The Masters 2018

D

Deleted member 18588

Good bag man & mate.
As apposed to just mate.

I don't believe he had caddied for anyone else prior to getting the Spieth gig.

This forum is truly amazing, so many know who is and who isn't a good caddy and yet have most probably never had the services of one, certainly not on a regular basis.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speith's caddy is one of his best mates though so how does that work?
You could see when Spieth made a birdie on one hole he turned to his caddy to say yes you were right about the break

So clearly his caddy has a lot of input and even overrides Spieth at times and he trusts what his caddy says

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
There was a nice little exchange between Spieth and his caddie on the tee of the 12th on Sunday (which I saw on the Amen Corner stream, not sure if it was part of the regular broadcast). Spieth was between clubs and you could see that he was panicking a bit. His caddie did a fantastic job in talking him down and reassuring him in that situation and Spieth trusted his judgement, hit a good approach and made birdie. I don't need to be an expert to see that that is good caddying.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a nice little exchange between Spieth and his caddie on the tee of the 12th on Sunday (which I saw on the Amen Corner stream, not sure if it was part of the regular broadcast). Spieth was between clubs and you could see that he was panicking a bit. His caddie did a fantastic job in talking him down and reassuring him in that situation and Spieth trusted his judgement, hit a good approach and made birdie. I don't need to be an expert to see that that is good caddying.

However that all said caddies can only work with the attuide of their bosses

Spieth clearly listens and reacts to his caddy well and if he gets a knock he straight back in

Same with fowler , he looked out of it at one point and ended up second. He is becoming a short game wizard

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
Agree that the player - caddy partnership is critical. Total trust required, especially at Augusta. At the end of the day, ball calls are going to be made on club selection at points. Greller and Spieth work well as of course do the likes of Fooch and Rose.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
preed.png

Credit: @PGAMemes on Instagram

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Yeh saw that - Speith and his caddy were clearly delighted/relieved when he got the ball on the green - and Speith did a rather nice self-deprecating hurrah to the 'patrons' by the tee.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
preed.png

Credit: @PGAMemes on Instagram

I read an account of Reed's college shenanigans and his relationship with his parents and sister. The college stuff sounded very regrettable. The latter - a total breakdown in his relationships - sounded very sad indeed - aided and abetted by his wife - and something that you'd hope he'll manage to reconcile things with them in the coming months or years. Don't stay fallen-out with the ones you love - they might not be there tomorrow when you've decided to make up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read an account of Reed's college shenanigans and his relationship with his parents and sister. The college stuff sounded very regrettable. The latter - a total breakdown in his relationships - sounded very sad indeed - aided and abetted by his wife - and something that you'd hope he'll manage to reconcile things with them in the coming months or years. Don't stay fallen-out with the ones you love - they might not be there tomorrow when you've decided to make up.
I've read a couple of things saying he has fallen out with his parents but none of them said how or why. Did you find an article that explained the actual situation? If so, is it online somewhere? I'd be interested to read.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've read a couple of things saying he has fallen out with his parents but none of them said how or why. Did you find an article that explained the actual situation? If so, is it online somewhere? I'd be interested to read.

T'was because they disagreed with him marrying his now wife.

The guy can play golf and there are a considerable number of his peers who have (or rumoured to have) a checked past!

If you scan the press you'll find mention of Mickleson's gambling, Westwood's divorce battle, Singh's 'stag' supplements, Garcia's domestic woes, Woods arrest, divorce etc, etc, Monty's divorce and rule 'bending', Johnson's rumoured drug issues, Daly's drinking, McIlroy's dumped his girl just before his wedding date and so on.

It is a pity that the press like to focus on the negatives but for me Patrick Reed won because he played the best golf - the rest is private/domestic and just noise.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Difference between all those things is those guys all came out, openly talked about the issues or apologised for any wrong-doing where applicable, allowed people to forgive them and moved on. Reed could have a great redemption story if he talked about his indiscretions openly and apologised but he refuses to even discuss anything from his past so people can't relate to him. He isn't popular on Tour, had an awful reputation in college, fell out with his parents and then had them kicked out of the US Open when he found out they'd turned up to watch him play and comes across as obnoxious and arrogant on the golf course. Easily the least likeable man on Tour.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I don't like Reed either, but that is his role (chosen by him consciously or not). He is the designated bad guy. Every sport is a bit like wrestling in that respect. People want to see heros and villains. They want story. They want drama. And teh media is happy to provide that. As long as I haven't met him personally, I don't really trust my judgement on this.

I find that Reed comes across like the ugly fat kid in the supermarket that throws a fit because he wants icecream. But I cannot pinpoint that to anything he has said or done which I have witnessed first hand (or at least, you know, like in a live broadcast on tv). Apart from his boasting that he is good enough to be among the top 5 of the world (which I would not put past him ... he is not that far offf ... I think he is no. 11 now and he was no. 7 at some point), everything else is more or less hearsay. So I might just be judging him unfairly.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I couldn’t give a hoot about his private life or whether he is liked or not - he is an excellent golfer who closed the Masters out down the stretch - that is worthy of respect from all true golf fans.

D

Deleted member 1147

I like Patrick Reed.

He's passionate about his game, been great in his 2 Ryder Cup appearances, is confident, is a proven winner, is always polite and obliging in interviews, and, has a great short game.

I couldn't give a crap about his past, family situation or anything else off the course - he's a golfer nothing more, nothing less.

Even though I wanted an Englishman, Brit', or European to win (in that order), I'm more than happy for him to win as they weren't good enough on the day:thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He's a great golfer but he risks not reaching his full potential if he carries around anger and resentments - especially relating to family - for the rest of his career. Hope they find some reconciliation.