The Open 2018

D

Deleted member 1740

Look back at the Not shouting Fore threads - I'm the first to say that spectators should shoulder more responsibility and in this situation there's no doubt that the crowd have IQs in single figures.
But, ultimately, it's the responsibility of the player to ensure his shot doesn't endanger other players or spectators. Isn't it..?

As an experienced golfer i'm surprised this is your stance.

IMO, Tiger and all the other 155 competotors are there to play the shots they see fit. Its upto the Marshalls to make sure theyre safe but equally the spectators have a huge responsibility too.

Health and safety applies to us all.

D

Deleted member 1740

Saw it live, it’s 100% Tiger trolling. The result was not the trajectory he was playing for from the ball position high above his feet, it came out low and right.

The marshalls were useless.

Exactly how i saw it, though GM's article is a bit misleading to say the least yet most people who blaming Tiger never watched it live

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As an experienced golfer i'm surprised this is your stance.

IMO, Tiger and all the other 155 competotors are there to play the shots they see fit. Its upto the Marshalls to make sure theyre safe but equally the spectators have a huge responsibility too.

Health and safety applies to us all.

So......when you're playing golf are you saying that you would play onto a green when other players/greenkeepers are still on there?
Stu, if people, whatever the reason, are in your way, on your line or near it surely you don't hit the ball until they are moved..or am I missing something.?
The marshalling was poor - no argument. But you can't hit a shot with people on your line of play

Look at Tigers stance, line of swing, where he's looking....the clip from behind shows him looking directly at the TV crane in the distance - straight over the crowd. The clip from the front - I assume from that TV crane - shows him looking, aiming and swinging directly over the crowd...

If I'd seen any player playing that shot of be saying the same thing. I'm not a Tiger hater - not a lover either.
I just think he was in the wrong .

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you look at the number of posts yesterday when the golf was on hardly anyone posted about the golf being played.Actually one of the best rounds in an open was played by Tommy Fleetwood but not a mention.
TW does something and sometime who moans about TW all the time puts a link up and all hell breaks loose.

I'm with Smiffy on common sense stand close at your peril.

D

Deleted member 16999

So......when you're playing golf are you saying that you would play onto a green when other players/greenkeepers are still on there?
Stu, if people, whatever the reason, are in your way, on your line or near it surely you don't hit the ball until they are moved..or am I missing something.?
The marshalling was poor - no argument. But you can't hit a shot with people on your line of play

Look at Tigers stance, line of swing, where he's looking....the clip from behind shows him looking directly at the TV crane in the distance - straight over the crowd. The clip from the front - I assume from that TV crane - shows him looking, aiming and swinging directly over the crowd...

If I'd seen any player playing that shot of be saying the same thing. I'm not a Tiger hater - not a lover either.
I just think he was in the wrong .
Big difference between any of us on a golf course and the best in the world.

How many times do you see top players playing blind shots over crowds or out of trees with spectators close by or the 18th tee shot at Augusta were the crowds line either side of the tee, who’s to blame if a pro shanks one in to the crowd?

Spectators know the risk and try and get close.

Tiger was not expecting that shot to come out the way it did.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a good (and long) day at the Open. Self indulgent post - here is my day at the Open.

Up at 4am and drove through myself from Glasgow. Didn't even see if anyone else wanted to come as I would be very happy doing my own thing and trying to see as much of the players I wanted to see.

Was on site about 0645 and on course just after 7.

Waited for the Westwood group to tee off at 0719 and then walked up with them. Unfortunately he was playing with Kelly Kraft and Michael Hendry - two guys I wasn't that bothered about seeing. But I knew this would keep the crowd relatively low.

Westy left a decent opportunity at the 1st well short. But got his 4. Then at the 2nd he missed the green front left and left his chip well short - 2 putting for bogey. At the 3rd, 4th and 5th he gave himself chances - but again couldn't convert. And by that time I'd had enough. I saw that Tommy Fleetwood was under par and decided to wait at the 5th green for his group (Stenson and Walker also playing).

