The Open 2020 - Open For The Ages

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For something that had the benefit of the full Sky hype it was very poor. The concept was an interesting one but the outcome was mediocre at best and let down poorly by the commentary. I'd rather watch a re-run of a previous open as Sky often show especially something like the Stenson v Mickleson or the famous original duel in the sun

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Despite really looking forward to this, can't help thinking they missed something. Even with all the big names, it felt like I was watching low week on the PGA where everyone stayed at home, it would probably just play in the background. I have no idea what the vote criteria was, but it seems more like a "who is your favourite player of all time" kind of question, the winning leader board just reflecting the poll result. Maybe it would have been better if they had taken all the players and based the results on their 4 best rounds at St Andrews i.e. day 1 was their 4th best ever round there, day 2 was 3rd best etc. That may have thrown up a completely different leader board at the end, but at least would have a result based on real rounds, not just who got voted most between Jack or Tiger. In the end it was a bit disappointing.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
It was blooming pointless really. It was always going to be Jack v Tiger at the end because they are the icons of each generation that was represented there.

Turgid, predictable and lacklustre

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
watched about the 1st hour of this yesterday and got the rest recorded.

Think they did about as well as they could do, but for me was too bitty and didn't flow much at all. I certainly wasn't watching it with baited breath waiting for the next birdie to go in.

Also I do know the result now - but personally reckon all things being equal, there's a 5 times Open Champion who is the best Open Champion of the past century. And he proved that by being 1 stroke away from winning the thing at age 59.