The naughty step

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of what I replace gets sold on eBay. The only clubs in the cupboard are 5 & 6 iron, Ping G 3 wood which I tried to sell and couldn't before lockdown, and a 24-year-old Big Bertha 3 iron. I only replace something in the big if I don't have confidence with it, and if I don't have confidence with it it's not really worth keeping because it won't be going back in any time soon.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fixed bag and rarely upgrade. Was planning a new set of irons for this summer - replacing my current ones purchased in 2007. But now not sure I'll go ahead with that. Putter was bought about four years ago replacing in the bag one bought in 1985. No point spending my limited 'spare' cash on new golf stuff if my current sticks are doing their job to their bestest, given the inconsistencies and vagaries of my golf swing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fixed bag here pretty much. Do have 16 clubs though so switch in and out options and the long end of the bag a fair bit.

Only "spares" I have are my old wedges which are identical spec to the new ones and get used if Im spending an hour or two on the practise short game green to reduce the wear on the newer ones a little

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No naughty step for me but the wedges get swapped around quite bit seems a shame to have so many wedges and not use them.

sunshine

Visit site
I have a squad. It's a long season and I like the option of being able to tinker with the line up in the bag depending on time of year, type of course I'm playing, what my swing feels like. 5 wood and 2 hybrid go the same distance but different ball flights so I only have one in the bag, I'll swap out the 3 iron for an extra hybrid in winter, etc, etc. I'm not swapping like for like.

Don't see the need of having the same club multiple times e.g. more than one driver. Exception to this is the putter - it's all about feel and I understand why some have a naughty step.

Soon Harry Redknapp will be along to post that he's down to the bare bones.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really only 2 variations.

I use a lighter weight putter in the summer when the greens are quicker and a heavier DB version in winter when they are slower. Trying not to have to slam the lighter one in winter and loose my putting stroke. We have quite large greens!

The other concerns long irons / hybrids and weather. If it's windy I tend to stick with long irons and dump one or both hybrids, If it's wet and calm both hybrids get an outing due to carry, if it's fast and running tend to play my longer hybrid and a 4 iron to give good gapping.

Horses for courses really - it isn't the clubs fault if I hit a crap shot!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can’t afford a naughty step, not bought a club since 2013 when I replaced worn out wedges and bought a driver when I needed to move away from my fixed draw biased driver.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Fixed bag, other than adding/removing wedges based on courses and conditions I’m playing.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I put a putter on the BBQ once because it hadn't learned its lesson despite having been warned several times. It went away for a couple of weeks and was allowed back out. 38 putts in a round of 74 and it was deposited into the middle of the lake next to the 18th green at Pyrford where it currently resides with a few carp and lots of balls. And it can stay there too!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've only ever had 2 sets of clubs, I think the first was a set of Hippo's which I got when about 16 which ended up getting stolen. They werent replaced for a number of years until I bought the set I have now. Extra wedges have been added, the one which got taken out is still in the garage but wouldn't be used again.