Tommy holed a beauty on 5 for birdie and so I stuck with that for a while. He made 2 putt pars on 6 & 7 and then he found another 15 footer to save par on par 3 8th (which got the crowd right into it). Then he rolled in a long putt at 9 for birdie and just missed a 15 / 20 footer at the 10th.

I then needed the toilet and a coffee, so decided to do that and wait at the 10th green. The next group was Fitzpatrick / Henley / Rebula (none of whom were under par) so watched them on the 10th and then the McIlroy group came through (also playing with Olesson and Leishman.

McIlroy was in position down the middle and the last to hit in. He hit a beauty into pin high left and poured the putt right in. Which obviously got the crowd going.

I went down the 11th to see the balls landing (all lay ups short of bunkers) and then they all missed birdie putts.

I did the same at the 12th, where McIlroy hit a poor long putt from off the from right (to a back left pin) and made bogey.

At that point they were going back to the par 3 13th which I was on the wrong side of the 12th to get to. It was massively busy at this point as there are a lot of tees & greens close together and it was obviously not early morning any more. So I decided to miss the 13th and try and get down to the 14th green.

Unfortunately another toilet stop left me on the wrong side of the 14th fairway and by the time I got across, there was no chance of seeing anything at the 14th. I saw that Westwood had got his round back on track with an eagle at 14 so I elected to skip ahead and try and pick him up around the 16th. Ended up I saw him on the 17th fairway, where he was level par for the championship.

Sadly he bogeyed 17 & 18. But I was well placed at the 18th on the left hand side, with a clear view of the green. So I waited there and saw the Fitzpatrick group finish. Then Tommy who hit 3 perfect shots to birdie 18 and take a share of the lead at -5!

Rory next, who gave himself a great chance to share the lead as well, but sadly didn't make his putt.

The weather had been ranging from drizzle to rain all day at this point (around 1235) so I went back to the spectator village and got some food and tried to dry out a bit.

About 1:45 I headed back out to try and catch a glimpse of Tiger. I'm not a massive Tiger fan, but he's obviously a big draw and decided to see what I could of him (also playing with Russell Knox). Couldn't get near the 13th green (par 3) and so went up ahead to the 14th. Saw the Garcia group and managed to get in position to see the green (about 3 from the front). Just before they got onto the green, the rain stopped and the brolleys came down.

Saw Matsuyama make eagle and then Knox and Tiger with tap in birdies. Again skipped the 15th and went to 16 green. Saw Garcia make an absolute horlicks of it and basically play himself out of making the cut. Then again saw the Tiger group come through.

Matsuyama hit a great shot right over the hole & made 2. Knox and Woods both in the front right bunker - Woods left his short and Knox played a much better shot. Tiger 2 putt bogey and Knox made his.

It was now close to 3pm and the weather much better. I decided to leave the Tiger bandwagon and picked up the Rose / Spieth group on the 1st green. I followed them round until the 7th tee and saw Rose miss a succession of putts for birdie and 1 for par. I saw Spieth hole a chip from the back of the 3rd green - which was just a brutal position, down hill lie and not a lot of green to work with. Very ominous display from him.

At the 6th green, with Rose missing another birdie putt - I decided my weary legs and taken me round enough of the course. I went back to the spectator village, where a sun drenched crowd were taking very little interest in the golf (which was displayed on big screens). I waited to see Kisner finish, as he was threatening to take a 2 shot lead into the weekend.

Saw him on the big screen take on a risky shot from the rough on 18 where he found the burn and made double bogey. At 6pm I headed out of the course and back onto the shuttle bus to the car park. I had covered 23km of Carnoustie and seen pretty much all of the course other than 13 and 15.

Yes - the rain was a bummer, but in reality it kept the crowds a bit lower and I would have had almost zero chance of seeing much of McIlroy otherwise, and maybe not as much of Fleetwood.

Also - as an experience, this was great. Especially seeing Fleetwood make 3 of his 6 birdies (and a save on 8).

But as a spectator sport, golf is very difficult. Many greens are elevated and have very poor vantage points and at some holes the rope was at the top of a hill, meaning only really one person at the rope could get a clear view.

