The Open 2020 - Open For The Ages

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Surprised there's not already a thread up for this. An interesting concept from the R&A in conjunction with SKY, HSBC and NTT Data. With The Open cancelled this year, they have edited This years Open together using 50 years of archive film footage, with all the greats playing against each other at St Andrews, the winner apparently chosen by vote.

https://www.theopen.com/The-Open-For-The-Ages

They have Nick Dougherty, Ewan Murray and Iona Stephen doing the commentary

They are playing highlights of the first three rounds on the The Open social media, including Youtube. Finishing with a 3 hour final round on Sunday afternoon. I quite like the idea and am looking forward to seeing how it works.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was hearing about it on the Rick shiels podcast this morning

Sounds brilliant I shall be tuning in.

I like the idea that the pundits provided live commentary by watching it as we would without knowing the result so nobody really knows what to expect

To us the viewer it will be the nearest to seeing the open live this than we have

Tbh it beats a rerun aswell!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I really like the sound of this. Not so sure about the data modelled vote to choose a winner aspect of it, but overall it's a great idea.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Bubba Watson wins by 12 shots from Cameron Chsmp. Woods, Nicklaus, Watson, player, Palmer etc all miss the cut after having a big night at the jigger inn on the Thursday

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That was excellent

Well put together

Ignore the quality of video difference it was almost like watching it live

Well played the open

Much better than an old re run

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I hope they don’t try that again. Watching players who won round different courses in different eras with some pretty boring commentary is a snooze fest for me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m sticking to my assertion that it was a complete and utter waste of time and probably only appealed to some who are just plain ........... boring

And now I know why you enjoyed it so much.

Or people who appreciate new things? Change? Embrace something difference to just the same old repeats

It was 3 hours rather than dragging out

It filled time before the golf started live

Well done the open for arranging that

Or can just live in past and watch a re run of an old event we all know the result of

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was looking forward to it and it still is an interesting idea to me but that was shockingly dull in execution. The commentary sucked all joy out of it and once I’d put it on mute and played ”guess the hole“ for 10 minutes I lost interest.

Helps confirm that there is something magic in live sport as you can’t manufacture sporting drama out of thin air, or even out of years of historic footage stuck together like it’s been through an editors chop shop.