The Open 2022

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a mixture of the East and West at Saunton would be a great course , Burnham around the turn and early back 9 just has a few meh holes - not played St Enodoc yet
Never understand the Meh holes. 6 is a great par 4 now, 8 is a great par 5. Nine is as good a par 3 as you’ll get. 7 & 10 I can understand

D

Deleted member 15344

Never understand the Meh holes. 6 is a great par 4 now, 8 is a great par 5. Nine is as good a par 3 as you’ll get. 7 & 10 I can understand

16 I wasn’t a fan of as well ( is that the blind one over the mound ? )

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In regards Trump, I think it's due to the way he would grandstand it. I think they (the R&A) believe he would want to be front and centre as he does with everything and I don't believe that is their style and won't go anywhere near him which in turn means unfortunately for Turnberry it will continue to be overlooked.

I'd hazard a guess that if he sold it, it would likely be on the rota within 5 years.

Trump has other things in his mind at present! Michael Cohen just gave evidence (hopefully truthful this time) to Congress. Lots was pretty damning of Trump, though I didn't detect anything 'fatal'. Trump, of course, retaliates via Twitter!

Not a great fan of RL as Open venue, though changing the order from 'normal' improves it immensely.

I'd sooner see Royal Aberdeen on the rota instead of Turnberry - would be a nice way to stick 2 fingers up to Trump!:D Can you tell I'm not a fan? :mad:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
16 I wasn’t a fan of as well ( is that the blind one over the mound ? )
No mate. 16 is the short par 4, but they’ve added another 20yds to that too as well now

When ya gonna come down? I don’t start my new job for 4 weeks, can do most days?!

D

Deleted member 15344

No mate. 16 is the short par 4, but they’ve added another 20yds to that too as well now

When ya gonna come down? I don’t start my new job for 4 weeks, can do most days?!
Which is the one that used to be really bad drainage at the bottom of the fairway. They were improving it when I was there last year

I got to find a day soon - March is pretty rammed though , I’ll find a day and send you a message !

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which is the one that used to be really bad drainage at the bottom of the fairway. They were improving it when I was there last year

I got to find a day soon - March is pretty rammed though , I’ll find a day and send you a message !
16 gets wet on the fairway

User20204

Visit site
Trump has other things in his mind at present! Michael Cohen just gave evidence (hopefully truthful this time) to Congress. Lots was pretty damning of Trump, though I didn't detect anything 'fatal'. Trump, of course, retaliates via Twitter!

Not a great fan of RL as Open venue, though changing the order from 'normal' improves it immensely.

I'd sooner see Royal Aberdeen on the rota instead of Turnberry - would be a nice way to stick 2 fingers up to Trump!:D Can you tell I'm not a fan? :mad:

Not sure what your post has in relation to mine and why the R&A won't give it to Turnberry but whatever I guess. :unsure:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a chance troon might get it in 2023 as it's the centenary of their first open 1923 and I hope they do as I've played a fair amount of golf in troon and it's a cracking wee town

D

Deleted member 17920

I believe the best thing going for Hoylake is that they can get loads of spectators in.

Not to say it’s not a good course, but I think this was one of the reasons for getting it back onto the rota and using It regularly.

Hoylake is a good course no doubt but I think it’s not as good as Wallasey next door or a few others along that coast that don’t get the open.

Hoylake however hosts the open superbly, I did go and watch it and the stands and that grandstand finish was really well done. The room they have is very very good.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There's a chance troon might get it in 2023 as it's the centenary of their first open 1923 and I hope they do as I've played a fair amount of golf in troon and it's a cracking wee town

Really enjoy RT.

A course that let's you think it's a walk over then you hit the back 9 and it beats 7 shades out of you into any sort of wind.

D

Deleted member 17920

Good shout that. Would be a nice touch if they got it for there own centenary.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hoylake is a good course no doubt but I think it’s not as good as Wallasey next door or a few others along that coast that don’t get the open.

Hoylake however hosts the open superbly, I did go and watch it and the stands and that grandstand finish was really well done. The room they have is very very good.

Shhhhhhhh, you'll upset those course raters with controversial views like that.

😂😂😂

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Really enjoy RT.

A course that let's you think it's a walk over then you hit the back 9 and it beats 7 shades out of you into any sort of wind.
Yeah played it in all sorts of weather, usually play it at least 5 times a year. The first 3 holes are pretty straight forward with not much going on but from 4 onwards it's as good a course as any open course. I only ever play it off the championship tees and it's a cracking course, I'd rather play it over turnberry everyday, back 9 is as tough a 9 youl play off the championship tees, prevailing wind is cross off the left for the majority of the back 9 apart from 12 which usually plays straight into it. The wind is also what makes the postage stamp so tough as it's the first hole you turn the opposite direction and all of a sudden your standing on top of a dune with a different wind direction but you also feel it a lot more as you're high up with no protection.

Homer

Visit site
I think a mixture of the East and West at Saunton would be a great course , Burnham around the turn and early back 9 just has a few meh holes - not played St Enodoc yet

Except nowhere near civilisation except if you own a tractor (which you probably do!!)

D

Deleted member 15344

Where? Not enough for that many people.
Bideford isn’t too far away and that’s the same level of population as say Troon more than say Girvan which is near Turnberry- could hold the Open as much as places like Troon and Turnberry - but I don’t expect the R&A to move away from the Traditional venues

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bideford isn’t too far away and that’s the same level of population as say Troon more than say Girvan which is near Turnberry- could hold the Open as much as places like Troon and Turnberry - but I don’t expect the R&A to move away from the Traditional venues
me neither. barnstaple is also 10mins away!