The Moorside

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was very good. I watched a documentary on this years ago where a few cops were interviewed along with a couple of Karen Matthews neighbours and what was portrayed last night is exactly as I remember. Part 2 dealing with the aftermath will be very interesting.

Agree about Sheridan Smith, fantastic actress.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I can't watch some programmes like this, more so the real life, actually happened ones that involve children, they just make me angry & sad.

This is because my wife and I have undergone many IVF attempts and went through so many emotional roller coasters during those times that crimes by parents against their own children is the most heinous crime on the planet in our opinion as they don't know how lucky they are!

Scumbags doesn't even come close!

Sheridan Smith is excellent though.

I've also read that Karen Mathews now lives under a new identity, who paid for all that and why, why should she get a new life and start with no history!

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Totally agree Fish. Makes me sick when I see parents mistreating their children when so many are unable to have their own.
My wife and I have just had a child through ivf and emotional roller coaster is spot on.

D

Deleted member 15344

I can't watch some programmes like this, more so the real life, actually happened ones that involve children, they just make me angry & sad.

This is because my wife and I have undergone many IVF attempts and went through so many emotional roller coasters during those times that crimes by parents against their own children is the most heinous crime on the planet in our opinion as they don't know how lucky they are!

Scumbags doesn't even come close!

Sheridan Smith is excellent though.

I've also read that Karen Mathews now lives under a new identity, who paid for all that and why, why should she get a new life and start with no history!

Very sorry to hear about your IVF issues

It is very annoying when you see and hear people that mistreat their own children - I can't even comprehend giving nothing but love to my own child

I have the program on record and will watch it later

Being given a new identity is a tough one because you are right why should be able to start over again ( hope she isn't allowed children and is working to pay for her life ) but I also wouldn't want to see someone get punished for causing harm to her

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A huge fan of Sheridan Smith who I think is one of our best character actresses on TV. A tough subject matter and remember watching a documentary about it all some time ago and this seems to have stuck relatively closely to the actual facts which is perhaps why it's such uncomfy viewing. Well made drama

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe she wasn't given a new identity after release from prison.

Quite right she still is Karen Mathews, she is trying to say that their are others involved that have not been caught.
Having worked for a children's charity for the past 16yrs I have seen the results of neglect and abuse first hand so nothing surprises me anymore.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Ok, maybe not a new identity per se, but I've read only recently that she now lives elsewhere under a new name, I think you can change your name quite easily but it will be associated when searching to the original name, which is obviously different to having a new identity.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Watched the first part last night. Two thoughts

1. Outstanding acting and impressive writing.
2. What a stunning example of broken Britain - chav families with multiple kids by multiple fathers spending our taxes on benefits for cigarettes and dossing around.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just what is the point of this programme at all?? we all know what happened its not a good thing so why dredge it up?? It just appears the BBC cant get any good writers with imagination any more...They find a good idea then run it into the ground, but Moorside is not a good idea.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Caught a bit of it when HID was watching. Thought the actress who played Karen was brutal. Awful acting.

She's a good actress Gaz, ask anyone who watches game of thrones. I think the character she plays doesn't help, bearing in mind Karen Matthews did a lot of acting herself at that time when pretending her kid was missing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
She's a good actress Gaz, ask anyone who watches game of thrones. I think the character she plays doesn't help, bearing in mind Karen Matthews did a lot of acting herself at that time when pretending her kid was missing.

With this post. KM acted very weird throughout - and the actress catches that weirdness very well I think.

D

Deleted member 15344

Caught a bit of it when HID was watching. Thought the actress who played Karen was brutal. Awful acting.

They said that the actress managed to capture KM brilliantly , it was spot on the way KM acted - even the dancing to the phone ringing

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just what is the point of this programme at all?? we all know what happened its not a good thing so why dredge it up?? It just appears the BBC cant get any good writers with imagination any more...They find a good idea then run it into the ground, but Moorside is not a good idea.

The programme isn't really about Karen Matthews, it is about the effect it had on the Moorside community. The way they responded to and came together to search and gather support to find a child. The next episode I'm sure will focus on the effect of finding out the truth and the anger and betrayal they felt afterwards.

Last edited: