The last golf trip you planned

maite400h

Visit site
Just curious about your experience when you booked your last golf holiday. Did you book with a travel agent or did you search around and book it on your own? Any disappointments or insight you could share?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Bit if both. There are people whose opinion I trust at a couple of tour operators I ring and say "sell me something " and they rarely let me down.

Or places I know well I book myself.

But, The big travel companies often get places cheaper due to their bulk discounts. So worth comparing.

Some trips are hybrid. Eg Glynn gets 3 days organised and it ends up a 2 week trip!

D

Deleted member 21258

I have looked high and low for a link in the post, but cant see one.:D

I booked direct for Ireland & Britain trips we have done. We always look at twilight rates or reduced rates for off peak times and booking in advance for places like Travelodge due normally to the discounts they offer for the early bird.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have planned two this year. One at a major UK venue, one in a town 100 miles away, 2 different courses when there. I booked the major venue through a travel company, YGT, as I could not get near their prices when booking independently. All done very smoothly, simply and efficient. The nearby one I will book myself, I have done it before and it is simple enough.

Regarding insights, have a little flexibility regarding dates and courses. That will keep the prices down or avoid disappointments. Research the courses you are looking to play so you have a good idea they will both appeal and be suitable. Check if they have any comps or events on whilst you are playing. I was once in a 2 ball, stuck behind half a course full of 3 balls in comp. Turgid does not cover it and it definitely impacted our enjoyment of the round.

maite400h

Visit site
Bit if both. There are people whose opinion I trust at a couple of tour operators I ring and say "sell me something " and they rarely let me down.

But, The big travel companies often get places cheaper due to their bulk discounts. So worth comparing.

Some trips are hybrid. Eg Glynn gets 3 days organised and it ends up a 2 week trip!

Some trips are hybrid. Eg Glynn gets 3 days organised and it ends up a 2 week trip![/QUOTE

When you use tour operators is it because you are going outside of the UK ? Do you normally stay in a resort or hotel close to the golf course or do you prefer self catering? also which places do you know best is in the UK or places in other countries?

maite400h

Visit site
I have planned two this year. One at a major UK venue, one in a town 100 miles away, 2 different courses when there. I booked the major venue through a travel company, YGT, as I could not get near their prices when booking independently. All done very smoothly, simply and efficient. The nearby one I will book myself, I have done it before and it is simple enough.

Regarding insights, have a little flexibility regarding dates and courses. That will keep the prices down or avoid disappointments. Research the courses you are looking to play so you have a good idea they will both appeal and be suitable. Check if they have any comps or events on whilst you are playing. I was once in a 2 ball, stuck behind half a course full of 3 balls in comp. Turgid does not cover it and it definitely impacted our enjoyment of the round.

You used the travel company as they were able to get you a good deal on price that you couldnt get on your own looking through different websites? even though you used a travel company I am guessing from your insights that you also take time to research the courses. What is a deciding factor for you when you choose a course and how long do you spend searching for info on where you will play?

maite400h

Visit site
If to Spain or Portugal I took the lazy route and used a golf travel company. Anything in the U.K. I’d DIY.

WHen you say take the lazy route does that mean you do not want to spend the time researching the courses and the accommodations?!!! This is the most time consuming part when planning a golf trip abroad? Did you stay in a hotel or did they organize other type of accommodation for you? What is your favorite course to play in Spain?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You used the travel company as they were able to get you a good deal on price that you couldnt get on your own looking through different websites? even though you used a travel company I am guessing from your insights that you also take time to research the courses. What is a deciding factor for you when you choose a course and how long do you spend searching for info on where you will play?
Which course I choose comes down to:

Quality of course, why travel to an average course?
Style that I like, parkland and heathland for me
Location, max 4 hours drive
Cost, I will spend a certain amount but I do have an upper level and the courses have to come within that

I spend quite a while researching the courses as they are the key to any golf trip. For some trips the location is more important, nightlife, pubs, restaurants etc but the courses always have to come first. For special courses this is less relevant as the courses themselves are the most important. I've been lucky enough to play at Turnberry and Gleneagles and you don't go to either for an exciting night out. You can have a nice evening out but the golf is eveything there.

I would not simply open a golf holiday brochure and take a 'lucky dip'.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I think for me the research is a big part of the trip so using a 3rd party isn't really for me.

In the past when I have been on trips through them, the majority of those venues used by these agencies are chock full of societies and super busy as they are hotel courses with 'set' round structures.

I prefer a more tailored approach which I can sort out on my own.

maite400h

Visit site
I think for me the research is a big part of the trip so using a 3rd party isn't really for me.

In the past when I have been on trips through them, the majority of those venues used by these agencies are chock full of societies and super busy as they are hotel courses with 'set' round structures.

I prefer a more tailored approach which I can sort out on my own.

That make sense! It didn't occur to me that yes the venues could be rammed with people. Would you still stay at a hotel or do you prefer an apartment or villa or just somewhere where it isn't chocker block with people. It does seem quite time consuming to plan the trip. When you research into the trip do you spend most of time researching the golf course, or the area, where you will stay or what you might do?

Hackers76

Visit site
Always do plenty of research on location and courses as with the information available on the web it is very easy to do. Then book through a golf travel company based on what we want to do. This has always been for decent sized groups as they make it nice and easy.

D

Deleted member 23270

Always put my own trips together based around the courses that I want to play. Next trip is Ireland, select the courses/dates then book flights and hotels.

carldudley

Visit site
When i've been to Dubai/Abu Dhabi i've done those myself and they've been more holidays, with some golf on the side.

Recently went to Celtic Manor and booked with YGT. Price was very decent (£170 one night in the hotel and two rounds) and the customer service was good and all went smoothly - apart from the courses being in rotten condition.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That make sense! It didn't occur to me that yes the venues could be rammed with people. Would you still stay at a hotel or do you prefer an apartment or villa or just somewhere where it isn't chocker block with people. It does seem quite time consuming to plan the trip. When you research into the trip do you spend most of time researching the golf course, or the area, where you will stay or what you might do?
Apologies for jumping in on this reply but for me, and perhaps other golfers, the planning is part of the fun. Don't forget it is golfers researching golf courses, what's not to love about that? Looking at the course websites, reading other golfers reviews, finding pictures of the courses, clubhouses etc. I enjoy that.

I don't take as long researching the accomodation but that generally is the easy bit. If in doubt, I'll use a Travelodge, Premier Inn etc and they are the same the country over.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
UK - I've booked our annual trip for the last 10 years. I've researched the course/hotel and booked direct with the venue (resort course) but we have also done it where we booked a Travelodge 10 months in advance and then booked the courses sperate.

Spain - booked flights asap and then used a golf company to book the hotel and courses after again looking at the courses we wanted to play and gave them the info which is available from their site. We sorted our transfers out.