And filtering in and out of stands is not possible if you want to follow a group round. Big banks (such as the one around the 1st green) is what is required.

The ideal scenario is that someone you are a big fan of (who is not a massive draw) is out early and you can probably follow them for the front 9 ok. But at the weekend, with fewer groups (and many of them out of contention) it would be very difficult to see much of the important golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wow - a little Article from GM and people bringing peoples personal lives into question , I don’t think you could get anymore pathetic -some people need to have a hard look at themselves , and also accusations of trolling - I guess you’re aiming that at GM then

As for the incident, crowd need to take responsibility, the Marshalls and also the player - someone could have been hurt badly

Marshall should have ensured the crowd were as back as possible , the player shouldn’t have taken the shot until the crowd were at a safe place

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Wow - a little Article from GM and people bringing peoples personal lives into question , I don’t think you could get anymore pathetic -some people need to have a hard look at themselves , and also accusations of trolling - I guess you’re aiming that at GM then

As for the incident, crowd need to take responsibility, the Marshalls and also the player - someone could have been hurt badly

Marshall should have ensured the crowd were as back as possible , the player shouldn’t have taken the shot until the crowd were at a safe place

I think it’s the way that you get all excited & cant wait to post anything negative towards Tiger 👍🏻

Did you do the same when Rory hit the women’s hand?

How can you constantly complain about the attention Tiger gets when you give him so much yourself?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a good (and long) day at the Open. Self indulgent post - here is my day at the Open.

Up at 4am and drove through myself from Glasgow. Didn't even see if anyone else wanted to come as I would be very happy doing my own thing and trying to see as much of the players I wanted to see.

Was on site about 0645 and on course just after 7.

Waited for the Westwood group to tee off at 0719 and then walked up with them. Unfortunately he was playing with Kelly Kraft and Michael Hendry - two guys I wasn't that bothered about seeing. But I knew this would keep the crowd relatively low.

Westy left a decent opportunity at the 1st well short. But got his 4. Then at the 2nd he missed the green front left and left his chip well short - 2 putting for bogey. At the 3rd, 4th and 5th he gave himself chances - but again couldn't convert. And by that time I'd had enough. I saw that Tommy Fleetwood was under par and decided to wait at the 5th green for his group (Stenson and Walker also playing).

Tommy holed a beauty on 5 for birdie and so I stuck with that for a while. He made 2 putt pars on 6 & 7 and then he found another 15 footer to save par on par 3 8th (which got the crowd right into it). Then he rolled in a long putt at 9 for birdie and just missed a 15 / 20 footer at the 10th.

I then needed the toilet and a coffee, so decided to do that and wait at the 10th green. The next group was Fitzpatrick / Henley / Rebula (none of whom were under par) so watched them on the 10th and then the McIlroy group came through (also playing with Olesson and Leishman.

McIlroy was in position down the middle and the last to hit in. He hit a beauty into pin high left and poured the putt right in. Which obviously got the crowd going.

I went down the 11th to see the balls landing (all lay ups short of bunkers) and then they all missed birdie putts.

I did the same at the 12th, where McIlroy hit a poor long putt from off the from right (to a back left pin) and made bogey.

At that point they were going back to the par 3 13th which I was on the wrong side of the 12th to get to. It was massively busy at this point as there are a lot of tees & greens close together and it was obviously not early morning any more. So I decided to miss the 13th and try and get down to the 14th green.

Unfortunately another toilet stop left me on the wrong side of the 14th fairway and by the time I got across, there was no chance of seeing anything at the 14th. I saw that Westwood had got his round back on track with an eagle at 14 so I elected to skip ahead and try and pick him up around the 16th. Ended up I saw him on the 17th fairway, where he was level par for the championship.

Sadly he bogeyed 17 & 18. But I was well placed at the 18th on the left hand side, with a clear view of the green. So I waited there and saw the Fitzpatrick group finish. Then Tommy who hit 3 perfect shots to birdie 18 and take a share of the lead at -5!

Rory next, who gave himself a great chance to share the lead as well, but sadly didn't make his putt.

The weather had been ranging from drizzle to rain all day at this point (around 1235) so I went back to the spectator village and got some food and tried to dry out a bit.

