Hitting a low shot.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good day all,

How do you a hit a low shot? I struggle when I have to play a shot that needs to stay low and go under branches. I know the answer is to stay away from the trees but unfortunately that don't happen.
At the moment if I have to try and play a low shot it will stay high and smash into the trees.

Bob do you have any of your videos on how to do it, I still use your chipping one ??????

Cheers

Midnight...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The biggest mistake some people make is they hit it too hard.
Hitting it hard increases the speed which increases the spin which makes it go higher.
Take a longer club, grip down and play a 'soft punch' if that makes sense.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The biggest mistake some people make is they hit it too hard.
Hitting it hard increases the speed which increases the spin which makes it go higher.
Take a longer club, grip down and play a 'soft punch' if that makes sense.

Thank you Bob, in regards to ball position is that further forward or back.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 or 3 more clubs than you actually need for the distance and slow steady punch with little follow through.

Personally I do play mine in the back of the stance with an open stance to allow for the fact that the club face will not be back to square when you hit the ball.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rick shields posted a video on a low punch hybrid shot, I’ve used that a lot this winter.

Grip low (right hand right at the bottom of the grip) , Hands forward , club back in the stance, slightly narrow stance with weight a little on the front foot, swing 10 o clock to 2 o clock, but make sure you aim slightly more left.

Swango1980

Visit site
Good day all,

How do you a hit a low shot? I struggle when I have to play a shot that needs to stay low and go under branches. I know the answer is to stay away from the trees but unfortunately that don't happen.
At the moment if I have to try and play a low shot it will stay high and smash into the trees.

Bob do you have any of your videos on how to do it, I still use your chipping one ??????

Cheers

Midnight...
This is the impossible shot for me. The only way I can keep the ball low is to use a putter.

Swango1980

Visit site
Rick shields posted a video on a low punch hybrid shot, I’ve used that a lot this winter.

Grip low (right hand right at the bottom of the grip) , Hands forward , club back in the stance, slightly narrow stance with weight a little on the front foot, swing 10 o clock to 2 o clock, but make sure you aim slightly more left.
Never works for me. It just makes me hit down steeper on ball, putting more spin on it and sending it airborne

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Good day all,

Cheers

Midnight...

My tecnique.

Move ball further back in my stance an inch or two.
Grab my GAPR mid 3
Choke down to the bottom of the grip
Hands forward at address
Swing slow and easy and don't try to hit the ball hard - just ensure I make a good centre strike with good ground contact
I can advance the ball 150+ yards using the above and the ball never gets above shoulder height.

It goes wrong when I try and hit it too hard!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Imagine there is a high tree to get over and try and hit a high shot - it is guaranteed to go low!

Well it is when I try and go over trees! :ROFLMAO: