The low trajectory, high spinning wedge shot

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, stupid question
I've just dosed up on anti-histamine so might be a bit frazzled

How on earth does a "low trajectory high spinning" shot ever generate more spin than a higher lighted shot?
If you play it de lofted or with a Lower lofted club then it must have less spin?

Confused

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm guessing that the ball on a higher trajectory shot will start to lose its spin up in the air as it spends more time airborne whereas on a lower trajectory, with less time airborne, will spin until it hits the ground and can then affect the balls movement

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can produce lots of spin from low or high short (40-75' kind of distance) pitch shots, when you learn how to hit the lower version does give you a lot of control. Which is why so many tour pros use the shot.
But as ever depends what in front of you as to which you'd choose to use & why.
You're using a lower loft but ball position is central hands level over front of ball (not 4" in front with a deloft) so the shaft has only a little forward lean, your right hand has a little angle to it but the motion is provided by a wide arc arm swing speed governed by a smooth accelerating chest turn, so the angle of approach is shallow no great deloft, no active hand action, you hold the angle presented more the true loft to the ball but the arm/chest action still gives a low launch angle & where the ball is struck & how gives it lots of spin.

[video=youtube_share;DwYufZUF5xc]http://youtu.be/DwYufZUF5xc[/video]

Last edited:

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
I've watched a number of videos with that Andrew Rice fella in. He really does seem to know an awful lot about wedge shots.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I took a video of myself practising this kind of little pitch a while back. helps when the greens are more receptive. into the wind is also a factor to keep in mind.

[video=youtube;GRKkJmJH1SA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRKkJmJH1SA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
I took a video of myself practising this kind of little pitch a while back. helps when the greens are more receptive. into the wind is also a factor to keep in mind.

[video=youtube;GRKkJmJH1SA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRKkJmJH1SA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

How do you keep your 60 degree so low?

When I use mine the ball just goes up and not very far.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
that shot if I remember correctly was played, feet about 6 inches apart, ball centre, weight a little forward, hands a touch ahead, blade square then simply Phil's hinge and hold where the handle always stays ahead of the club head and give it a sharp dunt into the back of the ball hitting down.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;DwYufZUF5xc]http://youtu.be/DwYufZUF5xc[/video]

Very good - along the lines of a not dissimilar argument on here from a few years back - the greater the friction at contact, and greater the time of the frictional contact, the closer the ball trajectory will be to the club path; the less the friction the closer to the loft angle.

So it has nothing to do with de lofting, which is interesting because I am sure many people try to play these shots with a delotfed club off their back foot !

Thanks for the clarification - very useful

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thanks for the comments so far.

I tried it yesterday with my 50 degree wedge.

I was getting the right trajectory but the ball just rolled out with no spin :(

Grooves were clean and I was playing a Pro V1

Maybe it was a LOFT problem :whistle:

:rofl:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What was the green like ? Hard or soft ?

It's very hard get spin on a ball enough to get it to stop quickly on hard greens

I am afraid I have to disagree with this

counter intuitively what you actually want are tight fast green = these give you the best reaction to the proper spin elements on the ball.

soft greens react to trajectory in a way that firm greens will simply ignore.

if, by hard greens, you mean rock hard with the ball bouncing 6ft in the air then obviously I agree - but the ball will still grab faster when it finally comes to earth the third time on a tight green than a soft grassy one.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am afraid I have to disagree with this

counter intuitively what you actually want are tight fast green = these give you the best reaction to the proper spin elements on the ball.

soft greens react to trajectory in a way that firm greens will simply ignore.

if, by hard greens, you mean rock hard with the ball bouncing 6ft in the air then obviously I agree - but the ball will still grab faster when it finally comes to earth the third time on a tight green than a soft grassy one.

You may well be right, but Mr Pelz appears to disagree
He says the amount of indent is key, and that is a function of both angle of impact and softness

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So it has nothing to do with de lofting, which is interesting because I am sure many people try to play these shots with a delotfed club off their back foot !

pretty sure you cant get that very low trajectory shot without de-lofting. you use a high loft wedge to keep that spin loft up! :thup: