The importance of the weather on Golf courses

Antoinemb

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new in this community and in the world of golf and I would like to know if you often use meteorological appliances. I know that the wind along with the temperature are very important so I questioned myself about the appliances use on the golf courses.

TX fin advance for your answers :D

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As golf is an outdoor sport, the weather is obviously a big factor. Playing in gale force winds, pouring rain or extreme cold is not easy and less pleasant than playing on a nice still Summer's day. Apart from distance you are not allowed to measure any other factors directly, but you can prepare yourself by watching weather forecasts, or by throwing grass into the air to estimate the wind speed and direction.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My cigarette smoke tells me which way the wind is blowing :mmm:

Just kidding :whistle:

Funny how we are allowed to throw up pieces of grass to measure the wind/direction but can't use a 'proper' device.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My cigarette smoke tells me which way the wind is blowing :mmm:

Just kidding :whistle:

Funny how we are allowed to throw up pieces of grass to measure the wind/direction but can't use a 'proper' device.
A lady golfer I know has some coloured ribbons about 2 feet long tied to the handle of her electric trolley. They seem to act like windsocks and I have often wondered if they are strictly legal?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Windsocks are perfectly legal, and you see a lot of them near aerodromes
Yes, as a qualified pilot I know that most airfields have a windsock so you can see which runway is most into wind for take offs and landings. I was just questioning whether they are legal on golf courses, more specifically on golf bags or trolleys?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lady golfer I know has some coloured ribbons about 2 feet long tied to the handle of her electric trolley. They seem to act like windsocks and I have often wondered if they are strictly legal?

No different to watching the towel attached to a bag etc. Nothing in the rules (I stand to be corrected) to stop it

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, as a qualified pilot I know that most airfields have a windsock so you can see which runway is most into wind for take offs and landings. I was just questioning whether they are legal on golf courses, more specifically on golf bags or trolleys?

Definitely illegal Del.

As are flared trousers, long hair, really big ears and any hat with a (weather) cock on the top.

Rule 51c sect 4.
Decisions book page 165 para 8