The Open Rota

D

Deleted Member 1156

Good question!

There are some excellent courses that would really test the pros but are just not suitable due to the surrounding infrastructure. A composite course at Saunton would be great. Trump Aberdeen is another good test but you can't fit the crowds in because of the dunes.

I think Porthcawl is a great candidate and the most likely if another course is added.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Good question!

There are some excellent courses that would really test the pros but are just not suitable due to the surrounding infrastructure. A composite course at Saunton would be great. Trump Aberdeen is another good test but you can't fit the crowds in because of the dunes.

I think Porthcawl is a great candidate and the most likely if another course is added.

I'd second Saunton, 18 holes made from East and West could be easily one of the best in the UK

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The R&A have been up and down to Porthcawl a lot lately..... lots of gorse removed to aid spectator traffic.... final qulaifying at Ashburnham, Pennard and Pyle!!! It would be geat to have it there!

Saunton, wonderful place, also has the holes and space, but one winding road in and out...

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good question!

Infrastructure ? Have you been to Carnoustie or St Andrews ? Worst road networks to golf courses I've ever experienced, I doubt infrastructure comes in to play with the r&a

D

Deleted member 15344

Royal County Down
Royal Porthcawl
Saunton Sands -using a combination

Then places like Royal Cinque Ports would be great but not sure if it can be lengthened

And Burnham and Berrow

But I think the top two are ones that are realistically close to joining, I expect Porthcawl to replace Hoylake at some point soon

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say the only issue with RCD is the infrastructure. Newcastle can be near impossible to get into and out of during a sunny day in the summer. I can't imagine what it would be like with 100,000 people going for a golf tournament. With no rail links they would have to run buses from pretty far away to make it possible.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The R&A have been up and down to Porthcawl a lot lately..... lots of gorse removed to aid spectator traffic.... final qulaifying at Ashburnham, Pennard and Pyle!!! It would be geat to have it there!

Saunton, wonderful place, also has the holes and space, but one winding road in and out...

The infrastructure in North Devon is woeful, and that's not just the South Devonian talking. Once you get off the Tiverton bypass you are at crawling speed and I'm not what the accommodation status would be for crowds that big.

But as a course Saunton would be amazing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Royal Dornoch would be interesting, but very little in the way of large scale accom and if they set it up as the pro's like it, way too short at 6700. Now if they had could guarantee firm greens a course with a 10mph plus breeze

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not gonna happen but would to see it at:

1. St.Enodoc
2. Burnham
3. Saunton (composite)

Or at RCD or Dornoch for the spectacle

D

Deleted Member 1156

Infrastructure ? Have you been to Carnoustie or St Andrews ? Worst road networks to golf courses I've ever experienced, I doubt infrastructure comes in to play with the r&a

Yes I've been to both many times. Have you been to Saunton? The access to the Scottish courses are like motorways in comparison.

D

Deleted member 17920

If it has to be links then I would love to see the pro's getting destroyed at Silloth

If the open could be played inland then I would love to see a good tough heathland course been used.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I've been to both many times. Have you been to Saunton? The access to the Scottish courses are like motorways in comparison.

I'd imagine they would have to offer park and ride facilities from just off the M5 as i dont see how else it would really work.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'd imagine they would have to offer park and ride facilities from just off the M5 as i dont see how else it would really work.

Yep but even then, could you imagine 40k people a day being taken in and out by bus :eek: