The Queen

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Moving Service of Remembrance earlier this evening, with to open so nice to hear one of my favourite hymns…All My Hope on God is Founded…Methodist hymns are my favourite traditional ones; then Psalm 23…chosen by my mum for my dad’s funeral…and The Flowers of the Forest to finish…beautiful piping lament.

Hacky

Visit site
I am extremely honoured and proud to have met the Queen and Her Majesty’s beloved Duke. She displayed such warmth to everyone she met and deep knowledge of such wide ranging subjects. The conversation I have had with the Queen was so engaging and there was strong feeling of total interest in the words of those she met.

Sleep well Ma’am in the knowledge you will be sorely missed.

Swango1980

Visit site
£28bn. No inheretance tax as she's exempt.

*stares as energy bill*

?
And I still wouldn't swap my life to be a member of the Royal Family, especially the King.

It is a pity some judge others by how much money others have. No amount of money could force me to give up my freedom and become the focus of the nations attention, become the major diplomat of the country and have at least 3 engagements per day well into my 90's.

I'm sure people whose lives are truly shocking would swap lives with they could. But for most of us, you'd have to think twice about what you'd be letting yourself in for.

Swango1980

Visit site
Always thought someone like Queen Victoria was a like a mythical historical figure, and it would be intriguing to go back in time to see what her reign was like. Even names the Victorian era after her, she is a bit of a legendary person.

Then I realise, in many ways, I took Queen Elizabeth II for granted. She was just something that was present in our lives, somewhere in the background. Now, when you reflect, she has been around for so long, and experienced so much, and so.much change in the world. She lived through WW2 and was in armed forces. She became Queen when Churchill was prime minister. She was at Wembley to watch England win the 1966 World Cup.

Centuries from now, people will look back at Queen Elizabeth II as an iconic, legendary figure in their history. They'll sometimes wonder what it would have been like to experience the era she lived in, and see the sort of person she was. On reflection, it has been nice to have been around for this little piece of history. In 80 years time, young children of today may well be proud to tell their grand children that they were alive at the same time as Elizabeth II.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Always thought someone like Queen Victoria was a like a mythical historical figure, and it would be intriguing to go back in time to see what her reign was like. Even names the Victorian era after her, she is a bit of a legendary person.

Then I realise, in many ways, I took Queen Elizabeth II for granted. She was just something that was present in our lives, somewhere in the background. Now, when you reflect, she has been around for so long, and experienced so much, and so.much change in the world. She lived through WW2 and was in armed forces. She became Queen when Churchill was prime minister. She was at Wembley to watch England win the 1966 World Cup.

Centuries from now, people will look back at Queen Elizabeth II as an iconic, legendary figure in their history. They'll sometimes wonder what it would have been like to experience the era she lived in, and see the sort of person she was. On reflection, it has been nice to have been around for this little piece of history. In 80 years time, young children of today may well be proud to tell their grand children that they were alive at the same time as Elizabeth II.

True, as a kid you grow up the queen's on the box at some place, waving, meeting people etc, you don't take much notice. Adulthood comes she's still on the box, same thing really, you have your own things to do family life etc, but she's still there in the background somewhere. Middle age, old age comes along, things have happened in your life, some good, some bad, but there's Liz, older greyer, but there nonetheless. A person you'll never know, probably never meet, but you've known her, in some small way your whole life…
And then, she ain't there anymore, gone. It will take some getting used to.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
True, as a kid you grow up the queen's on the box at some place, waving, meeting people etc, you don't take much notice. Adulthood comes she's still on the box, same thing really, you have your own things to do family life etc, but she's still there in the background somewhere. Middle age, old age comes along, things have happened in your life, some good, some bad, but there's Liz, older greyer, but there nonetheless. A person you'll never know, probably never meet, but you've known her, in some small way your whole life…
And then, she ain't there anymore, gone. It will take some getting used to.

Exactly that. It just feels so odd right now and I will take so long to get used to hearing the words "the King"...

Barking_Mad

Visit site
The large majorityt of that is not her personal wealth

"While the monarchy as a whole is worth $88 billion, according to Forbes magazine, Queen Elizabeth personally was worth a fraction of that. But $447 million of her own personal money should be going to her family.

Some of that money is inherited: She got $85 million when her mother died and a further $12 million from her husband Philip. A large bulk of her income also originated in the Crown Estate — the monarch gets 15% of the profit of the large property estate, which once belonged to the monarchy and is worth nearly $10 billion. That income will now pass directly to her successor, Charles, after her death on Sept. 8, 2022 at age 96. "

https://nypost.com/2022/09/08/queen-elizabeths-net-worth-who-inherits-her-money-and-homes/

Last edited:

Barking_Mad

Visit site
And I still wouldn't swap my life to be a member of the Royal Family, especially the King.

Nobody is asking you to. This is a strawman argument and has nothing to do with the reality of the existing economic disparity.

It is a pity some judge others by how much money others have. No amount of money could force me to give up my freedom and become the focus of the nations attention, become the major diplomat of the country and have at least 3 engagements per day well into my 90's.

Again, a strawman argument. The Royal Family are free to not be the Royal Family. They're free to sell land and give away money to benefit their subjects.

I'm sure people whose lives are truly shocking would swap lives with they could. But for most of us, you'd have to think twice about what you'd be letting yourself in for.

Again, a strawman argument.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Nobody is asking you to. This is a strawman argument and has nothing to do with the reality of the existing economic disparity.

Again, a strawman argument. The Royal Family are free to not be the Royal Family. They're free to sell land and give away money to benefit their subjects.

You are Barking Mad.

Swango1980

Visit site

I know people who get loads more than me, and based on work effort they don't deserve it. I probably do significantly better than many people who work far harderthan me. I'd like to think they don't frown upon me on that, and I don't look down on people who are doing better than me.

She was Queen, of course she is going to have an absolute fortune. Of course she is going to live in several massive castles. Of course she'll never go hungry or have to start shopping in LIDL.

We all know this, so I'm unsure what your point is? I'm assuming you are trying to make a more general argument against the monarchy. And I am sure there is a thread in here somewhere for that. But, when her family make a shed load of money for the country through tourism or whatever else, then they are absolutely welcome to that fortune as far as I'm concerned. If they all moved out into two up tei down terraced house, they are not going to be in a great position to continue attracting tourism on the same scale.

Anyway, this thread is specifically about Elizabeth II. Unless you are saying she should gave broken up the monarchy, I think she has done a pretty fantastic duty for the nation. I doubt there are too many annoyed that she could pay her electric bill? Tho maybe I'm wrong, and hang about the wrong people.