all have something to offer the game we love.

Anyway, sun's down and it must be G&T time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Gilbert,

Having read your posts I can't decide if you are being naive, dogmatic or purely confrontational. There may be some valid and interesting points but every time you come on here it seems you are determined to single out specific members and pick an argument. I've had the pleasure of meeting a lot of these guys and those I haven't met in person I've enjoyed many hours debating this fantastic game with We've had the odd falling out (hell forget Goswickgate - Homergate knocked that into a cocked hat).

There are some good points made but you have to be prepared to let whatever happened at your club go and move on otherwise you risk alienating yourself to a wide number on here which would be a shame. Feel free to make whatever point you wish, as you rightly point out it is a forum after all. However accept that not everyone will agree with you

2004Champ

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I think this chap is at the wind-up, which I don't mind at all.

Either that or he is one very sad individual who needs to get a life.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I can only comment on what I see and hear at my club, but I don't think golf is actually being held back by the type of member I previously described. They are such a small minority compared to 30 years ago, and getting smaller with natural wastage.;) They add nothing to a members club, apart from there subs, but love to carp to the captain, committee, pro or anyone else they think will listen, moaning about the smallest thing that may have affected their enjoyment of their game. Comments are never for the good of the club or the membership, and this is the Me Me Me I refer to.

Just my views on an open forum, rather than a specific answer to your question.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why is golf being held back?

At my club, we have a very strong junior section, who up hold the standards set by the club (both etiquette and dress code). The majority of the membership also abide by the standards set (there will always be a few who push the limits, that is nothing new). My club is full, in all categories of membership. The course is busy, the club house id busy, the social events are over subscribed.

Many clubs are offering more flexible membership schemes to fit in with peoples budgets and lifestyles. This is a great advance on what previously happened, and which priced people out of the game.

The only changes of the dress code at my club in recent memory has been allowing those taking Sunday lunch to wear an open necked shirt, instead of jacket and tie (eminently sensible, especially in the summer), and the wearing of shorts in the dining room before 12.00 (to allow golfers wearing shorts to have breakfast without having to change afterwards). I do not see these changes as lowering the standards, but more of identifying what the membership in the 21st century would like, and allowing for this.

In general terms, average handicaps have not changed in the last ten years, so the standard of golf is not changing.

Speed of golf, yes, in my view it is getting slower. But then this mirrors the professional game, which is also getting slower. Golf however is not alone in this, as the over rate at cricket, and the set rate at tennis are also markedly slower than they used to be.
The only real way around this as an individual, is to get an earlier tee off time. Tee off at 06.30, and you will probably be home before the wife knows you have gone.

Yes, I'd like to see more pitch marks mended, but then I do not see this as the fault of any set group, be it sex, age, handicap, society, what ever. Some people don't mend pitch marks. They probably never have. View it as something the greens staff are supposed to do I guess. this is not a modern phenomenon, I have been playing golf for 35 years, and it has always been the same.

As for clean shoes? Why is this important. It has no bearing on anything. I might as well judge some ones golfing ability and conduct on the course by looking at the condition of their teeth, or the colour of their car (personally, I wouldn't let silver cars into the club car park, but then that is just me).

Have you ever tried cleaning white and purple shoes? Not easy.

Not sure what you mean by 'golf is being held back'.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Silver is the colour of choice for 25% of the worlds cars. Followed by black, at 24%, and then grey.

Not much choice then if buying second hand.

Black is often a standard colour, whilst silver is always a cost option. People go out of their way to choose a colour that every one else has, and it costs them more.

Dealerships like silver, because it looks tidy and monochrome in the show room. Add in a balck floor, and some chrome and glass furniture, very tidy. Loads of coloured cars look a mess in your nice neat show room.
Most people lack the imagination to envisage what a car would look like in a different colour, so will go with what they see. Silver. I'll have one just like that one over there. I don't want to stand oput ffom the crowd, oh, no.

People like silver though, as it can be driven around filthy dirty, alledgedly without other noticing how dirty it is.

I hate silver cars. Always have done. Why would any one buy a silver Ferrari?

I like garish footwear.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Silver is the colour of choice for 25% of the worlds cars. Followed by black, at 24%, and then grey.

Not much choice then if buying second hand.

Black is often a standard colour, whilst silver is always a cost option. People go out of their way to choose a colour that every one else has, and it costs them more.

Dealerships like silver, because it looks tidy and monochrome in the show room. Add in a balck floor, and some chrome and glass furniture, very tidy. Loads of coloured cars look a mess in your nice neat show room.
Most people lack the imagination to envisage what a car would look like in a different colour, so will go with what they see. Silver. I'll have one just like that one over there. I don't want to stand oput ffom the crowd, oh, no.

People like silver though, as it can be driven around filthy dirty, alledgedly without other noticing how dirty it is.

I hate silver cars. Always have done. Why would any one buy a silver Ferrari?

I like garish footwear.

Think I've had 3 silver cars now (the colour for people who can't make their mind up). I do think though, as you alluded, that certain colours suit certain cars. I think that silver suits mine.

If I had Ferrari money I would want that cracking bright yellow they do, in fact no I wouldn't I'd get a DB9, probably in silver.

Stick with the footwear - individuality should be relished not reviled. Apart from in golf shoes possibly, I'm a fan of plain black; immaculately cleaned for each round. But hey, that's just me - each to their own.

Must dash - off to see my indecision counsellor.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Due to a move of house and illness. I am not at the moment a club member, but looking at the local clubs to join in the new year. So let me relate a little story. Oh also I will be 65(so an old fart GIL).The club I have decided to join is Whitefield G.C. north Manchester.

I called in one sunday to have a look. They have a nice new club house and a great and well kept course. Firstly I called at the pro shop, it was closed. So went upstairs to the lounge which was full of all age groups watching man/city on TV. I was given a most warm welcome. I felt at home from the off. They could not do enough. (no ties to be seen just smart polo shirts and slacks). It was also nice to see family groups teeing off with smiles on there faces.They loaded me up with all kinds of books and things plus lists of phone numbers. I said I would pop down and pay a green fee and play around. To which they said no you wont. Just give use a ring when you want to play and they would find someone to play a round with me. It will cost you nothing as your thinking of joining. So I thanked them and went to leave. On going out 2 of the ladies were just off to the 1st tee. I asked if I could just walk up to the tee and have a look down the fairway. As I was thinking of joining. They invited me to walk the course with them if I wanted to. Very friendly. I just walked the 1st hole with them. Thanked them, at which they said that. When I join if I knew no one I could join them anytime for a game.

This club is over 100yrs old. But forward thinking. Yes they have a dress code and the normal etiquette you would expect. They were all well mannered friendly and happy. This is the type of club I want. A home from home. I will be joining in the New year. It is not the cheapest club in the area by any means. But very well attended. One of the stuffed shirt clubs(for want of a better name) which is nearer to me Is half the price, they have very few members!

Which club would you choose?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
People go out of their way to choose a colour that every one else has, and it costs them more.
I don't want to stand oput ffom the crowd, oh, no.

interestingly enough theres an old Psychology statement that reads "I want to be different, just like everyone else!"

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
"Brian: "Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me... You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"

Crowd: "Yes! We're all individuals!"

Brian: "You're all different!"

Crowd: "Yes! We're all different!"

Man: "I'm not."

Crowd: "Shhh!"