The halfway hut - to stop or not to stop, that is the question? (W Shakespeare)

M

MetalMickie

We have something at our Club called "the curse of the Hut"; i.e. your standard of play deteriorates relative to the amounts consumed.
Personally don't use the facility yet I still don't lose any weight and my golf tends to be just as crap on the back 9, can this really mean there is no truth in "the curse"? H'm I wonder perhaps I will have a bacon cob next time. Purely in the interests of research you understand.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not played that many courses that have one.

My home course sometimes has a little van with all sorts on the bag, but that only gets used for some of the bigger comps or if it’s really hot weather but only does choc, tea and coffee or soft drinks and possibly the odd dram!!!

Castle Stuart has one and we stop at that cos its usually slow around there and not in any hurry anyway.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those who have met me, you will know that I am not the sort to walk past a bacon sandwich. Etiquette states that you play on to the 10th green then the person nearest the hole marks his ball and nips in to place the order. You then must be on the 11th tee when the group in front reach the green.

In the case of our course, if does not slow up play but rather helps split the groups up. The pace of play seems better of the back 9 simply because there is a good 10 minutes between each group.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree with the previous comment about Hindhead, great bacon sarnies from the hut and everyone seemed to stop. At Chart Hills you can order by phone and pick up your food at the next tee. There is also quite a good hut at Mid Sussex and a pleasant lady behind the counter. If the club goes to the trouble of providing the facility it seems a bit churlish not to use it otherwise it probably won't be there next time!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with the previous comment about Hindhead, great bacon sarnies from the hut and everyone seemed to stop. At Chart Hills you can order by phone and pick up your food at the next tee. There is also quite a good hut at Mid Sussex and a pleasant lady behind the counter. If the club goes to the trouble of providing the facility it seems a bit churlish not to use it otherwise it probably won't be there next time!

Forgot about the one at Mid-Sussex, and agree, nice lady serving.

How has the course survived the wet weather we've had of late?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don't have the need for one as it's 2 "loops" of 9 that end up back at the clubhouse.

Can order before you go and collect before going on to the 10th or phone them from the 9th tee, coffee and bacon roll waiting for you to soften the blow after counting up the blows on the front 9!!:)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I never stop at Westerham, and everyone else keeps going too from what I've seen. Possibly because we don't have a halfway house, but we do have the clubhouse spike bar with full kitchen!

I'll duck in for a tea or to pick up a drink I've left in there before starting, but other than that, no.

When visiting courses, I'll stop if my playing partners are, but I prefer not to. Disturbs my rhythm, such as it is!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always use when open depending on pace of play whether sit down or on the go.
Never come across the phone on the previous tee but think it's a cracking idea!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
When visiting courses, I'll stop if my playing partners are, but I prefer not to. Disturbs my rhythm, such as it is!

So that's why you were so twitchy at Bearwood Lakes. Next time I will have two bacon rolls, and a huge mug of tea.:ears:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The one at Mannings Heath is fairly busy, if you're not stopping you just get waved through which is nice. The one at Bearwood Lakes gets a lot of business as does the one on the West course at East Sussex National... however the one on the East course is 60yds from the 10th tee and it's such a chore to walk over there that it normally gets a miss :mad:

Guns

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok here is the issue. I stop at my current club, the pro shop is independent and only sells water, bottles of pop and chocolate bars. I stop every time as I think the pro goes a superb job and I see its has me making my small contribution. If the pace is slow however I will carry on without paying my visit and the same in match play.

However at my previous club they did bacon sandwiches, burgers etc and even bottles of beers. There was nothing more annoying than walking to the tenth and what appears but a bloody que on the tee of 2 groups of 4 whop are more interested in "is there enough red sauce on" rather than can they actually tee off. And comments like "you go mate why I just eat my butty"...........

D

Deleted member 1418

Part of my problem is that I always stop at a halfway hut....................:(

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
So that's why you were so twitchy at Bearwood Lakes. Next time I will have two bacon rolls, and a huge mug of tea.:ears:
I don't like to say anything at the time, in case it puts golfers off their bacon sarnies! ;)

Doc

Head Pro
Visit site
I learnt to play at Kigali GC, Rwanda.

We had a halfway hut there and every group stopped after the 9th green for a beer, soda and a bite.

When the next group putted out it was time to tee off at the 10th.

Always ensured there was a gap between groups and it was a welcome respite from the sun or rain depending on the season.

Back here in Cheshire we only have vending machines for hot/cold drinks and always grab one or the other when passing.

If there was attended service it would be nice just to sit have a brew and a bite to eat, tot up the scores then move on when the next group came off the 9th.

Cheers

Steve...

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I am a massivebeliever in stopping. Doesn't matter what the situation is for me. I always want to spend 10 minutes relaxing with a beverage and some food. Revenue for the club and fuel for me. Win Win. In South Africa we even have a guy who drives a refridgerated cart around which is full of beer/coke/crisps etc on some courses. Works his way from 18 to 1 in a constant loop so you usually run into him twice a round. Magic!