About 1:45 I headed back out to try and catch a glimpse of Tiger. I'm not a massive Tiger fan, but he's obviously a big draw and decided to see what I could of him (also playing with Russell Knox). Couldn't get near the 13th green (par 3) and so went up ahead to the 14th. Saw the Garcia group and managed to get in position to see the green (about 3 from the front). Just before they got onto the green, the rain stopped and the brolleys came down.

Saw Matsuyama make eagle and then Knox and Tiger with tap in birdies. Again skipped the 15th and went to 16 green. Saw Garcia make an absolute horlicks of it and basically play himself out of making the cut. Then again saw the Tiger group come through.

Matsuyama hit a great shot right over the hole & made 2. Knox and Woods both in the front right bunker - Woods left his short and Knox played a much better shot. Tiger 2 putt bogey and Knox made his.

It was now close to 3pm and the weather much better. I decided to leave the Tiger bandwagon and picked up the Rose / Spieth group on the 1st green. I followed them round until the 7th tee and saw Rose miss a succession of putts for birdie and 1 for par. I saw Spieth hole a chip from the back of the 3rd green - which was just a brutal position, down hill lie and not a lot of green to work with. Very ominous display from him.

At the 6th green, with Rose missing another birdie putt - I decided my weary legs and taken me round enough of the course. I went back to the spectator village, where a sun drenched crowd were taking very little interest in the golf (which was displayed on big screens). I waited to see Kisner finish, as he was threatening to take a 2 shot lead into the weekend.

Saw him on the big screen take on a risky shot from the rough on 18 where he found the burn and made double bogey. At 6pm I headed out of the course and back onto the shuttle bus to the car park. I had covered 23km of Carnoustie and seen pretty much all of the course other than 13 and 15.

Yes - the rain was a bummer, but in reality it kept the crowds a bit lower and I would have had almost zero chance of seeing much of McIlroy otherwise, and maybe not as much of Fleetwood.

Also - as an experience, this was great. Especially seeing Fleetwood make 3 of his 6 birdies (and a save on 8).

But as a spectator sport, golf is very difficult. Many greens are elevated and have very poor vantage points and at some holes the rope was at the top of a hill, meaning only really one person at the rope could get a clear view.

And filtering in and out of stands is not possible if you want to follow a group round. Big banks (such as the one around the 1st green) is what is required.

The ideal scenario is that someone you are a big fan of (who is not a massive draw) is out early and you can probably follow them for the front 9 ok. But at the weekend, with fewer groups (and many of them out of contention) it would be very difficult to see much of the important golf.

Good read mate. Glad you had a good day.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The best thing about the Open has been the burnt out fairway. If the Open with all its resources cant keep it green what chance do i have with my garden. Very quick end to the argument with the Mrs who thinks I am too lazy to carry a watering can around.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think it’s the way that you get all excited & cant wait to post anything negative towards Tiger 

Did you do the same when Rory hit the women’s hand?

How can you constantly complain about the attention Tiger gets when you give him so much yourself?

Well said.....

D

Deleted member 15344

Well said.....

Couldn’t get anymore confirmation than that

It doesn’t matter what people say on the forum in regards there opinion and people of course can disagree but it should never get to the stage someone’s personal life should be challenged no matter what’s said - and if you think it’s justified then that says a lot about you

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Couldn’t get anymore confirmation than that

It doesn’t matter what people say on the forum in regards there opinion and people of course can disagree but it should never get to the stage someone’s personal life should be challenged no matter what’s said - and if you think it’s justified then that says a lot about you

Did I challenge anyone's personal life ?

Can you explain ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Did I challenge anyone's personal life ?

Can you explain ?

I didn’t say you did - other people have and the post you agree with is suggesting that it’s my fault because I brought Woods into the discussion ( despite someone mentioning him 3 posts before me )

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I didn’t say you did - other people have and the post you agree with is suggesting that it’s my fault because I brought Woods into the discussion ( despite someone mentioning him 3 posts before me )

Oh I see......

To be fair you do seem to talk about him a lot and it’s not all good