the indoctrination continues

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
When my daughter was born I bought her a soft play golf toy and a baby grow with 'born to play golf with dad'.

My wife thought I was being a plonker.

I've also been taking her to the driving range since she could walk and have always encouraged her to hit golf balls. The incentive of an ice-cream has always proved incentive enough, so much so that she now asks me if I can take her at the weekends.

When we moved house I joked to my wife that I was going to paint golfers on her bedroom walls when I repainted them. It wasn't so much of a joke as I followed through with my plan. So she's got a stencil of Tiger Woods, a random female golfer and Seve in a row above her bed. In my opinion, they are really well done (but my Mrs hates them, unsurprisingly).

When I ask her who the golfers are, she can remember Tiger (because it's an animal), she says the female golfer is her but could never remember Seve. So last night I showed her some of Seve's highlights (and Tiger's) before putting her to bed. The Mrs went upstairs to give her some water and say goodnight and when she came downstairs she said 'well, you've done it now. She said she was going to dream all night long about golf' !!!

Lol. Sorry for the long (and probably really boring story).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When we moved house I joked to my wife that I was going to paint golfers on her bedroom walls when I repainted them. It wasn't so much of a joke as I followed through with my plan. So she's got a stencil of Tiger Woods, a random female golfer and Seve in a row above her bed. In my opinion, they are really well done (but my Mrs hates them, unsurprisingly).
Hmm, do I sense a bit of male privilege there?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
You do realise that the more you try and force kids to do something, the more they will rebel against it and do the complete opposite.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started from day one getting my daughter to like golf, footy and snooker. So far the mission is going along nicely, she actually asks for them to put on the TV.

Just to use some sly psychological techniques, the pic is a flag we got a fair few signatures on at practise day at the Open (Scarlett was there with us). And the other pic is it framed on her wall, so it's the first thing she sees when she wakes up.

IMG_1982.jpgIMG_2772.jpg

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Awesome, I have two grown up daughters and I wish they'd taken up the sports I tried to instil into them, not to be. They've gone their own way, although the younger one has recently said she'd like to give golf another go someday.
Good luck! :thup:

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I started from day one getting my daughter to like golf, footy and snooker. So far the mission is going along nicely, she actually asks for them to put on the TV.

Just to use some sly psychological techniques, the pic is a flag we got a fair few signatures on at practise day at the Open (Scarlett was there with us). And the other pic is it framed on her wall, so it's the first thing she sees when she wakes up.

View attachment 25029View attachment 25031

Amazing!

When I got home last night I asked my daughter if she wanted to watch some more videos of Seve before bedtime. She said yes. I then showed her a video of Michelle Wie.
Was saying good night as my dinner was ready when she said 'but you haven't shown me my video from the driving range and I still want to watch one of Tiger' ....

So I showed her Tiger's chip in at the Masters. Her face absolutely lit up when it went in.

My theory on all of this is as follows;
1 - Jensen is 100% right. She is a daddy's girl
2 - I get to spend lots of time with my daughter at the driving range - she currently enjoys hitting balls and gets an ice-cream

Will have to see how it progresses but I'll never force her to play golf.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Amazing!

When I got home last night I asked my daughter if she wanted to watch some more videos of Seve before bedtime. She said yes. I then showed her a video of Michelle Wie.
Was saying good night as my dinner was ready when she said 'but you haven't shown me my video from the driving range and I still want to watch one of Tiger' ....

So I showed her Tiger's chip in at the Masters. Her face absolutely lit up when it went in.

My theory on all of this is as follows;
1 - Jensen is 100% right. She is a daddy's girl
2 - I get to spend lots of time with my daughter at the driving range - she currently enjoys hitting balls and gets an ice-cream

Will have to see how it progresses but I'll never force her to play golf.

The wife likes watching golf and footy (not a fan of snooker) but she has said that when Scarlett starts golf lessons (this is inevitable, I play, her grandad plays, her uncle plays, her cousin is starting to play and a family friend is the kids teacher at the local range, plus she's already started swinging a set of plastic clubs in the back garden), Kath's then going to start learning herself. I'm looking forward to a Sunday afternoon knock with the family.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
The wife likes watching golf and footy (not a fan of snooker) but she has said that when Scarlett starts golf lessons (this is inevitable, I play, her grandad plays, her uncle plays, her cousin is starting to play and a family friend is the kids teacher at the local range, plus she's already started swinging a set of plastic clubs in the back garden), Kath's then going to start learning herself. I'm looking forward to a Sunday afternoon knock with the family.

Good stuff.

My wife had some golf lessons about 10 years ago. I don't think she will take it up again. She enjoys mini golf but that's about as far as it goes.
She also loves her gardening too much to warrant spending 4 hours at a golf course.

But both my in-laws play so there's a lot of golf in my kids' family

Next step is getting my son involved. He's 18 months and has used the plastic golf clubs we have. Might take him to the driving range at some point soon as well.