The problem with golf ....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Really ? A joining determined by what HC you are ? Blimey that's really poor

And not at all "Elitist".....
We are going to have to have an interview when we join Whipsnade...Not really a problem but, to my mind, not entirely necessary.
All 3 of us are long-standing CONGU handicap holders and Club Members.
CVG's been playing nearly 40 years, I've played for nearly 25 and Fragger for a few less....Probably nigh on 80 years between us.
We know how to play and behave. We have a decent grasp on the rules and follow the ettiquette of the game...And we have money!
We've gathered enough info from the Pro and some Members to have worked out that the club meets what needs we have. The above shows that we will meet the requirements of the club.
Job done.
Or should be.
Not really a rant as I've no problem with the system if that's what the Club requires.
But it might put off a total newbie.
My first club was a " money on the table, fill in form, here's your bag tag" system. - perfect for newbies.
There needs to be clubs at this level, ones that are that easy to join.
There's a place for all systems though...

D

Deleted member 15344

We are going to have to have an interview when we join Whipsnade...Not really a problem but, to my mind, not entirely necessary.
CVG's been playing nearly 40 years, I've played for nearly 25 and Fragger for a few less....Probably nigh on 80 years between us.
We know how to play and behave. We have a decent grasp on the rules and follow the ettiquette of the game...And we have money!
We've gathered enough info from the Pro and some Members to have worked out that the club meets what needs we have. The above shows that we will meet the requirements of the club.
Job done.
Or should be.
Not really a rant as I've no problem with the system if that's what the Club requires.
My first club was a " money on the table, fill in form, here's your bag tag" system. - perfect for newbies.

Surely it all depends on what sort of interview it is

Is it a sitting at a desk with club officers and a formal type

Or a number of you in a room having a two way informal chat to talk about yourselves and to get any information you could need and also the officers of the club can meet new members and get to put faces to a name

When Mentmore closed Whipsnade took on a number of new members and they all grouped together for "Welcome Meetings" the same as what we do - no interview.

D

Deleted member 16999

Job done.
Or should be.

Is the interview prior to you handing over money or post joining?

D

Deleted member 16999

Finding out tomorrow Paul. Going cash in hand just in case👍

If it's prior to the handing over of cash, get in before your brother, that way you're bound to look good :ears:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In your hypothetical situation, it is hardly an inhibitor to you joining though. A simple email or phone call to the GM explaining you are interested in joining but don't know any members. I'm sure he would be delighted to hear from you.

I think some people overcomplicate a pretty straightforward process.

I know the threads moved on but cant help wondering if we know enough to really say if it is a pretty straightforward process

If a local has to get a proposer, seconder that they've known for years, apply, interview, etc etc why would someone moving into the area just have to drop an e-mail to the GM

It kinda means that the simple e-mail to the GM, is probably only the kick off to an even more rigorous joining process
(after all why would it be any easier than whatever the standard process is for a local person)

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know the threads moved on but cant help wondering if we know enough to really say if it is a pretty straightforward process

If a local has to get a proposer, seconder that they've known for years, apply, interview, etc etc why would someone moving into the area just have to drop an e-mail to the GM

It kinda means that the simple e-mail to the GM, is probably only the kick off to an even more rigorous joining process
(after all why would it be any easier than whatever the standard process is for a local person)
It allows them to be flexible - find you a couple of proposers or even have the committee act as proposers (effectively waiving the requirement). If they have places available, they will find a way to help. The membership process is usually written into the club rules so has to be adhered to - but the GM will most likely try to help.

at then the of the day it is bureaucracy and a perceived barrier to entry, but it is not usually insurmountable

I think things have moved on - 30 years ago as a junior joining a club I had no connection, aside from a couple of school mates, I was interviewed. Now that could be argued as being over the top

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It allows them to be flexible - find you a couple of proposers or even have the committee act as proposers (effectively waiving the requirement). If they have places available, they will find a way to help. The membership process is usually written into the club rules so has to be adhered to - but the GM will most likely try to help.

at then the of the day it is bureaucracy and a perceived barrier to entry, but it is not usually insurmountable

I think things have moved on - 30 years ago as a junior joining a club I had no connection, aside from a couple of school mates, I was interviewed. Now that could be argued as being over the top

Yeah it was more the perception that a mail to the GM and you're in, when the reality is that's just the start point to the process any perspective member will go through with alternatives to proposer etc will be needed

As you say its a perceived barrier a lot of the time but when you're looking up clubs on the web then that perception of a clubs membership process, dress code and even the style/quality of the website itself can either be a help or a hindrance in getting new members to come along

The fact that any bad clubs/joining processes/websites/perceptions exist, is a problem with golf
(although it'll never be perfect)

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
who wants an interview.. I just want to play golf.
but the interview allows the club to reject you if you're a 'criminal etc' and from what i can gather, that decision would be solely based on whether they thought you might be or might have been a criminal at some point. given they have no way of finding this information out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
but the interview allows the club to reject you if you're a 'criminal etc' and from what i can gather, that decision would be solely based on whether they thought you might be or might have been a criminal at some point. given they have no way of finding this information out.

when I join a club one day and I'm asked to interview I'll hide my swag bag

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Not necessarily, I may wish to visit for a look round but maybe I have played there as a guest or member before or maybe I just want to join. As mentioned anything that looks like a block or issue puts off the potential joiner so an option rather than a must would be enough.

Again the trick is not looking at it from your perspective but from everyone's and many just can't do that. It's all if it's ok for me then it should be ok for everyone else doesn't really work for anyone but the person thinking that.

Quite ironic then as you are dismissing quite a lot of perspectives...

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think you misunderstand the process. It has nothing to do with whether or not you are local, it is to do with whether or not you know any members. If you know a member, ask them to propose you. If you don't then contact the GM and explain you want to join.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Not necessarily, I may wish to visit for a look round but maybe I have played there as a guest or member before or maybe I just want to join. As mentioned anything that looks like a block or issue puts off the potential joiner so an option rather than a must would be enough.

Again the trick is not looking at it from your perspective but from everyone's and many just can't do that. It's all if it's ok for me then it should be ok for everyone else doesn't really work for anyone but the person thinking that.

Been thinking about this and I really don't see it from this point of view. If you really want to join a golf club you aren't going to be put off because someone asks you to sit down to have a chat.

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been thinking about this and I really don't see it from this point of view. If you really want to join a golf club you aren't going to be put off because someone asks you to sit down to have a chat.
Totally agree - perceived barriers which are accentuated by people's actions and approach

you are trying to join someone else's club - surely you need to make an effort?

Otherwise it's called buying a season ticket at a pay and play!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think you misunderstand the process. It has nothing to do with whether or not you are local, it is to do with whether or not you know any members. If you know a member, ask them to propose you. If you don't then contact the GM and explain you want to join.

yeah I think you get the point though
A local is more likely to know existing members over someone moving into the area but swap 'local' for 'know members' and 'new to area' with 'don't know members'

Either way I suspect a mail to the GM isn't the process in its entirety so we don't really know if hoops exist or not