The Masters 2015 Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Me neither, I was just being facetious. Monty was imo a much better player and over a longer period of time than Janzen, and many of the other 1 or 2 major wonders you could name. Winning 1 or 2 majors alone does not make you a 'great' in my book, but by the same taken you do have to be a major winner to be classed as a great. Monty's other achievements were outstanding and those combined with 1 major would have made him a great, but the fact he could never get over the line rules him out.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
0 PGA Tour events , Zero majors - no WGC - yes he is not one of the games greats IMO

A very good player no doubt and one of the best that has been on the ET

who you referring to?

My point was an individual with many PGA tour wins, topping money lists and bagging 1 major wouldnt make this person a great player in your eyes?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I watched 10 mins, before the par 3 comp started where Monty was with Sarah Stirk explaining the intricacies of one of the par 3 putting greens. With that very clever raised image of the green and bunkers.

I thought Monty was brilliant in his description of how a top golfer plans his strategy on the greens.
Can't see how he gets so much stick on here as it's enlightening to listen to the thoughts of one of the greats of the game.

Long may he continue with Sky. :whistle:

Possible because much of commentary in the past has involved him talking about 'May (sic) Team'! I agree that his technical analysis is great - and that he was/is a great player - in spite of his failure to win a major! He's certainly a better player than some of those that have won majors,so winning a major isn't essential/doesn't define a great player imo - though it certainly 'scores points'!

D

Deleted member 15344

who you referring to?

My point was an individual with many PGA tour wins, topping money lists and bagging 1 major wouldnt make this person a great player in your eyes?

For me to be one of the games great first and foremost must contain multiple major wins to his name - that's where the name is made - on the biggest stage in golf

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with Phil. I'll never see a player without a major win as a great of the game. Monty, Westwood, Sergio, Donald all very good players, but not greats.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm with Phil. I'll never see a player without a major win as a great of the game. Monty, Westwood, Sergio, Donald all very good players, but not greats.

What about one major wonders? Played well for four days and won a major but with careers far inferior to the likes of Monty and Westwood, especially with their RC pedigree as well. Todd Hamilton a better player?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about one major wonders? Played well for four days and won a major but with careers far inferior to the likes of Monty and Westwood, especially with their RC pedigree as well. Todd Hamilton a better player?

Didn't say that. A major makes a career if a player has the tournament wins to back it up, but a one-major wonder isn't a great player. Great players win loads on Tour, and then win the big tournaments to back it up. Monty and Westwood are good players, and better players than Todd Hamilton, but they're not "greats of the game" for me.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hardly ever gamble but like a little bet on the masters. Can't wait for things to get going now.

Just put £50 down spread across the following:

McIlroy to win outright.
Then e/w punts on:
Day
Walker
Speith
D Johnson
Koepka

D

Deleted member 15344

you avoided answering the question- you don't work for the SNP by any chance?

Look it's all opinions - i don't class someone who has never won a major as one of the greats in the game - McIlroy was destined to be one of the greats from when h burst on the scene of he full filled his potential - he is doing and will be remembered as one of the greats of the game when he finishes his career - the same with Els , Singh , Mickleson and others who have won multiple majors to back up stellar tour careers

You or anyone doesn't have to follow that set of guidelines - it's all about your own opinion

Monty was an excellent golfer - will be remembered as one of the best seen on the Eurooean Tour

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Look it's all opinions - i don't class someone who has never won a major as one of the greats in the game - McIlroy was destined to be one of the greats from when h burst on the scene of he full filled his potential - he is doing and will be remembered as one of the greats of the game when he finishes his career - the same with Els , Singh , Mickleson and others who have won multiple majors to back up stellar tour careers

You or anyone doesn't have to follow that set of guidelines - it's all about your own opinion

Monty was an excellent golfer - will be remembered as one of the best seen on the Eurooean Tour

yes it is, but you set out your stall stating anyone who hasn't won multiple Majors isn't great in your eyes. As you didnt have a time machine you didnt know what McIlroy would achieve after Major 1.
So in your eyes he wasn't great at that stage? yes?

Just clarifying, but it was just my opinion that Monty was/is great then you came out with some formula

p.s I don't regard Singh as a great, I dont even rate him as good- but there are many factors that preclude him in my eyes:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

yes it is, but you set out your stall stating anyone who hasn't won multiple Majors isn't great in your eyes. As you didnt have a time machine you didnt know what McIlroy would achieve after Major 1.
So in your eyes he wasn't great at that stage? yes?

Just clarifying, but it was just my opinion that Monty was/is great then you came out with some formula

p.s I don't regard Singh as a great, I dont even rate him as good- but there are many factors that preclude him in my eyes:rolleyes:

The post you replied too explains my opinion clear as day -:thup:

Now back to 2015 Masters

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
CCJJL49W0AAiBOh.jpg

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fair play to Rory's caddy Niall Horan from 1direction, brave man to take on that tee shot... So much pressure! Loving the par 3 tournament!

In interview think he said he was off 12 /13 but even so - apparently Rory is going to sign a few lines at a 1D concert later in the year. Sounds like a good idea after the 4th pint but .............
Hope he didn't break Rory's driver when he fell over.:eek: Not sure why he needed it on the par three course.:confused:

I thought that - Rory said something like 'I thought I "stick" him with the full bag' so perhaps part of the 'caddy for a day' experiance rather than a wedge and a putter which seem to be what most of the Pro's kids are carrying.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I found it hard to believe that he was that low.

To be fair I think he was bricking it and visually it was all water - and I've seen plenty of guys that low and lower play equally bad shots. I'm not much worse than that at 14 and I can play some stinkers.