The Open 2023

wjemather

Visit site
No is the correct answer

The Open ( as it is correctly called ) is also held outside Great Britain

It’s not the British Open - it never has been and never will be

It’s The Open - nice and simple

“The expression “British Open” is not historically, geographically or politically accurate. You see, “British” just means “relating to Great Britain,” but Great Britain is a grand name we invented for a small island (comprising England, Scotland and Wales) in the north Atlantic ocean, off the northwest coast of mainland Europe. Northern Ireland (which has hosted two great Opens and is due another in 2025) is part of the island of Ireland, and although N.I. is part of the United Kingdom, it is actually not part of Great Britain. By referring to our championship as the “British Open,” the contribution of Northern Ireland is inadvertently obliterated. Please do not be tempted to call it “the U.K. Open!” If there is an analogy, think about implying Alaska or Hawaii are not part of the United States. That wouldn’t be polite!”

“However subtle this may all seem, golf fans in Great Britain and Northern Ireland remain mystified as to why some Americans insist on incorrectly name-checking The Open as the “British Open” or even “the British.” Neither the owners of the claret jug (the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews) nor the R&A (which now runs the championship) have ever called it by either name.”
We probably shouldn't lend much weight to the opinion of someone with an agenda - especially when they seem to have failed geography (to quote your earlier post) or more likely, deliberately omitted other uses of the term 'British' in order to prove their point - when you have to resort to partial truths, your argument probably isn't that strong.

We all know what it's called officially, but who cares?! 'British Open' has been in use just as long as any official title - and on both sides of the Atlantic. To call it wrong after all this time is ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 15344

We probably shouldn't lend much weight to the opinion of someone with an agenda - especially when they seem to have failed geography (to quote your earlier post) or more likely, deliberately omitted other uses of the term 'British' in order to prove their point - when you have to resort to partial truths, your argument probably isn't that strong.

We all know what it's called officially, but who cares?! 'British Open' has been in use just as long as any official title - and on both sides of the Atlantic. To call it wrong after all this time is ridiculous.

Agenda 🤷‍♂️

No idea what you are talking about

Just sticking with facts at the end of the day

There is no partial truths , no agenda just a simple fact of what the Tournament is called “officially”

And some people would rather such historic prestigious golf tournament to be treated with the respect it deserves and that includes calling it by its proper name

D

Deleted member 15344

I've never been to royal liverpool. Whats the best place to sit for a good view on some holes? I'm definitely gunna walk around and have a sit down on 7. any other places?

Looking at what’s been said in regards 17th that may well be a good place to spend some time , for such a short hole it has the potential to run up some numbers , especially if that front bunker is found

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Agenda 🤷‍♂️

No idea what you are talking about

Just sticking with facts at the end of the day

There is no partial truths , no agenda just a simple fact of what the Tournament is called “officially”

And some people would rather such historic prestigious golf tournament to be treated with the respect it deserves and that includes calling it by its proper name
Jeez chill out buddy 😬

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So who are we all fancying this wk?
Hard to look past Rory,but I’ll have a few quid on a couple of bigger priced players.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like to see the traditions of the game upheld, so to me it will always be The Open. And I will be very disappointed if Martin Slumbers says anything other than 'With a score of Two Hundred and Seventy, the winner of the Gold Medal, and the Champion Golfer of the Year, is Jon Rahm'.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The name of the British Open has varied in time and locale from needing or not its prefix. The Open probably had a tendency to be used more when it was a second class citizen to the US Open, and only, post Jones really, was an occasional curio that Americans took on now and again. Confusion was minimal. American entrants to it were very low until it started to rise in the 60s after Arnie put it back into the mainstream as worth crossing the Atlantic for. So the term British served a good purpose for most of the worlds best golfers - Americans - who would have needed that precision as it acquired renown again, to distinguish it from the US Open, and even the next most likely Open for Americans, the Canadian. Once the 'British Open' was back on the map, it got a little uppity about not being accorded its primacy as the king of opens, with the use of the prefix implying there were others, rather than it being an open above all opens. While the rest of the golf world probably does know about 'The Open' being a sort of branded push from the R&A in a sort of "Stop trying to make The Open happen Gretchen' way, it makes sense to call it the British Open for clarity. Even if it offends a few on this island.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The name of the British Open has varied in time and locale from needing or not its prefix. The Open probably had a tendency to be used more when it was a second class citizen to the US Open, and only, post Jones really, was an occasional curio that Americans took on now and again. Confusion was minimal. American entrants to it were very low until it started to rise in the 60s after Arnie put it back into the mainstream as worth crossing the Atlantic for. So the term British served a good purpose for most of the worlds best golfers - Americans - who would have needed that precision as it acquired renown again, to distinguish it from the US Open, and even the next most likely Open for Americans, the Canadian. Once the 'British Open' was back on the map, it got a little uppity about not being accorded its primacy as the king of opens, with the use of the prefix implying there were others, rather than it being an open above all opens. While the rest of the golf world probably does know about 'The Open' being a sort of branded push from the R&A in a sort of "Stop trying to make The Open happen Gretchen' way, it makes sense to call it the British Open for clarity. Even if it offends a few on this island.
Hope you’ve not got any plans for this evening mate 😂

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Be interesting to see how Bryson gets on this weekend, he had a top 10 finish last year and his game wasn’t all that…
Form has been steadily improving this year, and at 50/1 he’s 10/1 to place on an each way bet.
Decent value that. 👍

Still want to see Rahm win it though.

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Be interesting to see how Bryson gets on this weekend, he had a top 10 finish last year and his game wasn’t all that…
Form has been steadily improving this year, and at 50/1 he’s 10/1 to place on an each way bet.
Decent value that. 👍

Still want to see Rahm win it though.
Is Bryson accurate enough for this course?
Rough looks up & some deep bunkers.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
So who are we all fancying this wk?
Hard to look past Rory,but I’ll have a few quid on a couple of bigger priced players.
Didn’t Rory have a dominant win just before a major recently, then failing to make the cut? I think he is the favourite, but you won’t get much back for a pound but have a good chance of getting nothing at all. I hope he wins, but he wouldn’t be the one I bet on. For practical reasons.

D

Deleted member 15344

I like to see the traditions of the game upheld, so to me it will always be The Open. And I will be very disappointed if Martin Slumbers says anything other than 'With a score of Two Hundred and Seventy, the winner of the Gold Medal, and the Champion Golfer of the Year, is Jon Rahm'.

270 ? Do you think it’s going to be another low one there ? Course it’s a bit softer than normal , not sure what the weather is supposed to be from Thursday but don’t think it’s going to get too firm

Think it’s going to be around 13 under