The Open 2019 Royal Portrush

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17920

Wow,

A complete sell out for all 4 tournament days.

Only practise day tickets available.

Well done to the Irish who have really embraced the event :clap:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
That is fantastic to see. The course is sensational and I am sure the Open will be brilliant in 2019.

Pity that I haven’t bagged any tickets for it.

D

Deleted member 1147

I was hoping to go, but couldn't find any accommodation anywhere nearby, so didn't buy tickets.

A friend of mine has tickets, but has nowhere to stay - maybe looking to sell them back to the R&A, if they're giving refunds (I'm not sure?)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm sure the R&A (Ireland branch) will put on a fantastic show :thup:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Wonderful golf course and an amazing clubhouse full of history.

The Irish have always supported their golf tournaments, the Irish Open always gets tremendous numbers for it. Good for them.

D

Deleted member 17920

To be fair we can be both. The generalisation that we are all Irish is deeply offensive to some.
Ah right, I get you now.

Well done to the people who have bought a ticket who have really embraced the event ;)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was hoping to go, but couldn't find any accommodation anywhere nearby, so didn't buy tickets.

A friend of mine has tickets, but has nowhere to stay - maybe looking to sell them back to the R&A, if they're giving refunds (I'm not sure?)

How far away from Portrush did you consider?

Anywhere in and around Belfast wouldn't take that long to get to - about an hour and a half and I would assume they will have park and rides from quite a distance away. The train also runs from Belfast to Portrush.

Camping is always an option!

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm too late now anyway, but we did look at Belfast - It's pretty much booked up or cost a small fortune

I'll just have a year off, and save up for RSG in 2020

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm sure this will be a great event. Golf in NI has been very much on the up since they produced 3 major champions in the space of 12 months and the crowds at the Irish Open (on both sides of the border) have been stellar for the past few years.

Interesting to see if this comes back to Portrush again. At the time of the announcement, I'm sure it was mentioned that this would be a one off to see how it went. Logistics, transport and space around the property being the main challenges.

I'm sure the golf and the fans will be great, but where there's a will there's a way and it could be a regular event every 10 or 11 years. Effectively replacing Turnberry in the rotation.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm sure this will be a great event. Golf in NI has been very much on the up since they produced 3 major champions in the space of 12 months and the crowds at the Irish Open (on both sides of the border) have been stellar for the past few years.

Interesting to see if this comes back to Portrush again. At the time of the announcement, I'm sure it was mentioned that this would be a one off to see how it went. Logistics, transport and space around the property being the main challenges.

I'm sure the golf and the fans will be great, but where there's a will there's a way and it could be a regular event every 10 or 11 years. Effectively replacing Turnberry in the rotation.

Turnberry won't get dropped it's one of the best courses on the rota. Trump has actually improved the course considerably.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Turnberry won't get dropped it's one of the best courses on the rota. Trump has actually improved the course considerably.

It's not officially dropped, but they haven't hosted since 2009 and venues are now set until 2021. I believe 2022 is likely to be Muirfield. So would be at least 14 years for a 2023 venue.

Most venues are used every 10 or 11 years, other than St. Andrews every 5.

I would be surprised if they announced Turnberry as a venue while Trump is president.

D

Deleted member 15344

The course has improved but whilst it’s not official I suspect the R&A won’t award the Open to Turnberry whilst Trump owns it - they have had enough bad press over the years especially with Muirfield so I think they are want to avoid any association with him - Trump was hoping that Aberdeen would be an Open venue - that won’t happen so his next step was to buy one and that also won’t happen. It’s a shame as it’s a quality course but needs Trump to leave imo for the Open to go back there

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/07/1...t-intl/index.html?r=https://www.google.co.uk/