MARMITE MURRAY

4LEX

Visit site
So if ER has "literally done nothing" since she won the US open, are we going slate AM for crying off from the singles, or are injuries only counted for certain people?

I think Murray was wrong to drop out of the singles as let's be honest, he had zero chance of winning the singles, doubles or mixed doubles. It was really about a final farewell which is something he deserved.

He must've been a lot worse than he's letting on IMO.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that most people have no idea of the stress that a game like tennis puts on the human body.

Raducanu ( I can see Vic Reeves saying that…..Ra. Doo Kaa Noooooo) has been playing since she could hold a racket, had incredible success very early on, then got injured and had operations on both wrists

She is fragile and needs to pace where she plays and when.

Tennis at top level is really tough, way harder than golf 👍
I'd say that singles badminton is more physical.
If, as I'd guess, Emma cleared it with Andy about pulling out, then it's really poor form by him not to be the one saying it wouldn't happen. Shocking putting it on her to take the can & be jumped on by those who have no idea of what's involved. Shame on you Andy.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I'd say that singles badminton is more physical.
If, as I'd guess, Emma cleared it with Andy about pulling out, then it's really poor form by him not to be the one saying it wouldn't happen. Shocking putting it on her to take the can & be jumped on by those who have no idea of what's involved. Shame on you Andy.

When did Murray do that ?

Seems a lot is being said about something that hasn’t actually happened

Radacanu made a decision and Murray hasn’t said anything so where is all the judgement of him coming from

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When did Murray do that ?

Seems a lot is being said about something that hasn’t actually happened

Radacanu made a decision and Murray hasn’t said anything so where is all the judgement of him coming from
Exactly..... should have come from him that she needs to concentrate on the singles but I know you don't get that.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Murray was wrong to drop out of the singles as let's be honest, he had zero chance of winning the singles, doubles or mixed doubles. It was really about a final farewell which is something he deserved.

He must've been a lot worse than he's letting on IMO.
In deed..... just a shame to drag Emma into it. Oh yes she could have said No... & then been damned by the Andy groupies.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he asked her AFTER he withdrew from the singles. So I feel this is 100% on her. She could have said no and that would have been wise given her physical frailty. Maybe she didn't expect to still be in the singles so it would have been fine.

Anyway. I hope she wins today. She's been in great form. Just feels a bit sour as I'm such a fan of Andy.
So the greatest British tennis player of modern times asks you to be his mixed doubles partner in his swansong Wimbledon appearance. Have you actually considered how flattering and exciting that must have been for Raducanu who is relatively very young, and how damned difficult it would have been to refuse...irrespective of her fitness or otherwise.

Hey...I get that you are a Murray fan and can understand the disappointment at not seeing him again...but to be honest, the send off he got after playing with his brother should have been his swansong...not some contrived last minute encore.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe the true reason she pulled out was because the powers that be shoehorned their match on centre court as 4th match. They would have been starting the match about 8-9pm, when she had an important singles match the following day. I think the stiff wrist excuse was used as the scheduling reason would have looked worse to the public that don’t understand and not wanting to upset the all england club by blaming their scheduling.

This was caused by Murray wanting yet another farewell adulation and Wimbledon wanting a big show match.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thought the whole thing could have been handled better all round. If Radacanu had any doubts about the ability to play singles and doubles and her body to stand up she should have simply said no and Murray could have found someone else. I think off the back of this she has had a bad rap for her actions. As frustrated as Murray would have been as someone who knows about injuries I think he understands her position.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
“Time(age) waits for no man.” And what a damn shame careers come to an end. I’ve just looked at Murray’s ATP ranking over the last however many years - wow! He got into the top 20 in 2006, through to 2018. Top 4 for 9 years - no one hit wonder. Without looking into the detail it then rose to 100+, which I guess is down to injuries and surgery. He got it below 100 in 2022, i.e. 47. 36 last year and currently 42.

There’s no hiding out on the wing in tennis. To get it back down against a backdrop of injuries and players 15-ish years younger than him is phenomenal.

But who is going to lead British men’s tennis to even half decent heights now? When will we see a British man in a semi-final, let alone a final?

And as an aside, it would be great to see Raducanu fulfilling her early promise but I’m not convinced she’s strong enough to maintain a sustained challenge up the rankings. Hope I’m wrong but it looks like British tennis is due a spell in the doldrums again.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought the whole thing could have been handled better all round. If Radacanu had any doubts about the ability to play singles and doubles and her body to stand up she should have simply said no and Murray could have found someone else. I think off the back of this she has had a bad rap for her actions. As frustrated as Murray would have been as someone who knows about injuries I think he understands her position.
Oh yeah.... & what would Joe-public & the gutter press have thought about that?? I'm afraid this has been all about Murray & that is rather sad with all he has done over the years for Bitish tennis

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Oh yeah.... & what would Joe-public & the gutter press have thought about that?? I'm afraid this has been all about Murray & that is rather sad with all he has done over the years for Bitish tennis
Had she said no at the outset because of her fragility he would have been able to pick another partner and got his final day on court

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
“Time(age) waits for no man.” And what a damn shame careers come to an end. I’ve just looked at Murray’s ATP ranking over the last however many years - wow! He got into the top 20 in 2006, through to 2018. Top 4 for 9 years - no one hit wonder. Without looking into the detail it then rose to 100+, which I guess is down to injuries and surgery. He got it below 100 in 2022, i.e. 47. 36 last year and currently 42.

There’s no hiding out on the wing in tennis. To get it back down against a backdrop of injuries and players 15-ish years younger than him is phenomenal.

But who is going to lead British men’s tennis to even half decent heights now? When will we see a British man in a semi-final, let alone a final?

And as an aside, it would be great to see Raducanu fulfilling her early promise but I’m not convinced she’s strong enough to maintain a sustained challenge up the rankings. Hope I’m wrong but it looks like British tennis is due a spell in the doldrums again.

If he can stay healthy then Jack Draper could definitely challenge. Big if though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Jack Draper is currently no 28, moving up

Cameron Norrie is currently 42, has been up to 8

Men's tennis is in a better place than it frequently has been. Both of those, Draper in particular, could mount a challenge at some point.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Jack Draper is currently no 28, moving up

Cameron Norrie is currently 42, has been up to 8

Men's tennis is in a better place than it frequently has been. Both of those, Draper in particular, could mount a challenge at some point.
Boulter was also seeded in this years draw and is climbing the rankings , Dart coming back as well