Hitting a low shot.

Swango1980

Visit site
You're doing something wrong then.
Putting the ball back in the stance, hands forward and weight forward all de-loft the club used, therefore lowering the launch angle.
Have a lesson
Ohh, I know I'm doing something wrong. If my intention is to hit a low ball, and I try and follow all those fundamentals and it still pops into the air, I know I have not perfected the shot. :)

I think it is the danger of following generic advice. It may work for some people, but for others could do more harm than good.

AliMc

Visit site
Playing a windy links for nye on 40 years I generally hit it very low with most clubs in the bag, usually take a fair divot with all my irons and generate a fair bit spin with the shorter irons. As others have already said take at least one more club (in breezy conditions - up to 3 more in a gale) grip down, ball a touch back in the stance, slightly truncated back swing and swing smoothly through the ball with a truncated follow through, I sometimes tend to hit them a wee bit left so i open the face a bit, but get on the range and practice it a bit before hitting the course. Oh forgot, you might find you shank a few too !

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Ohh, I know I'm doing something wrong. If my intention is to hit a low ball, and I try and follow all those fundamentals and it still pops into the air, I know I have not perfected the shot. :)

I think it is the danger of following generic advice. It may work for some people, but for others could do more harm than good.

I can only assume you're either still taking too much of a lofted club or you're scooping it up :/

Can you post a video?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've spent a lifetime hitting such recovery shots out of the trees at my club.
Miss the fairway left and I need to hit a low runner with some hook spin.
Conversely if I miss the fairway right - low runner with slice spin.
I find these shots much easier with something like a 1971 Greentree Accurist Lee Trevino 3-iron than with any modern "forgiving" long iron.
I want to slice/hook it and a low flight, so I don't want a club (for these shots) that makes it harder to do this or one with a sole that encourages more lift.

So, for me at least, an old bladed long iron is a "recovery club".

Last edited: