The Open 2022

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

The R&A have announced that Royal Liverpool will host the 2022 Open

So the next one after will show how the R&A view Trump because Turnberry you would expect to be next - so if they jump to Muirfield or go to Porthcawl then it speaks volumes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't believe the Open will go to Turnberry whilst Trump is President, little doubt of that. The interesting question is whether it goes there if Trump is not re-elected but Turnberry remains in his ownership. Personally I see no reason not to award it to Turnberry at that point.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm not sure what the issue is. Is it because Trump is an objectionable character or is it the fact he is the POTUS?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure what the issue is. Is it because Trump is an objectionable character or is it the fact he is the POTUS?
I think that is the key question. For me being President brings security risks, even if he does not go as it is making a statement. If he is no longer President and it is because of his character that would be a little disappointing. The quality of the course should over ride him as person and if needs be part of the deal to go there could include restrictions on his involvement, or lack of involvement. I can see that the R & A would not want him to hijack the occasion for his own publicity etc

D

Deleted member 15344

Both maybe ? He appears to be desperate for the Open to be at a course of his - he built one for it but with all the environmental issues etc during the building created a lot of negative press which will always put the R&A off.

Then buying Turnberry to try and buy the Open and it because it’s him and the way he would act about it all ( hi jacking it to make it about him ) makes me believe they won’t go near a course of his. Just look at how he acts on Twitter and then all the stuff about how he has acted around ladies . It is a shame because Turnberry is a great course but whilst he owns it I don’t see them going near the place - they made their point clear about Muirfield with their vote on Lady members and I think they are silently making their point about him.

D

Deleted member 21258

I don't believe the Open will go to Turnberry whilst Trump is President, little doubt of that. The interesting question is whether it goes there if Trump is not re-elected but Turnberry remains in his ownership. Personally I see no reason not to award it to Turnberry at that point.

Will be interesting to see, I think that they will miss it out either way round, as the title 'Trump' Turnberry could bring a lot of bad publicity due to his connection and they will not wish to have that bad publicity with their flagship event.

Bit like the Muirfield situation and not having lady members at one stage bringing bad publicity.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its a shame he insists on having his name emblazoned on any course he owns, which is always going to detract from the course itself.

shame as the Aberdeen course would make a great venue, though no idea where spectators would stand on many holes.

Turnberry is a great shame as the changes are pretty good, but with Portrush being added and maybe Portcawl in future, maybe too many open course now on the list anyway???

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't see any issue about it being at Turnberry, even if it does have Trump's name at the front. Personally I just think it should go to the best venues it can and if that's Turnberry then such is life.

As for Royal Porthcawl, now I've never been there, heard good things about it though. Is it a big enough course (physically, not in stature) to hold an Open?

D

Deleted member 21258

I don't see any issue about it being at Turnberry, even if it does have Trump's name at the front. Personally I just think it should go to the best venues it can and if that's Turnberry then such is life.

As for Royal Porthcawl, now I've never been there, heard good things about it though. Is it a big enough course (physically, not in stature) to hold an Open?

Only played it once, and in many areas it certainly was but some areas were fairly compact but probably better course size than somewhere like TOC. The practise range looked big but not sure how much of the surrounding land they own.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes I think Porthcawl is big enough to host an Open. The only change required is to move the holes by 1 in sequence so that they start on 18 and finish on 17 which gives more room for the grandstands, this worked well for the Seniors Opens.

D

Deleted member 15344

not good news for Lytham, has it held its last open?

Lytham I suspect will hold the next one because they had tbe ladies one last year possibly - don’t see why they wouldn’t go back there.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lytham I suspect will hold the next one because they had tbe ladies one last year possibly - don’t see why they wouldn’t go back there.

It just seemed to me that Lytham was due before Liverpool and had been overlooked, I thought there were worries about its ability to host it these days

User20204

Visit site
In regards Trump, I think it's due to the way he would grandstand it. I think they (the R&A) believe he would want to be front and centre as he does with everything and I don't believe that is their style and won't go anywhere near him which in turn means unfortunately for Turnberry it will continue to be overlooked.

I'd hazard a guess that if he sold it, it would likely be on the rota within 5 years.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe the best thing going for Hoylake is that they can get loads of spectators in.

Not to say it’s not a good course, but I think this was one of the reasons for getting it back onto the rota and using It regularly.

This certainly smacks of avoiding Trump and Turnberry. Turnberry is well overdue, but avoiding 2022... they could easily go;
2023 Muirfield
2024 Lytham
2025 St. Andrews

You don’t know the conversations that take place and you’d imagine there is some dialogue between Turnberry and the R&A (even if it’s only in the direction of the R&A). Who knows if they are simply avoiding a president as host or will continue to avoid him in the hope the venue falls into less contentious hands.