Irish Open 2020 - Mount Juliet

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So it has just been announced that the Irish Open in 2020 will be held at Mount Juliet.

I thought this would be coming with the change of dates but I am still disappointed they have moved away from Links courses. This can only have a detrimental effect on the competition with the schedule change and course change.

This isn't to say that Mount Juliet is not a great course, but I feel that the Irish Open was perfectly positioned before The Open to attract the big names. Will be interesting to see who comes next year

D

Deleted member 17920

Last time it was at Mount Juliet it was a complete sell out.

Think they will still get a quality field for it.

I think they may get a few extra names as some Americans don't like playing on links.

D

Deleted member 21258

Looking on Wiki, says last held in 1995 and been 10 years since held at a non links course I think(if I am reading it correctly).

Certainly be interesting to see what the field ends up coming. That said a venue like Loch Lomond never had a problem attracting fields

Lovely course/hotel, got to be good news for MJ.

D

Deleted member 1147

Looking on Wiki, says last held in 1995 and been 10 years since held at a non links course I think(if I am reading it correctly).

Certainly be interesting to see what the field ends up coming. That said a venue like Loch Lomond never had a problem attracting fields

K Club 2016

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the change in the schedule will hurt the the Irish open. Its still a Rolex event so will attract a strong European tour field, but I doubt many Americans will come over for just one week and then fly back. Especially with the Memorial the week after. Hopefully it is for just the one year since it is the Olympics next year, and that it moves back to in front of the Scottish in the run up to the Open. Otherwise I can see it going the same way as the Frech Open and dropping of the Rolex series.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, it is a great course and there are other great parkland venues in Ireland. But I always found it fitting for it to be at a links course.

I hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect as they have worked hard to get it where it is now.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Scottish Open moved from Loch Lomond mainly due to feedback and "big" players opting to go to Ireland/Scotland for links practice instead of supporting the Scottish Open.

Links practice and especially competitive links practice before The Open is probably a good thing for professionals.

D

Deleted member 21258

Scottish Open moved from Loch Lomond mainly due to feedback and "big" players opting to go to Ireland/Scotland for links practice instead of supporting the Scottish Open.

Links practice and especially competitive links practice before The Open is probably a good thing for professionals.

Certainly makes sense you would have thought as LL is miles away from playing a fast and firm links course, even more so as LL got into difficulties at the time and the change of ownership, it would have been perfect timing.

Doesn't seem to have particularly to have strengthen the field, when the change happened (2010 looks like a stronger field at LL than 2011 and from the quick glance maybe stronger than 2012 & 2013 as well, certainly not many USA players):-

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/barclays-scottish-open-2010/results?round=4

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/barclays-scottish-open-2011/results?round=3

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/aberdeen-asset-management-scottish-open-2012/results?round=4

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/aberdeen-asset-management-scottish-open-2013/results?round=4

Not what I was expecting to see:unsure: Will be really interesting to see if the change to MJ parkland has any change from the previous links fields at the irish open, field, sponsorship and public attendance wise.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think from a commercial point of view - Ireland only has so many links courses and they are unlikely to be able to build many more. These are already commercially successful / viable with locals and tourists.

Obviously hosting an Irish Open brings with it a fair amount of publicity and any course is likely to get a bump in revenue after being showcased like this. So I'd imagine some non-Links venues are happy to take on some financial risk in order to promote their course that in reality there is probably not the same need for the likes of Lahinch, RCD, Portrush to take on.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think from a commercial point of view - Ireland only has so many links courses and they are unlikely to be able to build many more. These are already commercially successful / viable with locals and tourists.

Obviously hosting an Irish Open brings with it a fair amount of publicity and any course is likely to get a bump in revenue after being showcased like this. So I'd imagine some non-Links venues are happy to take on some financial risk in order to promote their course that in reality there is probably not the same need for the likes of Lahinch, RCD, Portrush to take on.

Irish golf fans are the most "loyal" (no pun intended if you get upset by religion) in Europe, the crowds they generate year on year for the Irish Open and this year's Open are incredible. They do their country proud how they turn out in numbers and support the events.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So it has just been announced that the Irish Open in 2020 will be held at Mount Juliet.

I thought this would be coming with the change of dates but I am still disappointed they have moved away from Links courses. This can only have a detrimental effect on the competition with the schedule change and course change.

This isn't to say that Mount Juliet is not a great course, but I feel that the Irish Open was perfectly positioned before The Open to attract the big names. Will be interesting to see who comes next year
agree we get so few chances of seing links golf on TV apart from the Open, Dunhill and SO, it will be a great shame to miss another one as i enjoy seeing courses unfamilier to me... But Also i was under the impression they switched between parkland and links each year?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Have played here, lovely course. Arrived the night before (big group), plenty of alcohol, little sleep, arrived a few minutes late for my tee time. Starter asked us to get a wriggle on - literally took club out of the bag, took a swing and striped one down the middle (could have went anywhere). Rest of the shots weren't anywhere near as good. Really enjoyed it, wasn't an easy course (played much better day 2!).

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
agree we get so few chances of seing links golf on TV apart from the Open, Dunhill and SO, it will be a great shame to miss another one as i enjoy seeing courses unfamilier to me... But Also i was under the impression they switched between parkland and links each year?

I believe it used to rotate and then when Rory came onboard to enhance the event they decided it should be played at a links course each year and also amend the timing to before the Open. Although he did want to change it with the Scottish.

It was scheduled to be played at Lough Erne one year (2017) but was rescheduled to be played at Portstewart as they wanted it on a links course and stated they had implemented a 'traditional links course strategy'. Obviously didn't last long.

I really do hope this doesn't have a detrimental effect on the competition. I do believe spectator wise it will still be a success but it would be great to have the same quality of players attending.