MARMITE MURRAY

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps that is why she said "yes" in the first place. The pressure to help Andy and satisfy his desire to play his last Wimbledon.
To say it "100% on her" is overlooking her injury issues and history just for the Murray legacy.
It's not her fault he can't play the singles or got knocked out of the doubles at the first hurdle.

I still feel she should have just said no if in any doubt. He would no doubt have asked someone else. We'd be unlikely to ever know she'd turned him down. I can only think she expected to be knocked out of the singles by now.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Gosh, I really hope that's not the reason.

Nope. Nothing to see here.

Tennis is a very minor sport in the UK. Except for the first two weeks in July, it doesn't get a mention.

Her US Open win came when everyone was in bed and I'm not sure it was on terrestrial tv either. In much of this country, tennis is as class biased as golf was pre 1980.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he asked her AFTER he withdrew from the singles. So I feel this is 100% on her. She could have said no and that would have been wise given her physical frailty. Maybe she didn't expect to still be in the singles so it would have been fine.

Anyway. I hope she wins today. She's been in great form. Just feels a bit sour as I'm such a fan of Andy.

Maybe her wrist injury manifested after she said yes, which then made it “sorry but no.”

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Tennis is a very minor sport in the UK. Except for the first two weeks in July, it doesn't get a mention.

Her US Open win came when everyone was in bed and I'm not sure it was on terrestrial tv either. In much of this country, tennis is as class biased as golf was pre 1980.
Really? There are council courts all over the place.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Andy would have pulled out without a second thought if the tables were turned.

The criticism of her is grossly unfair.
Absolutely this ^^^^ cant believe the number of 'clueless' comments on here.
Top notch being the one suggesting that the mixed would be 'good warm up tennis' for her.🤣🤣

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sorry but you're way off the mark. I've come to tennis from golf and no way is it class biased. Very affordable. Very inclusive. I'm a member at two clubs - still costs less than half a single golf club membership would.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes... I'd pretty much agree with this. Like Sheffield's Roger Taylor in the '70's I came to the game, in the NE, through Parks tennis in the 60's. Clubs maybe, like golf, somewhat less exclusive nowadays but still has a strong sniff of such.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Tennis is a lot more accessible these days - a lot of it is down to the success in recent years of British players

Our local club is around £150 a year for full member

Believe there is around 4K tennis clubs in the UK now and around 3mil tennis players

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I think that most people have no idea of the stress that a game like tennis puts on the human body.

Raducanu ( I can see Vic Reeves saying that…..Ra. Doo Kaa Noooooo) has been playing since she could hold a racket, had incredible success very early on, then got injured and had operations on both wrists

She is fragile and needs to pace where she plays and when.

Tennis at top level is really tough, way harder than golf 👍

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that most people have no idea of the stress that a game like tennis puts on the human body.

Raducanu ( I can see Vic Reeves saying that…..Ra. Doo Kaa Noooooo) has been playing since she could hold a racket, had incredible success very early on, then got injured and had operations on both wrists

She is fragile and needs to pace where she plays and when.

Tennis at top level is really tough, way harder than golf 👍

They have to have both endurance and speed and power. It's asking a lot of the human body for sure.

I dollied around the courts for 2 hours this morning and ibuprofen and ice has me just about hobbling around...

4LEX

Visit site
As much as I wanted Andy to play, I totally understand why Emma pulled out.
I don't understand why she doesn't get more support in this country.

Because she's hardly played any tennis over the past 2 years and when she has, it's been very medicore. There's been nothing for the British tennis fans to get behind.

The US Open was one of the most amazing achievments in British tennis but since then she's literally done nothing. It's as simple as that. Last week she was getting a lot of support at Wimbledon but the Murray thing will do her no favours and pulling out was badly advised.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because she's hardly played any tennis over the past 2 years and when she has, it's been very medicore. There's been nothing for the British tennis fans to get behind.

The US Open was one of the most amazing achievments in British tennis but since then she's literally done nothing. It's as simple as that. Last week she was getting a lot of support at Wimbledon but the Murray thing will do her no favours and pulling out was badly advised.
So if ER has "literally done nothing" since she won the US open, are we going slate AM for crying off from the singles, or are injuries only counted for certain people?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

She has suffered a lot of injuries over the last 2 years